Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Judas Priest -- Kansas City, MO -- October 20th, 2014
Raven -- West Hollywood, CA -- October 20th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Champaign, IL -- October 19th, 2014
Asia -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 17th, 2014
Sammy Hagar -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 18th, 2014

Old 09-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

27. Justice - Audio, Video, Disco

Technically, this album is pretty far from being metal as well, but thanks to the guitars that feature heavily in this band's songs, they've managed to capture the attention of quite a few metalheads. At their core, though, this French duo is an electronic group, and on this album in particular, their sound is almost as much disco as it is metal. At the same time, though, it's hard for any music lover to deny the infectious appeal of tracks such as "Horsepower", "Canon" and the mega grand-slam "Civilization". It's like Queen filtered through Paul Oakenfold's mixing board or something. I don't know quite how to describe it, but this album is just so damned cool I could (and often have) play it on loop for hours.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:56 PM

26. Primus - Green Naugahyde

With all due deference to He Who Never Posts Here Anymore...your indifference to / disdain for this band is just something that we'll have to agree to disagree on. For me, Primus is a band that's just about impossible to categorize, and so it came as no surprise to me to hear that they are the only band to have their own genre on iTunes (which is quite simply listed as "Primus"). One of the saddest days in music for me was when I heard that this band were calling it quits, and the news was even tougher to take because in all the time I had been a fan, I had never seen them live. Fast forward to today, and I've now seen them twice since they reunited, and then they released this album. Let's just say that if you think they were going to pick up where the severely anti-climatic "Antipop" left off, think again. This album is a triumphant return to form for this unique and awesome band. Tracks like "Hennepin Crawler", "Tragedy's a' Comin' " and "Last Salmon Man" prove that these guys haven't lost their edge one bit. The phenomenally creepy "Jilly's on Smack" might just be one of the best songs they've ever written. Primus is back, bitches!
Old 09-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
With all due deference to He Who Never Posts Here Anymore...your indifference to / disdain for this band is just something that we'll have to agree to disagree on. For me, Primus is a band that's just about impossible to categorize, and so it came as no surprise to me to hear that they are the only band to have their own genre on iTunes (which is quite simply listed as "Primus"). One of the saddest days in music for me was when I heard that this band were calling it quits, and the news was even tougher to take because in all the time I had been a fan, I had never seen them live. Fast forward to today, and I've now seen them twice since they reunited, and then they released this album. Let's just say that if you think they were going to pick up where the severely anti-climatic "Antipop" left off, think again. This album is a triumphant return to form for this unique and awesome band. Tracks like "Hennepin Crawler", "Tragedy's a' Comin' " and "Last Salmon Man" prove that these guys haven't lost their edge one bit. The phenomenally creepy "Jilly's on Smack" might just be one of the best songs they've ever written. Primus is back, bitches!
We can just refer to him as this from now on. And capitalize the first letter of each word out of respect.

I guess this list just wouldn't be right without some curve balls, as He Who Never Posts Here Anymore put it (I think?) an EOY list or two ago. Battle? Justice? Yeah... never heard of these bands.

At least I have stuff to look up now that I know I looked over last year.

When I wake up at 12:00pm tomorrow this list better be finished.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
IT'S HAPPENING
shut the fuck up or you will jinx it you fucker

But seriously...Top 25 time, bitches.

So, would now be a bad time to mention that my top 25 has actually been posted on the internet since around the first of the year? True story. For those of you who know where it is, thanks for not ruining the incredibly anti-climactic surprise.

Anyhoo, thanks for hanging in there. Moving on:

25. Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will

Interesting title aside, this album is just another day at the office for one of the founding bands in post-rock...which is to say that the album is simply fucking incredible. The bittersweet part of this, perhaps, is that Mogwai has been so good at what they do, and for so long, that folks have just come to expect an album like this from this band, and so no one is surprised anymore. At any rate, here's the non-shocker of the day: Mogwai has knocked the fucking ball out of the park again. Ho hum, I guess. Go on about your business, I suppose. Nothing to see here - just another incredible album from Mogwai. Move along.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:20 PM

24. Vektor - Outer Isolation

This one might get some panties in a twist. I know, I know - these guys are as often accused of being over-rated as they are of being deified by their rabid fan base (several of whom are regulars on this forum, as we all know). The truth of the matter as far as I'm concerned is that, while Vektor may or may not be the greatest thing since sliced bread, and may or may not be the best nu-thrash band out there today, they are still damned talented, damned interesting, and they sound a shitload like Voivod to me, which is something that no other band that has ever existed can claim (and it's a truly high compliment in my book). So, love them or hate them, here they sit at number 24 on my list. I'm sure no one will be happy about this, because the haters will say that they should be much lower and the fanboys will say that they should be at the very top, but I'd like to think I'm just enough of a centrist to have parked them just about right where I think they belong - a very respectable spot for a very respectable album.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:32 PM

23. Batillus -Furnace

The short explanation on this one is that, the first time I heard it, I hated it. Then, I found out that Batillus were playing a show I was going to see, so I listened to this album again. I found some stuff I liked. Then I listened more, and found more stuff I liked. Then, I saw them live. Holy shit. It was like getting run over by a tank. A tank being driven by Moby Fucking Dick. Repeatedly. Now I love this album. The payoff may take a while to get to sometimes, but when you do - for example, the driving part in the middle of "...And the World Is As Night to Them" - holy fucking shit is it worth it. Sweet Satan, that section of that song is awesome. So it goes that I'm beginning to learn that, in order to appreciate truly good doom music, sometimes you have to learn to be patient. Very patient. However, as the old saying goes, truly fucking bombastically awesome things come to he who waits. Or something like that.

tl;dr: HOLY FUCKING SHIT BATMAN THIS ALBUM IS

Last edited by Natrlhi; 09-08-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:59 PM

22. Black Cobra - Invernal

I hadn't heard much of this band's material before I saw them on tour a few years ago with High on Fire, but what I saw that night got me interested. However, aside from an unhealthy addiction to the track "Chronosphere", my interest in this band was rather fleeting as I quickly passed on to other more interesting things. Then they released this album. Wow. Now this is some fantastic stuff. Riffy as all get-out, I'm telling ya. The production is better, too, and it allows the listener to hear everything that's going on in this sludgy maelstrom. Quite simply, this is Black Cobra's best work yet, and it's like a shot of steroids for a band that was probably already going places. Now they're just going to rage all the harder on their way to awesomeness, and I can't say I'm disappointed with that fact.

Also, I think this dude totally hit the nail on the head regarding this album.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:12 PM

21. Tombs - Path of Totality

Lest I get into a bunching of the panties with someone on this forum whose musical opinion I highly respect (mostly because he likes a lot of what I like ), I think I'll just let this incredibly sexy online review do most of the talking for me. Suffice to say that, the more I listen to this album, the more I realize why it got as much hype as it did last year. It's just so much better than the band's previous work, and although the production has a lot to do with it, it's so much more than that. I just think it's better written, better executed, and just an all-around better album. It's just a fantastic album, in my opinion - regardless of the hype factor.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:31 PM
Altars of Radness

Holy shit all these posts just came out of nowhere!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
Holy shit all these posts just came out of nowhere!
Yeah, like I said at the top of page 21, I was bored and unoccupied. See what I'm capable of when I actually have some time on my hands for a change?