Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Cheap Trick -- Boston, MA -- August 27th, 2014
Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Old 09-27-2012, 06:37 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampinUp46 View Post
I'm likely to get a lot of shit for this rant/opinion, but fuck it:

I remember when I was young and stupid (the heaviest stuff I had listened to was like, Korn or early Marilyn Manson at the time) and when I first heard Mandatory Suicide, it scared the shit out of me. Then the shock wore off and it was "pretty cool", so I checked them out some more, but I wasn't 100% impressed with Christ Illusion the same way I was with Hell Awaits, and here's why:

Compared to the speed of Show No Mercy, the aggression of Hell Awaits, and the slower tempos of South of Heaven, I just think that World Painted Blood and Christ Illusion just fall behind slightly. They're great, but not...great. I like those albums, don't get me wrong, but if all of Slayer's output was comparable to a track meet in high school, the 80's and early 90's material would be the elite, cream of the crop, the shit a lot of people love to talk about. Their later output would be the runoff of that, great, but not "100% Badass Hardcore Radikult"...and Diabolus in Musica would be the sorta chubby kid that only got to run because the others felt bad for him.

TL;DR: I think most of the hate comes from the opinion that Slayer hasn't changed their sound much since the mid-90's compared to their 80's output.
I'll give you shit for it, but only because you're being too kind to Slayer's recent output. They've flat-out sucked since Divine Intervention. I can count the number of good Slayer songs post-DI on one hand.