Megadeth -- Milwaukee, WI -- July 19th, 2013
Family Values Tour -- Denver, CO -- November 11th, 2001
Judas Priest -- Salt Lake City, UT -- November 12th, 1990
Korn -- Denver, CO -- July 29th, 2002

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 09-17-2012, 02:51 AM
Altars of Radness

Cattle Decapitation -- Pomona, CA -- September 15th, 2012

Out of the popular metal record labels, Metal Blade is one of my least favorites, however I was very much looking forward to this show. The reason for this was Cattle Decapitation. I was excited to see them again, and this time it would be special. For the first and possibly the only time, they would be playing their critically acclaimed new album, Monolith of Inhumanity, in its entirety. Needless to say, I was not going to miss this opportunity.

In the 100+ degree heat, Chris and I waited in line at the Glass House. The RSVP list for this show was full, so we showed up before the doors opened to ensure we would get in. At one o'clock we shuffled inside and went straight to the Scion table. Unfortunately I didn't get there quickly enough and they were already out of the Magrudergrind records. After grabbing what was left we met up with Robert and Pablo. We didn't really have anything to do, since none of us cared to see the first band, Pilgrim. It was much cooler in the venue than it was outside though, so we watched them. I didn't think they were anything special, but it seemed like the crowd enjoyed them.

After they finished I went outside to get some water that I left in my truck. It was already on fire and not refreshing in the least bit, but it was better than nothing. I went back inside again, but didn't watch any of Gypsyhawk. I continued sitting in the lobby as Battlecross started their set. Travis was at the Cattle Decapitation merch table so I went over and talked to him a bit. He confirmed that the Dying Fetus tour will be coming to Southern California, so I'm already looking forward to that. I also asked him if they were going to do a headlining tour next year and he replied "I really hope not. I hate playing last." I'm sure Metal Blade will make them do one at some point though.

I bought the Cattle Decapitation split EP with Caninus and after putting it in my truck I went back inside and watched the rest of Battlecross. The few songs I saw were nothing particularly interesting. They come off as a second rate version of As I Lay Dying, except without any clean vocals. On record they're actually not bad, but live they annoy me to no end. Their vocalist tries way too hard to be the ultimate frontman, saying every possible gimmicky line in the book. Please, just shut up and play your music. The crowd was really into them though and they got some pits going.

Once they were finished it was finally time for Cattle Decapitation. I was excited for what was to come. They took a little longer to set up, but soon enough the sample to "The Carbon Stampede" began to play. They busted into the crushing intro riff and Travis spewed out the long opening gurgle. There was just the right amount of delay on the vocals, making him sound monstrous. They continued on with the songs in the order of the album, with "Dead Set On Suicide" being next, followed by "A Living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat." Something was a little bit off though. David was struggling with the fast double bass sections, sometimes fluttering all over the place. I believe the problem was that he was not using his own pedals, because every band was playing on the same drum kit. Aside from that, everything else sounded great.

The crowd reception was good, but not what I expected it to be. Unfortunately the pit was rather weak, even for the parts you would expect it to really go off. So, instead of pitting I spent most of the time headbanging and being in awe of what I was witnessing. The major highlight for me was hearing my favorite song from the album, "Do Not Resuscitate," which they did not play on the Origin tour in the spring. I really liked the way they went about playing the set. Aside from Josh having to change the tuning on his guitar the band took very little time in between songs and Travis did not say a single word to the crowd. This made it feel more cohesive, as everything flowed together instead of being broken up by useless dialogues and down time. After "Your Disposal" the interlude, "The Monolith," began to play and the band walked off stage. Then Travis returned and actually did the vocals to it, which I wasn't expecting. The rest of the members reappeared and they finished off the set with the outstanding closer, "Kingdom of Tyrants." Afterward Travis finally spoke to the crowd, saying thank you for coming out. It was an experience for sure, and I can't express how happy I was to be able to attend this show, let alone free of charge.
  1. The Carbon Stampede
  2. Dead Set On Suicide
  3. A Living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
  4. Forced Gender Reassignment
  5. Gristle Licker
  6. Projectile Ovulation
  7. Lifestalker
  8. Do Not Resuscitate
  9. Your Disposal
  10. The Monolith
  11. Kingdom of Tyrants

Originally I was planning on leaving after Cattle Decapitation, but I ended up staying for Six Feet Under, because I was going to see Xibalba play next door afterward and I had nothing better to do in between. Chris and I watched from the side, expecting the worst. After a theatrical intro they went into "Stripped, Raped and Strangled," which got the crowd going. Then came the vocals. Chris Barnes's low growls have deteriorated beyond belief since his days in Cannibal Corpse, but that wasn't even the worst part. Not long into the first song he let out some horrendous screeches, causing Chris and I to start cracking up. Surprisingly they had the biggest crowd and the best response though. I'm not sure what people see in them. Even with the vocals aside, there are much better death metal bands out there. They played for close to an hour and finished their set with "Hammer Smashed Face," thus ending another fun Scion event. I am already looking forward to attending the next one!
Old 09-17-2012, 03:44 AM
"I call it torture you call it life. A slave to money and everything I despise"

I'm always jealous of you SoCal guys for getting these Scion shows Seriously though, this sounds like it was such an awesome show, glad you had a good time! And yeah Six Feet Under is one of the most pathetic live acts I have ever seen, if I go to the SFU/Cattle Decap tour there's no way I'm sticking around, seeing them once was all I can handle!
8/17 Jungbluth
8/23 Tercer Mundo/Muerte
9/27 GBH
Old 09-17-2012, 04:03 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Fuck, I'm so jealous. I love the new record.

Everytime Cattle Decapitation is scheduled to play in Montreal, they end up cancelling...
7/30 - Counterparts/Hundredth

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 09-17-2012, 04:12 AM
Altars of Radness

Also, I should mention for anybody who isn't aware, Scion professionally films all of their shows. They had a camera at the back of the venue, one on the balcony, and two guys up front. They only post snippets of the footage in their videos, but I doubt they would have so many camera angles if they didn't intend to give everything to the bands / record label. So hopefully it gets released some day.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:06 AM
N00B

Jesus Christ I am so jealous. The new album is one of my favorites of the year.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Now I am become Death. The destroyer of worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
Chris Barnes's low growls have deteriorated beyond belief since his days in Cannibal Corpse, but that wasn't even the worst part. Not long into the first song he let out some horrendous screeches, causing Chris and I to start cracking up. Surprisingly they had the biggest crowd and the best response though. I'm not sure what people see in them. Even with the vocals aside, there are much better death metal bands out there.
I seriously couldn't sum up my own thoughts about SFU and Chris Barnes better myself. I have no fucking idea how they're actually as popular as they are, especially after hearing those hideous screeches live.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:54 PM
I'm reaching out for something else.

Cool review and perfect Cattle setlist! Dat new album
All your SFU comments are spot on. Personally I think they still have a decent following cuz it's just a bunch of Barnes elitists who'll never like the newer Corpse cuz it's Barnes-less. Sad really cuz SFU just sounds awful. Last year at Summer Slaughter while I was waiting in line to go to the restroom after Darkest Hour's set some guy was praising SFU and saying how all the bands after them didn't deserve to be higher on the bill, I told him he was wrong. Seriosly BDM wipes the floor with them. Anyways douche ended the convo by telling me I'm too young to understand and that my music taste is inferior. I just chuckled cuz he was so serious.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroRob View Post
I seriously couldn't sum up my own thoughts about SFU and Chris Barnes better myself. I have no fucking idea how they're actually as popular as they are, especially after hearing those hideous screeches live.
This, this, this. I went into Summer Slaughter last year thinking they might be alright after hearing a lot of positive feedback of their recent live shows. I don't know what those people were smoking, he sounds like a god damn zoo animal (Not any one specifically, but chances are if it's an animal at a zoo Chris Barnes can perfectly emulate the sound it makes). Six Feet Under is a fucking joke and Chris Barnes should just retire.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 09-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Kvlt,Grim,Frostbitten,and Grindage

Cattles set was so fuckin great. And I loved Battlecross and actually enjoyed SFU. The other were ok. But fuckin Cattle ..
10/31-King Diamond
Old 09-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDoomsayerX View Post
Cool review and perfect Cattle setlist! Dat new album
All your SFU comments are spot on. Personally I think they still have a decent following cuz it's just a bunch of Barnes elitists who'll never like the newer Corpse cuz it's Barnes-less. Sad really cuz SFU just sounds awful. Last year at Summer Slaughter while I was waiting in line to go to the restroom after Darkest Hour's set some guy was praising SFU and saying how all the bands after them didn't deserve to be higher on the bill, I told him he was wrong. Seriosly BDM wipes the floor with them. Anyways douche ended the convo by telling me I'm too young to understand and that my music taste is inferior. I just chuckled cuz he was so serious.
Thanks man. Sucks you and Scott couldn't come. I also get the feeling a lot of Six Feet Under fans are not well-versed in death metal and think they are supposed to like the band just because Chris Barnes is the vocalist.

Tags
cattle decapitation