Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

  #321  
Old 09-25-2012, 01:00 AM
kalfitegrdan's Avatar
kalfitegrdan kalfitegrdan is offline
THIS IS LHHC!
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: DeKalb, IL
Posts: 3,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
Eh I thought it was alright. I mean I don't tend to judge mindless action movies on their stories, but the story in Ninja Assassin was fucking awful beyond the point of overlooking. The action was good, but there was too little of it to overpower the horrible story.
Every single bit of this. That story was horrendous.
__________________
12/26 Macabre ?
12/27 Zero Boys ?
1/5 Genocide Pact ?
1/9 Skull Fist
1/10 Cruel Hand
1/16 Mayhem
1/23 Sea of Shit
Reply With Quote
  #322  
Old 09-25-2012, 07:02 AM
Natrlhi's Avatar
Natrlhi Natrlhi is offline
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 7,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
Eh I thought it was alright. I mean I don't tend to judge mindless action movies on their stories, but the story in Ninja Assassin was fucking awful beyond the point of overlooking. The action was good, but there was too little of it to overpower the horrible story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
Every single bit of this. That story was horrendous.
Wait, what? It occurs to me that judging an action movie - in particular, a martial arts film - by its lack of plot or character development is somewhat like judging a porno by its lack of plot or character development. Just sayin'.

In other words, I think maybe some folks are missing the point. The classic kung fu movies of the 1970's had horrendous plots, no character development, and the dialog was barely understandable (plus, even when you could understand it, it didn't even make sense half the time), and they were still awesome. Why? Because the fighting, although highly choreographed, was impressive as hell while still being fairly realistic because the actors were actually doing it - they weren't suspended from wires.

At any rate, on topic: I saw "God Bless America" last night. I thought it was...interesting. Best movie ever? Fuck no. Best movie of the year? Hardly. Most novel concept for a movie ever? Not really. This type of "what would happen if we started purging all the assholes of the world?" thing has been done before in slightly different ways. The point here is, it was done by a middle-aged sad sack who thought he had nothing left to lose and a troubled teen girl who was smart way beyond her years. The social commentary was pretty interesting, anyway. Many of the things they made fun of in this movie are things that get under my skin as well, so I felt I could relate. Not bad for an innocent little socio-political comic satire disguised as a mindless carnage fest.
__________________
8/1 SummersLaughter
8/10 Boris / Atlas Moth / SubRosa
9/8 Man or Astro-Man?
Reply With Quote
  #323  
Old 09-25-2012, 07:04 AM
mastodon421's Avatar
mastodon421 mastodon421 is offline
Not popular in Buffalo
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Swampscott,Massachusetts
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Wait, what? It occurs to me that judging an action movie - in particular, a martial arts film - by its lack of plot or character development is somewhat like judging a porno by its lack of plot or character development. Just sayin'.

In other words, I think maybe some folks are missing the point. The classic kung fu movies of the 1970's had horrendous plots, no character development, and the dialog was barely understandable (plus, even when you could understand it, it didn't even make fucking sense half the time), and they were still awesome. Why? Because the fighting, although highly choreographed, was impressive as hell while still being fairly realistic because the actors were actually doing it - they weren't suspended from wires.

At any rate, on topic: I saw "God Bless America" last night. I thought it was...interesting. Best movie ever? Fuck no. Best movie of the year? Hardly. Most novel concept for a movie ever? Not really. This type of "what would happen if we started killing all the assholes of the world?" thing has been done before in slightly different ways. The point here is, it was done by a middle-aged sad sack who thought he had nothing left to lose and a troubled teen girl who was smart way beyond her years. The social commentary was pretty interesting, anyway. Many of the things they made fun of in this movie are things that get under my skin as well, so I felt I could relate. Not bad for an innocent little socio-political comic satire disguised as a mindless violence-fest.
Normally I agree 110%. I take every movie for what it is and never try to over-analyze anything (especially action movies). Ninja Assassin is one of the rare exceptions to the rule. There are movies like The Protector, which has a horrible plot, but the action is frequent and awesome, so the poor story doesn't matter at all. On the other hand, Ninja Assassin's plot took up way more time than it should of and a vast majority of the action (which is pretty good, but not great mind you) takes place in the first scene and at the very end.
__________________
12/11 ETID/TGI
12/21 TRC/DI
12/27 Four Year Strong
1/25 August Burns Red
1/31 Machine Head

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #324  
Old 09-25-2012, 08:04 AM
dcmetal108's Avatar
dcmetal108 dcmetal108 is offline
Some People Call Me The White Devil
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,785
If we are on the talk of amazing martial arts action movies with little to no plot then The Raid Redemption wins. Easily within my top 10 movies this year.
__________________
www.apocalypticdemise.com
Reply With Quote
  #325  
Old 09-25-2012, 09:02 PM
hellawaits77ny's Avatar
hellawaits77ny hellawaits77ny is offline
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 3,763
Blog Entries: 25
V/H/S was pretty creepy. Thought it would be a little more "fucked up", though.
__________________
youtube.com/user/hellawaits77NY

12/07: Slipknot/Korn (?)
12/13: Despised Icon (?)
Reply With Quote
  #326  
Old 09-25-2012, 11:18 PM
kalfitegrdan's Avatar
kalfitegrdan kalfitegrdan is offline
THIS IS LHHC!
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: DeKalb, IL
Posts: 3,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
Normally I agree 110%. I take every movie for what it is and never try to over-analyze anything (especially action movies). Ninja Assassin is one of the rare exceptions to the rule. There are movies like The Protector, which has a horrible plot, but the action is frequent and awesome, so the poor story doesn't matter at all. On the other hand, Ninja Assassin's plot took up way more time than it should of and a vast majority of the action (which is pretty good, but not great mind you) takes place in the first scene and at the very end.
Yeah, again, what he said.
__________________
12/26 Macabre ?
12/27 Zero Boys ?
1/5 Genocide Pact ?
1/9 Skull Fist
1/10 Cruel Hand
1/16 Mayhem
1/23 Sea of Shit
Reply With Quote
  #327  
Old 09-25-2012, 11:48 PM
BloodoftheKings's Avatar
BloodoftheKings BloodoftheKings is online now
Rats off to ya
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Strong Island
Posts: 5,961
I saw Dredd 3D tonight. It was just straight up fun. It's 90 minutes of pure, violent action with little to no story or character development. It's also one of the few movies these days that actually puts the 3D to good use. It doesn't have much re-watch value but I would still recommend it.
__________________
12/6-Devin Townsend
Reply With Quote
  #328  
Old 09-26-2012, 05:44 AM
Dextrimental's Avatar
Dextrimental Dextrimental is offline
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
I saw Dredd 3D tonight. It was just straight up fun. It's 90 minutes of pure, violent action with little to no story or character development. It's also one of the few movies these days that actually puts the 3D to good use. It doesn't have much re-watch value but I would still recommend it.
Seeing it tonight. Judge Dredd was my comic book hero as a kid so hopefully this is at least in some way the movie I've been waiting for!
__________________
Yesterday don't mean SHIT.
Reply With Quote
  #329  
Old 09-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Natrlhi's Avatar
Natrlhi Natrlhi is offline
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 7,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmetal108 View Post
If we are on the talk of amazing martial arts action movies with little to no plot then The Raid Redemption wins. Easily within my top 10 movies this year.
I've heard that was pretty tits.

In other news, I watched "The Hunger Games" last night. I was...pretty underwhelmed if I'm to be honest. I thought it was fairly predictable and somewhat boring. It wasn't awful, but I just wasn't impressed. I got the distinct impression that the books might be better than the film, but since I haven't read the books I would have no idea about that.
__________________
8/1 SummersLaughter
8/10 Boris / Atlas Moth / SubRosa
9/8 Man or Astro-Man?
Reply With Quote
  #330  
Old 09-28-2012, 12:48 PM
mastodon421's Avatar
mastodon421 mastodon421 is offline
Not popular in Buffalo
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Swampscott,Massachusetts
Posts: 6,867
The Raid: Redemption was fucking fantastic. One of the best pure action movies in recent memory imo. If you even have a slight interest in action/kung-fu movies, See it ASAP.
__________________
12/11 ETID/TGI
12/21 TRC/DI
12/27 Four Year Strong
1/25 August Burns Red
1/31 Machine Head

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:33 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008