Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 08-30-2012, 01:10 AM
It's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins.

Goatwhore -- Austin, TX -- August 29th, 2012

I arrived at the Mohawk around 9:00 to see Goatwhore on an offdate from the Summer Slaughter tour with a camera in hand. My goal this time was to take pictures of the bands for a more "professional" review. Unfortunately, I had forgotten the card needed to activate it at home in my rush to leave, so that plan went down the shitter pretty quickly. Oh well.

When I entered the building, I wandered over to the merch booth where I bought a "Who Needs a God When You Have Satan" shirt, two stickers, and two patches for $21 and waited around for the locals to open the show.

Boars opened the show with a sweet display of death/doom (I compared them to Acid Bath meeting Sleep), taking only the attention of the audience and leaving some heads nodding. Not too much in the way of notability happened during their set compared to later bands, so...yeah. I definitely thought they were the better local band of the night.

Curse the Heavens - a local hardcore punk/metal band - went on next. The band played fast, hard, and loud, bringing to mind images of bands like the Cro-Mags and DRI and got the audience pretty pumped for what was to come. My favorite quote of the night came from these guys when they asked the sound guy to "turn up the everything", completely straight-faced.

Pushmen ended the local acts with an odd display of music, straying into sludge metal and...fuck. I don't even remember. That video they displayed (of rockets launching, B-movie scenes, and a diagram of women's reproductive systems, among other things) really did well to distract a good chunk of the crowd. The most notable thing I thought of when I saw this band was how much the singer sounded like Brian Johnson trying to be Seth Putnam.

Finally, Goatwhore started to set up their shit. Sammy got into a rant where he tried to get the audience to chastise a crew member for "losing his fucking marijuana", and around 12:32 without any further warning, Goatwhore launched into their set. The music slammed into the crowd like a sledgehammer, causing everyone there to lose their shit. They went rather quickly through the set, taking very few breaks in between songs - the longest they went without playing was about three minutes asking the audience to wish drummer Zack Simmons a happy birthday (cake was produced) and to get him "laid or high" by the end of the night. Louis also asked the audience to "at least buy a fucking shirt, don't be cheap!" if they decided to download their music. Fucking gold.

Around 1:50, the band ended the show with Apocalyptic Havoc (I think Sammy played a bit of Sleep before the song started) and the audience stuck around for a bit longer, trying to meet some of the band members. Sammy and Zack scattered like roaches when the show ended - which irked me, as I wanted to talk a bit to Sammy about guitar - however James and Louis stuck around, taking pictures with fans and chatting it up with whoever asked them shit.

I left the club after grabbing a setlist from the stage with the knowledge that the band would return soon with High on Fire.

Goatwhore

Parasitic Scriptures of the Sacred Word
Collapse in Eternal Worth
Baptized in a Storm of Swords
Bloodletting Upon the Cloven Hoof
In Deathless Tradition
Carving out the Eyes of God
Alchemy of the Black Sun Cult
In Legions, I Am Wars of Wrath
Judgement of the Bleeding Crown
To Mourn and Forever Wander
An End to Nothing
Graveyards and Dead Angels
Death to the Architects of Heaven
Apocalyptic Havoc
10/28 - Mike Watt
10/29 - Melvins
11/7 - 7 Seconds

Last edited by RampinUp46; 08-30-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:24 AM
Born Again In Blasphemy

I was bummed they didn't play Carving Out the Eyes of God like they did the last 3 times I saw them when I saw them at the last Summer Slaughter show.

But since it was a short set, I understand. Good to see that it's a staple whenever they have a long set.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:42 AM
...the dead are among us!

Damn. Sounds like a great show. Too bad I'm still in Michigan.
2/8 - Aesop Rock ?
Old 08-30-2012, 05:14 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

I hope that tour with High on Fire has some canadian dates!

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 08-30-2012, 08:52 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidFlame View Post
I hope that tour with High on Fire has some canadian dates!
Yeah me too, it's been too long since ive seen HOF and Goatwhore for that matter.

Tags
goatwhore