Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Judas Priest -- Vorst, Belgium -- March 16th, 1991
Black Label Society -- Memphis, TN -- July 27th, 2014
Megadeth -- Milwaukee, WI -- July 19th, 2013
Family Values Tour -- Denver, CO -- November 11th, 2001
Judas Priest -- Salt Lake City, UT -- November 12th, 1990

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 09-27-2012, 05:31 PM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

DAIMONOS'S DOOM/STONER/SLUDGE REDEMPTION THREAD

Alright, I know I let all of you guys down, and I'm sorry. When I made my original list I was taking my time at first, and I progressively stopped visiting this site more and more. Nowadays I'm more of a lurker here, just to keep up with new releases and the occaisonal setlist, but I figured I owe you guys, so I made a new list. This list is obviously different than my original, and instead of 25 albums, I'm doing 60. I know all of you are doubting me right now, but I promise I will get this one done in good time.

I'm going to keep the reviews short and sweet. I will have repeating bands on this one. These are just my personal favorites, I'm not claiming anything is better than anything else, this is just how they rank in my eyes. If I'm missing anything, it's because I don't download albums very often. I own most of these.

With all of this being said, I think this is necessary:

Old 09-27-2012, 05:42 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonos View Post
Alright, I know I let all of you guys down, and I'm sorry. When I made my original list I was taking my time at first, and I progressively stopped visiting this site more and more. Nowadays I'm more of a lurker here, just to keep up with new releases and the occaisonal setlist, but I figured I owe you guys, so I made a new list. This list is obviously different than my original, and instead of 25 albums, I'm doing 60. I know all of you are doubting me right now, but I promise I will get this one done in good time.

I'm going to keep the reviews short and sweet. I will have repeating bands on this one. These are just my personal favorites, I'm not claiming anything is better than anything else, this is just how they rank in my eyes. If I'm missing anything, it's because I don't download albums very often. I own most of these.

With all of this being said, I think this is necessary:

So i take it you are never going to finish the last list you made
10/19 - D.R.I
11/10 - Judas Priest
11/14 - Slayer
Old 09-27-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard in Black 666 View Post
So i take it you are never going to finish the last list you made
This list is an expansion of the last one, as my opinions have obviously changed in the time that I made that list. This list will include most if not all of the albums that were on that list.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:00 PM

Alright, I'm going to start off with numbers 60-51. Here we go.

60. Om - Pilgrimage
Stoner/Doom

The rhythm section of sleep is back with hypnotic bass/drum/mediation chant stoner/doom. This album flows very nicely and is heavy when it needs to be and soft where it counts. Conference of the Birds is another favorite of mine, and their new release Advaitic Songs is fantastic as well.

59. Reverend Bizarre - Harbinger of Metal
Traditional Doom

Ok, this is technically an EP, but it clocks in at 1.2 hours, so fuck that noise. Three new Reverend songs are introduced here, all clocking in at over 13 minutes, and all three are classic, slow, heavy, brooding, emotional Reverend Bizarre, while at times they get groovy as hell. The cover of Burzum's "Dunkelheit" is another highlight, I really like what they did with the song.

58. YOB - Atma
Stoner/Doom

Another fantastic offering from YOB. "Prepare the Ground" is the band in its heaviest, most epic form, while "Adrift in the Ocean" contains some of the most epic, emotional, jaw-dropping music the band has ever composed.

57. Cathedral - The Ethereal Mirror
Traditional Doom

I can't really take Cathedral seriously most of the time, mostly because of Lee Dorian. It's just not my thing for the most part. However, I thoroughly enjoy this album and its predecessor, Forest of Equilibrium. This album is some damn good doom. It's groovy, doomy, fun, and heavy.

56. Grief - Come to Grief
Sludge/Doom

I wish I was more familiar with this band than I am. This is a great album, but I feel that they have better ones out there. Grief plays slow, heavy, hateful jams, and they do it well.

55. Acid Witch - Stoned
Death/Doom/Heavy Metal

Acid Witch's Stoned is a heavy metal take on death/doom. These guys are fun as hell, and heavy as shit. The keyboards on this album intertwining with the heavy, party-esque riffage creates a great atmosphere full of satanic, doomy, debauchery. Fun fact of the day: I actually bought this album because I had been tripping on LSD all day, so of course when I went to the record store, I bought the album with "acid" in the bands title.

54. Weedeater - Sixteen Tons
Sludge Metal

All Weedeater is good Weedeater. This album is probably their slowest, doomiest offering, although at times it still holds the fun, southern feel that ...And Justice For Ya'll had throughout. Songs like "Lines", "Buzz", and "Time Served" are good examples of what Weedeater is all about.

53. Buzzov*en - At a Loss
Sludge Metal

This is another band that I wish I was more familiar with. Dixie Dave from Weedeater actually plays bass and does vocals on this album. This is some pretty seroius southern sludge metal. Fast when it needs to be, heavy when it needs to be. This is the kind of album that you blast when you've drank a bottle of whiskey and have to drive home.

52. YOB - The Illusion of Motion
Stoner/Doom

Yob's third album. Heavy as heavy can be. BALL OF MOLTEN LEAD GODDAMNIT.

51. Thorr's Hammer - Dommedagsnatt
Death/Doom

Stephen O'Malley and Greg Anderson's first band. Female vocals of the ugliest proportion over thick layers of pumelling guitars. What more do you want?
Old 09-27-2012, 06:10 PM

10/19 - D.R.I
11/10 - Judas Priest
11/14 - Slayer
Old 09-28-2012, 03:31 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

This thread rules.
7/30 - Counterparts/Hundredth

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 09-28-2012, 09:50 PM
Bringer of Darkness

Hell yeah man! Off to a great start.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:48 PM

You must continue on with this list and not let it die like the last one.
10/19 - D.R.I
11/10 - Judas Priest
11/14 - Slayer
Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 PM

50. Saint Vitus - V
Doom Metal

You should all know who Saint Vitus is. This is the last album they did with Wino until this year, and it serves as a pretty good fairwell if you ask me. Although this isn't as strong as the albums before it (besides their debut), it's worth a listen because it's motherfucking Saint Vitus.

49. Burning Witch - Crippled Lucifer
Drone/Doom

Stephen O'Malley's band after Thorr's Hammer. Slow, droning, heavy ass riffs with tortured drugged out screams of vocalist Edgy 59. This release is a combination of their two EP's, Rift.Canyon.Dreams and Towers.... If you like doom metal of dark, depressing, heavy proportions, then you need to check this one out.

48. Pentagram - Be Forewarned
Doom Metal

Pentagram's last album before they started making some god-awful albums. Be Forewarned is as doomy as their previous efforts, but it's a bit more melodic. Bobby Leibling's voice more controlled and soars more than any other release. "Vampyre Love" is a fucking anthem. This album was definitely written like it was going to be played in packed stadiums. Not their best, but still incredible.

47. Down - Down II: A Bustle in Your Hedgerow
Sludge Metal

I'm sure all of you are aware of who down is. This NOLA sludge supergroup returns with their second album which is arguably their heaviest. This one has got it's heavy moments, but it also has a few quieter, country-esque songs like "Learn from this Mistake" and "Where I'm Going". With that being said, there's nothing wrong with this album at all and its consistent from front to back.

46. Acid King - Busse Woods
Stoner/Doom

I really like this album and this band. Unfortunately though, this is really the only Acid King album I've fully digested. It's a great one though. Heavy and trippy yet calm the whole way through. Female vocalist Lori's soothing melodies on top of the bands droning Sabbath riffing make for a monumental, relaxing, tripped out journey through Busse Woods.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:58 AM
Trainwreck Architect

Awesome thread, some new stuff for me to check out!