Cannabis Corpse -- Chicago, IL -- December 17th, 2014
Kreator -- London, England -- December 18th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Westland, MI -- December 16th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Kansas City, MO -- December 16th, 2014

Old 09-18-2012, 10:54 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
That's why I pointed out why its a double edged sword. there is no real winning or losing in this position because its become a damned if you do, damned if you don't type environment.
Everything is damned to some extent now, isn't it.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:59 PM
So either make a change or shut the fuck up about it already.

Accessibility and easiness so yeah I dig it
Old 09-19-2012, 04:44 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
1. Being a casual fan is much more cost-effective
When I was a kid and I heard a song I liked, I had to buy the whole album. Yes, sometimes this would lead to a good discovery, but more often than not it was a waste of money. Nowadays you can choose your songs a la carte. You get what you want without the unwanted chaff.
2. Greater access to artists
Social media has made it much easier to keep in touch with your favorite bands. You can find out about tour dates and release dates within minutes. You're never out of the loop. Before the internet, if you didn't have any friends who were into the same bands as you, you were pretty much screwed.
3. Artists have more freedom
Want to do a digital-only album? Pay-what you want? Special pre-order bundle? Artists not only have more/easier ways of getting their music out there, but they also have more ways to offer their music to fans.
1. This is a very good point, but then you have the casual fans that ONLY want to hear the singles/popular songs and don't even give the rest of the album/discography a chance. I would much rather buy a whole album and risk having shitty songs than just limit myself.

2. This is very true, it is far easier to keep in touch with the bands you like, and easier to find out new bands as well, which is always good. At the same time however, it leads to a ton of douchebags/elitists. It isn't bad to discover new and undergroud bands at all, as I am in an unsigned band myself, but when people use that as their advantage to make them seem more TR00 and KVLT, then it is just pathetic. I don't care if you downloaded NEKRO HROTHGAR SVARTOREO's new demo that they recorded on an answering machine, I haven't heard of them, nor care for shitty quality music.

3. Can't really add much more to this as you hit the nail on the head. You don't need a record label to be known anymore with sites like YouTube and ReverbNation and the right people supporting you. It's great to just upload a few songs, have them for free to sample, then leading fans to want more, and buying an entire album.

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 09-19-2012, 08:56 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

So hearing the debate about the openers for Hatebreed between the US and UK(ish) tour got me thinking.

People often don't realize that sure the openers may be kinda random and not sound like the headliner but at the end of the day they are going to put bands on there that can draw a crowd. If H2O and Agnostic Front were opening the US tour I doubt they would pull in a huge draw like Whitechapel can, therefore shows would sell poorly and / or venues downgraded.

//// end random rant
Old 10-07-2012, 11:16 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmetal108 View Post
So hearing the debate about the openers for Hatebreed between the US and UK(ish) tour got me thinking.

People often don't realize that sure the openers may be kinda random and not sound like the headliner but at the end of the day they are going to put bands on there that can draw a crowd. If H2O and Agnostic Front were opening the US tour I doubt they would pull in a huge draw like Whitechapel can, therefore shows would sell poorly and / or venues downgraded.

//// end random rant
Well, there's also availability of the band for the tour, the agents the bands are using not getting along, the balance between the bands in terms of drawing power. Lots to consider for these sort of tours.

Band management is an interesting thing to study. Not something I want to do as a job per se, but it interesting!
Old 12-17-2012, 04:10 PM
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free

There are some great things this age has to offer,like music accessibility,quick and reliable band info,etc.,but some great things of the 70s and 80s have been lost.For one thing,I would like for more people these days to get into buying the "whole" album rather then just buying the latest single,because now you have people who say their "fans" of artists,but only know one or two songs by them.I would like for 70s-80s sounding rock and metal to make a comeback to rock radio (and maybe even top 40 radio),because It would be awesome if more of my friends like the bands I liked,but that's just my opinion.Of course I would also like to have concerts go back to being cheaper so I can go see them more often,but with today's industry I'm afraid that won't happen.One very positive thing I like is that I see lots of kids around my age(I'm 14),and younger,going to concerts I go to,unfortunately my friends aren't included though.Another really cool thing is that when I go to a concert like Def Leppard,Poison,or Motley Crue,I feel as if I'm transported back to the 80s. On a side note,I would have loved to see bands like Van Halen and Aerosmith in there glory days.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildAndTheYoung View Post
There are some great things this age has to offer,like music accessibility,quick and reliable band info,etc.,but some great things of the 70s and 80s have been lost.For one thing,I would like for more people these days to get into buying the "whole" album rather then just buying the latest single,because now you have people who say their "fans" of artists,but only know one or two songs by them.I would like for 70s-80s sounding rock and metal to make a comeback to rock radio (and maybe even top 40 radio),because It would be awesome if more of my friends like the bands I liked,but that's just my opinion.Of course I would also like to have concerts go back to being cheaper so I can go see them more often,but with today's industry I'm afraid that won't happen.One very positive thing I like is that I see lots of kids around my age(I'm 14),and younger,going to concerts I go to,unfortunately my friends aren't included though.Another really cool thing is that when I go to a concert like Def Leppard,Poison,or Motley Crue,I feel as if I'm transported back to the 80s. On a side note,I would have loved to see bands like Van Halen and Aerosmith in there glory days.

Even back in what you consider "the day" you could still buy singles though, they were called 40" vinyl's.

Also about going back to shows being cheaper unless you are going to a fest or a arena show most shows are reasonably priced. The most I've ever played for a club show was like $40 and that's in venues that hold around 5,000 people. Only arena tours, amphitheaters, and some fests are expensive. Hell even cheap seats at Mayhem Fest or a general admission ticket to Warped Tour isn't that expensive. Widen what you listen to and you will find a shit ton of shows you can go to for under $20.

Plus rock and metal that sounds like the 70's and 80's will never come back enough to be on the radio, ever.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
they were called 40" vinyl's.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:03 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
they were called 40" vinyl's.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
God damn it!

Eating, watching a movie, and typing on the computer always leads to an error!

(And now any valid points I made are invalid )

It's okay folks, I'm walking away with my tail between my legs.