Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 09-19-2012, 09:22 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Devin Townsend -- Toronto, Ontario -- September 19th, 2012

Devin Townsend Project & Katatonia
Support: Paradise Lost and Stolen Babies
Date: Wednesday September 19th, 2012
Venue: the Opera House in Toronto, Ontario

I showed up late to the show because I really had no interest in Stolen Babies. Unfortunately my timing was off and I caught most of their set. I’m sorry to any of their fans reading this but they fucking sucked. Maybe I would have liked them fifteen years ago when I listened to a lot of Primus but the Adam of today had no interest in them. I’m also not a teenage girl who spends her days destroying dolls so maybe that’s why I wasn’t interested. I know they played a song called Second Sleep and another song that was about a spider.

Paradise Lost was a big reason I went to this show. I’ve been listening to them since the mid-1990’s and I haven’t heard any of their later stuff but I was really impressed when they opened for Nightwish five years ago. It’s too bad they were so low-billed on this tour because they have so much material to draw from and forty minutes isn’t enough time to even scratch the surface. It's a crime that they couldn't play One Second. Everything they did play was awesome and the crowd was really into them. The Opera House was actually packed when they took the stage. I don’t know why they don’t come here more often; maybe other markets aren’t as kind.

Paradise Lost
1. Enchantment
2. Erased
3. The Enemy
4. Tragic Idol
5. Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us
6. In This We Dwell
7. Say Just Words

Katatonia is a band that I’ve known about for years but I’ve never listened to anything by them. I remember getting into Opeth fifteen years ago and having people tell me that if I liked Opeth I’d like Katatonia too. For whatever reason I’ve never gotten into them. And after this show I don’t think I ever will. Flat-out out I did not like them one bit. They bored the hell out of me and when I looked at my watch and saw they’d only been on for half their allotted time I died a little on the inside. What they do they did good but I couldn’t stand them save for the songs Deliberation, July and Forsaker. I’m pretty sure these are the names of what they played.

Katatonia
1. Dead Letters(?)
2. Buildings
3. The Longest Year
4. Deliberation
5. My Twin
6. The Racing Heart
7. Lethean(?)
8. Teargas
9. Dead House
10. Evidence
11. July
12. Forsaker(?)
13. Leaders(?) w/Demon by Entombed

Devin Townsend was ulitimatly the reason I came to this show. I've been listening to him in whatever project he's in for close to fifteen years but never got to see him until last December. I was impressed with that show but left wanting a bit more. It's too bad that I was pretty much done after having to sit through Katatonia and my enjoyment of his set tonight suffered because of it. He and the band played good but focused too much on the more aggressive songs. Being this was a co-headlining tour they only got around an hour to play. It took longer to set up the stage than for them to play. Kingdom, Regulator and Grace were the best songs tonight. Lucky Animals is fucking terrible live and on record. So I left unsatisfied to say the least.

Devin Townsend Project
1. Supercrush!
2. Kingdom
3. Liberation
4. Regulator
5. Planet of the Apes
6. Where We Belong
7. War
8. Vampira
9. Lucky Animals
10. Juular
11. Grace
Encore:
12. Bad Devil

Yeah, I was disappointed by this show on a lot of levels. Paradise Losts short set and Katatonia killing the evening.
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
03/07 - Video Games Live

Last edited by adamclark52; 09-21-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:27 AM
Rats off to ya

Katatonia seems to be getting a very mixed reception on this tour. I'm pretty indifferent about their music on record but i'm giving them a chance live. A couple people have said they were better than Devin on this tour.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:40 AM
N00B

They switched it around so DT is closing all but one of the remaining shows, I'm guessing people were leaving after him and skipping Katatonia.

Also, this is way better than the other Katatonia setlest i had been seeing from this tour.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict View Post
They switched it around so DT is closing all but one of the remaining shows, I'm guessing people were leaving after him and skipping Katatonia.

Also, this is way better than the other Katatonia setlest i had been seeing from this tour.
I heard someone in the crowd saying that about twenty people left after Katatonia, but when there's probably five hundred there that doesn't matter. The crowd was into both bands from what I could tell, I think I'm of the minority who thought they were terrible.
03/07 - Video Games Live
Old 09-20-2012, 09:35 AM
Trainwreck Architect

I don't think it's any indication on wether the bands were good or not, Devin and Katatonia/Paradise Lost are 2 completely different styles. The Devin crowd may not be into Katatonia and vice versa. It's an odd pairing.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:45 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I heard someone in the crowd saying that about twenty people left after Katatonia, but when there's probably five hundred there that doesn't matter. The crowd was into both bands from what I could tell, I think I'm of the minority who thought they were terrible.
I more meant people were leaving after DT and skipping Katatonia. They moved DT to last (i'm assuming) so that the most people were there for the longest.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:08 AM
N00B

Shame you didn't like Katatonia dude. To each their own though. Katatonia was the reason I went and other than their first few songs being a little bass heavy in the mix I fucking loved them. Very nice to chill out and lightly headbang to, whcih was great since I was sick.

Setlist looks pretty accurate as well.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:39 AM

I forgot to mention in my original post that when Katatonia was finished Leaders they played the main riff to Demon by Entombed to close out their set. I'm not sure the connection between the two bands, aside from being from Sweden, but it was probably my favorite part of Katatonia's set.
03/07 - Video Games Live

Tags
devin townsend project, katatonia, paradise lost, stolen babies