Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 09-01-2012, 11:54 PM
One who onions things

Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- September 1st, 2012

1. Scavengers Feast
2. Funambulist
3. Blood on the Cornfields
4. Unearthly Dreamings

Probably the most incredible 25 minute set I've ever seen- totally worth the $8 ticket. This was at Slim's, probably the single best venue SF has to offer.

Basically I didn't think I was gonna go to this show at all. I was at Trakworx Studio all day (ironically where Dwellings was recorded/mixed/mastered and where Metazoa was mastered) and I thought I wasn't gonna be out until 10 PM. Some time in the day I remembered that Cormorant had a show at Slim's but that I wasn't able to go for some reason. I decided to check again for the hell of it and I saw that it was tonight. Then my boss and I finished up at Trakworx at like 7:30 instead of 10 so I figured "fuck it, I'll go." I ended up being the only one outside Slim's before the doors opened. All the bands were local, and tonight Slim's was more of a bar with random heavy rock bands as background music instead of a concert venue. I introduced myself to Arthur when I saw him, and we talked about Vektor, Justin Weis (my boss at Trakworx and the guy who manned the board for so many amazing albums), and other random topics. Just for the hell of it, I explained that I also wrote for Metal Assault and asked if he would be interested in an interview if he had nothing better to do. Dude actually said yes and said he'd get everyone involved!

So their set went above and beyond my expectations. They were perfect. Like honest to god, perfect. The sound was amazing, and the performances were just flawless. Arthur would headbang when he could, and one could really hear and see what a great bassist he is. I seriously lost my shit during Funambulist during the headbangy part. You know when I'm talking about. I was probably the youngest guy among the 50 or so people there. There were maybe a dozen or so actual Cormorant fans there, everyone else was just there to hang out (and for good reason, Slim's is the coolest fucking place ever) or were friends of the bands.

After their set, Arthur found me and took me to the outside area for the interview. After everyone was gathered, I started recording and we just shot the shit for a few minutes before I even started asking questions. The interview was really, really great- everyone in the band are very talkative, intelligent and just very cool in general. Hopefully you all will like how I did the interview when I post it!

Anyway, I guess that's it for now. I've got three full days in the studio coming up, the Vektor show with an interview tomorrow, and I gotta transcribe this Cormorant interview before Tuesday when they go on tour. Time to get to work!
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31

Last edited by Onioner; 09-02-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:17 AM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

Hopefully they play Junta in Charlotte
Old 09-02-2012, 07:57 AM
Buahahahahaha

That's such a good set. Of those I've only seen Funamulist and I didn't even know it at the time because it was pre-Dwellings show. Fuuuuuuuuuuu
Old 09-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Fucking incredible. Four incredible songs, you couldn't ask for a better non-Cormorant headlining set.

Did Arthur happen to say whether or not the set would change any (say, in Charlotte for example)? Because if that's going to be their set I may just have to make some sacrifices and find a way to go.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Play it loud, don't play it low

I was considering driving to Austin to see them, but for 25 minutes it's probably not worth it.

Great set list, though.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Witchcraft View Post
I was considering driving to Austin to see them, but for 25 minutes it's probably not worth it.

Great set list, though.
It's more like a 35 minute set than a 25 minute set.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Witchcraft View Post

Great set list, though.
This wasn't supporting Primordial, just so you know. Plus, if it's a headlining show they're playing in Austin, they'll be playing for a lot more than 25 minutes.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 09-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Play it loud, don't play it low

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal_descent View Post
This wasn't supporting Primordial, just so you know. Plus, if it's a headlining show they're playing in Austin, they'll be playing for a lot more than 25 minutes.
They're opening for Yob.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:23 PM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
Fucking incredible. Four incredible songs, you couldn't ask for a better non-Cormorant headlining set.

Did Arthur happen to say whether or not the set would change any (say, in Charlotte for example)? Because if that's going to be their set I may just have to make some sacrifices and find a way to go.
We actually talked about that in the interview a bit, they said they try to change up the setlist depending on who else they're playing with, but I'd say you'd be likely to get this set at the Vektor show.
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31
Old 09-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Shark Trapper

Upcoming Cormorant Tour...

yo,
We'll have enough songs practiced to fill 2 sets, which will include songs from the 3 releases so the sets will be slightly varied from shows to show. It sounds like we'll be doing a 30-35ish min set for Primordial and YOB. If there's something you want to hear, let us know and we can try to work that in. That Vektor show will be ridiculous!....nick

Tags
cormorant