Machine Head -- Toledo, OH -- July 18th, 2014
MayhemFest -- Clarkston, MI -- July 17th, 2014
Winger -- Portland, ME -- July 26th, 2014
King Diamond -- Stockholm, Sweden -- July 25th, 2014
Municipal Waste -- Echo Park, CA -- July 25th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 09-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Altars of Radness

Great review (again). I have probably said this before, possibly more than once, but I feel the need to say it again. I had no idea who Royal Thunder were when I saw them opening for Exhumed, and they are admittedly not really my style of music, but they absolutely blew me away. Mlny's voice is just so fucking incredible, and the way they play their songs live it just flows together so perfectly. Despite being a bit out of place on the bill, they made some new fans that afternoon; myself, XDoomsayerX, srm90, and I think elturtleboy as well, were all converted. It seems they've gained some popularity with their debut out, and I hope they continue to, because they really deserve it.

Anyway, I'm surprised they're still not playing Mouth of Fire. I thought that would be a set staple for a while, but perhaps they will bring it back some other time.

Last edited by treghet; 09-14-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

@NonnyMoose: DT is an interesting guess. They'd be a weird fit, maybe, but not really so different from Pallbearer than Royal Thunder was. Same with BTBAM. I'm not telling, though.

re: The EP - yes, they were selling it for $12, but I didn't catch whether that was for vinyl or CD. The CD for CVI was $15. The vinyl was $20. Don't know if that helps. Sorry for my bad memory - I am old as fuck after all.

Since you mentioned Baroness, I am reminded of somemore stuff I talked about with Josh. Apparently, RT is buds with most of the members of the Atlanta / Savannah scene, including the Mastodudes, Kylesa (whose shirt I was wearing, and Josh said he wanted one ), and of course Baizley & Co. I mentioned how scary it was what had happened to them in the UK, and he said that he believes they are all on the mend now. Everybody is home except John, he thought. He did mention that John and MLiny share e-mails regularly about lyrics & vocals and shit like that. I told him to ask one of the two to cc: me on the e-mails just so I can be a fanboy fly on the wall.

@Schmier: Never heard their demo. Should get me some o' that. Thanks for the info.

@Tregs: RT def made some converts yesterday as well - purist doomheads who would probably never have given a "happy" band such as RT the time of day otherwise, but everyone in the crowd really seemed to like them. I was glad about that. In truth, I was there more for RT than PB, but both were obviously great in their own way.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:37 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
@NonnyMoose

Quote:
@Schmier
I see what you did there...
Old 09-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Metal-Setlistcore

I am NonnyMoose
Old 09-14-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
I am NonnyMoose
We'll call you Moose for short.

EDIT: Still working on those videos. Damn slow upload speed I have here today.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Awesome review. I haven't listened to Royall Thunder's new album, but I'm definitely going to since you're singing their praises.

Quote:
I admit, I didn't recognize the cover song when they played it, but their merch guy confirmed it for me later. It was interesting, but short. Four or five minutes, max.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smearCampaign View Post
Gloomy Sunday was actually on Pallbearer's 2010 demo
Yes, correct. That's why I said if they'd played "The Legend," you would have seen their complete recorded discography to date. They have 6 songs. Plus whatever new material they've written. That demo is actually really good, and for a long time I thought Brett's vocals were much better on it than on Sorrow and Extinction. If you listen to it you'll probably see what I mean. Anyway it is:

and I possess one of the 66 copies of it.

Quote:
Pallbearer is supposed to be back late this year or early next. He didn't know the routing yet, but he told me the headliner. However, he swore me to secrecy on it. Let's just say it's a band who will be touring the new album that was either recently released or will be soon, so it wouldn't be that hard to make some educated guesses.
My guess is Darkthrone. They have an album coming out in February, and Pallbearer is the perfect opening band for them. I'm already super stoked for this.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:40 PM
Metal-Setlistcore

So in StL Pallbearer and the local are no shows so far
Old 09-15-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
So in StL Pallbearer and the local are no shows so far
Dude, that sucks.

On what I hope is a brighter note, original post updated with links to RT videos.

Pallbearer video links coming soon...
Old 09-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Metal-Setlistcore

Pallbearer did show up around 8:30, RT didn't go on until 10, ended at 11. Pallbearer went on a 11:30, my brother and I stayed until 12 and left because we were hungry.

I went there for Royal Thunder anyway, not that Pallbearer's bad or anything. I like them, but was not in the mood to stay until 12:30 because the show was run like shit. Anyway, RT had the same set.

Yes, Blue live is audible sexy times.

Last edited by anomynous; 09-15-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Blue live is audible sexy times.
So you're saying it is aural sex?

Bumped this to mention that I posted links for three Pallbearer tracks. I'll warn you now, they aren't excellent quality. You'd have to be a die-hard Pallbearer fan to want to listen to them, methinks, but I posted them just in case.

I also have a video for Given to the Grave, but it hasn't finished uploading yet. There may be a problem with it. I left it running this afternoon before leaving for the airport, but I am in Providence, RI right now so I can't do much about it from here.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 09-17-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Tags
pallbearer, royal thunder