Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014
Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014
Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014
The Goddamn Gallows -- Long Beach, CA -- April 16th, 2014

Old 09-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Fuck it. I'm going to try to finish this. I'm home alone on Saturday night, the girls are sleeping (for the moment), and I'm bored.

35. Wolves in the Throne Room - Celestial Lineage

Not much to say about this one, other than it's a highly solid black metal album by a band that others have made a much bigger deal about for a much longer time than I have. However, it was enough to make me take notice more than I have before. I've nothing against this band, I've just never appreciated them that much until listening to this album a few times.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:25 PM

34. Explosions in the Sky- Take Care, Take Care, Take Care

So yeah - I don't quite get how so many people said they were disappointed by this release. I fucking loved it, and I still do. I mean, from the addicting snare rhythm that drives the first track through the whole rest of the album, I found nothing but layer after layer of great stuff. The only thing that stops this from being another "The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place", in my mind, is that it just simply has not been around long enough to be called a "classic" EITS album. Other than that, I don't see what all the anti-fuss is about. This is yet another kickass instrumental post-rock album from one of the best bands in the business. Period.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:33 PM

33. The Atlas Moth - An Ache for the Distance

So I tried a few years ago to like this band, and their material upto that point just didn't quite cut it for me. They were good, but not great. Then I saw them live (opening for another band). They were quite good. Their stock went up a few points. Then they released this. Holy shit. I love it. Hell, the third track alone (the incredibly bombastic "Holes in the Desert") alone is worth the price of admission. This band is going places, I think. Too bad they sucked ass live when I saw them for the second time opening for Yakuza in Chicago last year. I think they were just too tired from the tour, or drunk from the homecoming with all their friends (or maybe a bit of both). Still, this album is definitely worth checking out if you like angsty post-metal with plenty of layered, screaming vocals.

EDIT: Plus, that album cover it tits. Literally.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:47 PM

32. Absu - Abzu

Apologies to the other albums - the only decent photo of the album cover I could find for this one was larger than the ones I've been using for all the other albums I've quoted thus far. But then again, it's Absu, so fuck the rest of those albums. In all seriousness, though - it's Absu. They are incapable of making a bad record, I think. If you like your black metal fast, aggressive and tight as fuck, then these guys are the ones you want (either them, or maybe Anaal Nathrakh, but I'll talk more about AN later, if you get my drift). Anyway, this album just simply rips. That's it. If you're a fan, then you already know what I'm talking about. If not, then I don't advise you check this out, because quite frankly, you can't handle it.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Oh shit, we're on a roll.

I definitely agree with your placement of Celestial Lineage. A fine album, but not BM album of the year status or anything like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Apologies to the other albums - the only decent photo of the album cover I could find for this one was larger than the ones I've been using for all the other albums I've quoted thus far.
This is what I use...

http://www.picresize.com/
Old 09-08-2012, 08:56 PM

31. Grails -Deep Politics

So I'm not sure how many people on this forum know about this incredible band, but if you don't, you should. At their core, they are basically an instrumental post-rock / post-metal outfit - but the reality of this band is that they are so much more than that. Their masterpiece is still 2007's "Burning Off Impurities", I think, but this album is right up there among their best. This is one of their trippier outings, to be sure. Some of it reminds me of 1970's psychedlic movie soundtrack music. It's just...hard to describe what Grails does in mere words. Suffice to say that if you like trippy, experimental instrumental post-rock, then you owe it to yourself to check this band out. This is one of their better albums. Their whole catalog is good, but it varies quite a bit from one album to the next, so a little exploring is advised if you're going to give them a serious chance.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
This is what I use...

http://www.picresize.com/
Thanks for the link. I'll have to check that out.

30. Cynic - Carbon-Based Anatomy

It's Cynic. Come on. Of course it's fucking awesome. The only thing that prevents this album from being higher on this list is that it's an EP, and so by nature, it's short and therefore suffers from the disadvantage that most EP's do in that they have to hit all the harder in a shorter period of time in order to climb up a list like this. This album does, though. I mean, the title track is simply unreal. So good. "Box Up My Bones" is another great track, too. Even the so-called "filler" tracks serve their purpose very nicely, which is to make this admittedly brief album an enticing glimpse of what this band is capable of producing. I'm looking forward to their next full-length with highest expectations.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:17 PM

29. sleepmakeswaves - ...and so we destroyed everything

Almost as if they were making a subtle nod to post-rock phenoms TWDY, these Aussies decided to do them one better and name the album "...and so we destroyed everything" (emphasis added by yours truly). Indeed. This album truly does just that. I have to admit that this is my first true foray into this band's work, but judging by the comments made by several folks on this forum whose opinions I trust, I knew I'd like them a great deal. I especially love how triumphant this music often is. It's like a bad mood's worst fucking enemy. Note that I ranked this album just a bit higher than this year's release from EITS, and that is neither a coincidence, nor an oversight, nor a decision that I took lightly. This album straight up deserves it. It's simply fucking fantastic.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:28 PM

28. Battles - Gloss Drop

...and now for what might be the most non-metal entry on my list this year - Battles. Holy shit, though - metal or not - this album is simply fucking phenomenal. I mean, the musicianship on this thing is simply off the charts. I've been a fan of these guys for several years now, but this is definitely their magnus opus thus far. I mean, seriously. This is just so good. For those not familiar, this band is an experimental rock three-piece from New York City who have been wowing audiences with their unique blend of rock, electronics and jazz for over a decade now. The thing about this band is, that it's one thing to be experimental, it's another thing to be talented, and it's still another thing entirely to be interesting. These guys hit the nail square on the head on all three accounts, and as I said, they've never done a better job of it than they've done here. Prepare to have your bottom jaw hit the floor.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Bring Me The Horizon > Opeth

IT'S HAPPENING
04/24 - Iron Reagan
05/13 - SLAYER