Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014

Old 09-26-2012, 08:06 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
New Muse has leaked!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
And it blows!

Electronica, Dubstep and Alternative Rock. It can be a good mix, but Muse fucked it up. 3 albums in a row they have disappointed me. I have officially given up on them.
Muse has always had some degree of electronica in their music, so nothing has changed here except maybe for the relative amount of it in the mix - and no, don't even think about saying, "yeah, it's ALL electronic this time!", because it's clearly not. The supermassive distaste for dubstep on this forum just makes me laugh. They do it on exactly ONE fucking track. One. And to tell you the truth, it's not overdone and it actually sounds kinda cool to me. Some of you people on here and your sensitive gag reflexes just make me chuckle. All electronic-sounding stuff is not dubstep. Get it through your heads.

EDIT: Also, are you saying that "Black Holes" was a disappointment?!?

Quote:
It does blow. Have you listened to it?? It's nothing but slow songs.
There is some truth here. The songs are a bit more tame this time around, and there are really no clear bangers like "Stockholm", "Hysteria", "Supermassive" or "Knights" on the new album. However, I think to say "it blows" is exaggerating quite a bit.

Quote:
I got the promo in my email late last night. I got 6 songs in before I had to click stop, then click delete. I just couldn't do it. I don't get what happened. they were phenomenal until Absolution *their highest peak*, then they just decided to go mainstream and the quality of songs just suck.
Congratulations on being objective and / or patient. Kids these days. It's all about instant gratification or fuck it and move on to the next sensory stimulus.

Quote:
I seriously thought they could not write a bad album until I listened to the new album...
Another overstatement in my opinion.

Quote:
It's a sad state for sure. How they thought doing Dubstep was going to make them a better band is beyond me. but I know at this point there is no going back. They are just going to continue to suck. Its not fair.
One song. One fucking song. Cool your jets, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I just heard the song Unsustainable and it sounded pretty cool, but it didn't sound like Muse. I'd like to hear how part two of the song is. The other songs I heard (Survival and Madness) were pretty boring.
Part two of the song has no dubstep in it, and it sounds rather like typical Muse fare. I do agree that the overall feel is that there is less to get excited about on this album, but there are definitely some classic Muse sounds here, and it's actually less of a departure from their typical style than "The Resistance" was. In a way, it's a return to form, with some experimentation in a few new directions. It's interesting, but not great.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 09-26-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:12 AM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Muse has always had some degree of electronica in their music, so nothing has changed here except maybe for the relative amount of it in the mix - and no, don't even think about saying, "yeah, it's ALL electronic this time!", because it's clearly not. The supermassive distaste for dubstep on this forum just makes me laugh. They do it on exactly ONE fucking track. One. And to tell you the truth, it's not overdone and it actually sounds kinda cool to me. Some of you people on here and your sensitive gag reflexes just make me chuckle. All electronic-sounding stuff is not dubstep. Get it through your heads.

There is some truth here. The songs are a bit more tame this time around, and there are really no clear bangers like "Stockholm", "Hysteria", "Supermassive" or "Knights" on the new album. However, I think to say "it blows" is exaggerating quite a bit.

Congratulations on being objective and / or patient. Kids these days. It's all about instant gratification or fuck it and move on to the next sensory stimulus.

One song. One fucking song. Cool your jets, son.

Part two of the song has no dubstep in it, and it sounds rather like typical Muse fare. I do agree that the overall feel is that there is less to get excited about on this album, but there are definitely some classic Muse sounds here, and it's actually less of a departure from their typical style than "The Resistance" was. In a way, it's a return to form, with some experimentation in a few new directions. It's interesting, but not great.
Nat, I've never wanted to high-five you so bad

I listened to the album last night, and really liked it. Like Nat said, there was only one track with dubstep influence, and it worked, too.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

You are definitely correct in everything you say Nat. I also noticed there was only one dubstep sounding song and that didn't stop me from listening to it. Every song is very tame and piano driven. It's definitely Muse, but not how I like hearing them. I like having at least a few hard hitting, guitar driven songs, but this album lacks that. I know Mathew wanted to experiment with more of an orchestral sounding album. I thought he would do something amazing after hearing Exogenesis, but it didn't turn out so well in my opinion. I still have hope for Muse in the future. I'm sure Mathew just needed to get these types of songs out of his system.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I'm sure Mathew just needed to get these types of songs out of his system.
The same way Mikael needed to get his inner 70's prog nerd out into the light with Heritage, right?
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 09-26-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I also noticed there was only one dubstep sounding song and that didn't stop me from listening to it. Every song is very tame and piano driven. It's definitely Muse, but not how I like hearing them. I like having at least a few hard hitting, guitar driven songs, but this album lacks that. I know Mathew wanted to experiment with more of an orchestral sounding album. I thought he would do something amazing after hearing Exogenesis, but it didn't turn out so well in my opinion. I still have hope for Muse in the future. I'm sure Mathew just needed to get these types of songs out of his system.
Now this post I can get on board with.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal_descent View Post
Nat, I've never wanted to high-five you so bad
Easy, Borat. And get away from me with that over-the-shoulder man thong right fucking now. That's fucked up.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

New The Acacia Strain album is pretty good.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Easy, Borat. And get away from me with that over-the-shoulder man thong right fucking now. That's fucked up.
-_-' He's from Kazakhstan.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 09-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by street_burial View Post
This right here is the only track you need to hear for you to love it.

This damn song is easily my new favorite AILD track. THOSE. FUCKING. CLEANS.
I'm with you man. This cd is bad ass. Top 10 for sure...
Old 09-26-2012, 12:53 PM
That Guy

Quote:

EDIT: Also, are you saying that "Black Holes" was a disappointment?!?

In order:

I didn't say it was all dubstep and Electronica, but its heavily in there. the only song, Save Me had anything redeeming about the album and even that didn't.....save the album.

And yes Black Holes and Revelations couldn't have been more of a disappointment in my eyes. As an old fan of Muse I liked when the electronics was in the background, not the forefront. ever since BH&R, that's what it's been.

I'm 24, I can't be that much younger then you. I've been a fan since I discovered Muse on the Little Nicky soundtrack. I'm not into this style of music, it's not growing to grow on me. Muse tried that twice with Black Holes and Revelations and The Resistance, it didn't work then, and this album is more of what I don't like from the band. More so than ever.

Albums don't have to be perfect off the bat. My favorite albums had to grow on me. But it also has to be something I can get into. For me, that's not Muse anymore.