Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014
Helmet -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 11th, 2014

Old 09-24-2012, 08:13 AM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Behemoth -- Moscow, Russia -- September 23rd, 2012

My second time seeing Behemoth, last night's show was one of the most intense I had been to all year. Though the sound at the venue was not a huge improvement over Graspop's marquee, it was good enough to not ruin the show for me this time around. The house was packed, unsurprisingly; the queue was a block-and-a-half long an hour-and-a-half before doors. Several members of the audience were already piss-drunk then, harassing people in cars as they waited to drive into the parking lot adjacent to the venue, yelling slander at them such as "bourgeoisie", which was funny since most of them turned out to be VIP-ticket holders, which cost approximately ten times more than general admission tickets.

Russian openers Sinful were very boring, as expected. Last.fm had them labelled as symphonic black metal, which lowered my expectations beforehand. Though it wasn't very accurate (at least in a live environment) they still sucked, with some riffs almost note-for-note copies of Autopsy, Death, and Dark Funeral songs. A wasted thrasher up front with me spent most of their set flipping them off; sure it was rude, but they lobbied to get onto the bill a few days before the show. Taking into consideration that Behemoth's set turned out to only be thirteen songs, we had all the right in the world to chastise them for taking up precious time that evening. I'm not familiar with what they played aside from a Dimmu Borgir cover, but since I don't listen to DB, I can't say what it was called.

Japanese special guests Survive were up next. They were out of place, being a thrash band, but they kicked ass and received a great reception. Aside from the clean vocal bridges, 'twas a very good forty-five minutes of metal. Great hair, too. I almost caught their setlist after their set, but only managed to rip off the bottom (by accident). It had 8-10 songs listed, with #8 named "Fuck". It's probably not the whole title, but it's all I've got for y'all.

After a lengthy wait, Behemoth came onstage. Since a full tour of Russia was cancelled in 2010 due to Nergal's being diagnosed with leukemia, Russian Behemoth fans have been waiting to see the band. Their second time in Moscow and in Russia overall, the band began Ov Fire and the Void to a deafening scream from the audience. As mentioned before, Nergal's vocals were much more audible this time when compared to their Graspop performance, but at times one could only barely make out what he was singing. I was glad that the setlist differed from the summer festival tour setlist, which was in nature a greatest hits setlist. Despite the relatively short length of the setlist, the show seemed to be very long, and I found myself so overwhelmed by the chaos around me (even up front) by the end of the show that I was hoping it'd end sooner. 'Christians to the Lions', 'The Seed ov I', 'At the Left Hand ov God', and 'Lucifer' were the highlights of the show, especially. Below is the setlist, found on setlist.fm. Highlighted in green are songs not played in June at Graspop.

Ov Fire and the Void
Demigod
Moonspell Rites
Conquer All
Christians to the Lions
The Seed ov I
Alas, Lord Is Upon Me
Decade of Therion
------------------------
At the Left Hand ov God
Slaves Shall Serve
Chant for Eschaton 2000
23 (The Youth Manifesto)
Lucifer
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 09-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Your friends from Langley are back again...

Nice.. I know there were a lot of complaints about their set for the "Phoenix Rising" tour and other than Christians to the Lions this one isn't much different but they have such a great energy live and these are all really good songs ... Behemoth is always worth seeing.. I was skeptical of Lucifer as a closer but when I saw them do it on the US tour it was actually pretty awesome
Old 09-24-2012, 12:55 PM
N00B

Good looking set, not much different than their NA tour but that is to be expected. It would be nice if their set would have been about 4-5 songs longer but in the end it's tough to beat Behemoth live regardless of set time.
04/24 - Nile
Old 09-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Altars of Radness

You left out the part about the blood!
Old 09-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
You left out the part about the blood!
...oh, right.
3/15 Gogol Bordello

Tags