King Buzzo -- Dover, NH -- July 9, 2014
Slash -- Hampton Beach, NH -- July 9th, 2014
Sebastian Bach -- London, England -- July 9th, 2014
Extreme -- London, England -- July 8th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 08-27-2012, 03:40 AM
Altars of Radness

Summer Slaughter -- Anaheim, CA -- August 25th, 2012

Originally I wasn't planning on going to this show, due to a lack of money and so many other great shows coming up, but a friend of mine was kind enough to buy a ticket for me, so off I went! Last year I opted out of the tour due to the extremely weak lineup, but this year they turned it around with a much better choice of bands. Although I can't say the lineup was great, it was more than enough for me to have a good time.

I was going to get to the show not long after the show started at 1pm, but thankfully Robert sent me the set times, which saved me from a few hours of watching bands I had no interest in. I met up with my friends and we went inside just as Exhumed was setting up on the main stage. Robert and I headed down to the pit and waited for them to start their set. They were supposed to start their twenty-five minute set at 5:10, but the lights went out at 5:02. I hoped they might be able to play an extra song, but with so many other bands playing after them it was just wishful thinking on my part.

They started with the crushing intro, "All Guts, No Glory" and went into "As Hammer to Anvil". It was apparent that a lot of people were unfamiliar with them, but there was a fair amount of headbanging going on. As they continued the crowd got more into it though, and there was actually a pretty good pit. Matt's screams sounded incredible, and as usual, the rest of the band followed suit. Bob's vocals could have been a bit higher in the mix though. I noticed that there was a different face on stage this time around. Bud Burke, who played on Slaughtercult and Anatomy Is Destiny, has returned, replacing Wes Caley on guitar. Although I thought Wes held down his position quite well, it's great to see a former member back in the band.

Knowing that the band only had such a limited time to play I went all out for their set, alternating between pitting and crazed headbanging. After they finished "Distorted and Twisted to Form" Matt exchanged a few words with Bud and then to my amazement, returned to the mic to say "We managed to start a little bit early, so we're going to do an extra one for you guys." The crowd cheered and of course, I was ecstatic. If there was any band I would have wanted to play an extra song, it was Exhumed. After Matt gave a short speech they ripped into "Decrepit Crescendo" and then they ended with their classic, "The Matter of Splatter", which brought about the best pit of the set. As usual, at the end of the set they brought out the decapitated head and dumped blood on the crowd. Although they didn't get to play a lengthy setlist, they were easily my favorite band of the day. I can't wait to see them again with Napalm Death and Repulsion!
  1. All Guts, No Glory
  2. As Hammer to Anvil
  3. In the Name of Gore
  4. Limb From Limb
  5. Distorted and Twisted to Form
  6. Decrepit Crescendo
  7. The Matter of Splatter

After Exhumed was finished Robert and I went to the second tier to watch Goatwhore. Although I can't call myself a fan of them, they are a force to be reckoned with live. Their set was like a massive riff assault. As with Exhumed, the crowd seemed a bit dead at first, but they picked it up as the set went on. I even noticed an older guy with a skullet, probably around 50 years old, down in the pit. It's always cool to see the older metalheads supporting newer bands. I'm not familiar with their song titles, but as far as I know, they played the same set that they've been playing for the rest of the tour.
  1. Alchemy of the Black Sun Cult
  2. Collapse in Eternal Worth
  3. Judgement of the Bleeding Crown
  4. In Deathless Tradition
  5. When Steel and Bone Meet
  6. An End to Nothing
  7. Apocalyptic Havoc

After Goatwhore was Job for a Cowboy, and none of us were interested in seeing them. I witnessed them live a couple years ago and their vocalist is just awful live. Although I enjoyed Goatwhore's riff assault, I don't think my ears would like to be assaulted with those terrible screams. We sat outside on the grass, being tempted by the mouthwatering smell of overpriced tacos. After a while Robert and I went back inside to try to get a spot for The Faceless. Unfortunately this meant sitting through Veil of Maya's set, which was awful. I've seen them multiple times in the past and each time they just get worse. The monotonous chugging and plastic guitar tone were hard to bear, but we stayed in hopes of catching somebody leaving the rail. Unfortunately our persistence did not pay off, and we settled on a spot off to the side on the lowest level.

After a bit of waiting, The Faceless came out to loud cheers. It was clear that a lot of the crowd had come with the intent of seeing them. They started off with one of my personal favorites, "Coldly Calculated Design". Immediately I was thrown off by the reaction of the crowd. All of the times I've seen The Faceless in the past it was like any other metal show; there would be lots of pitting and headbanging. Not this time. The pit was miniscule, and few people were doing more than a slight head nod. It seemed that people were more interested in watching Michael Keene's technical prowess than letting loose. I would have enjoyed it more if the crowd showed some more enthusiasm.

Despite my qualms with the crowd's participation, it was still nice to see them again, as this was my first time seeing the band with their new lineup, consisting of Evan Brewer on bass, Wes Hauch on guitar, and their new vocalist, Geoffrey Ficco. I was very pleased that Evan's bass was high in the mix. Watching him play so effortlessly had me in awe. As usual, Michael Keene did not make even the slightest mistake, pulling off the solos and intricate riffs with ease. I was also happy with Geoff's performance. He sounds much better then Derek and his stage presence helps make up for the rest of the members' generally motionless postures. Fortunately for us, their set did not get cut like on some of the other dates on the tour. However, I was surprised they only chose to play two songs from their new album, Autotheism. They should have at least thrown in the minute and a half beast, "Hymn of Sanity". With that said, I was glad they didn't ignore Akeldama. Overall it was a solid set, but thirty minutes is definitely not long enough for a band of their stature.
  1. Coldly Calculated Design
  2. Legion of the Serpent
  3. Autotheist Movement III: Deconsecrate
  4. Xenochrist
  5. The Eidolon Reality
  6. An Autopsy

Once again we retreated to the outside world and chatted for a while. I didn't care to see Between the Buried and Me, so I hung out until Cannibal Corpse was about to go on. To be honest, I've never really gotten into them, nevertheless I was still looking forward to seeing them, especially after reading multiple accounts about how amazing they are live. Needless to say, they did not disappoint. They opened the set with three songs from their newest album, Torture. "Scourge of Iron" was especially heavy, inducing ravenous headbanging across the audience. As expected, their sound was as crushing as an industrial compactor. I was astounded by how great Corpsegrinder's voice sounded, despite all the years of improper screaming. My only complaint is that he doesn't enunciate the lyrics very well, so it tends to all run together.

After a trip back to Vile and some more recent material, the band took a momentary breather. Then Corpsegrinder responded to a guy in the audience, "To whoever is screaming over there, if you want Chris Barnes, you're at the wrong show, dumbass." He continued, "Ironically now, we're going to play some old stuff. The stuff Chris used to sing, junior, but not anymore." They burst into "Covered With Sores" and then continued with "Born in a Casket". Afterward Corpsegrinder asked that for the next song, everybody bang their heads, and then added "Try to keep up with me. You will fail, but you can still try." Then they played the immensely heavy fan favorite, "I Cum Blood". It may have been the heaviest thing I've witnessed live.

The rest of the set was just icing on the cake to me. They churned out more and more pummeling songs. It was not long before Corpsegrinder announced that they only had one song left, causing dismay among the crowd. He responded to the booing with yet another great quote: "Since you're so upset for that, since you booed and since you're not happy it's the last song... It's still the last song." Then they went into "Hammer Smashed Face", which spawned the most violent pit of the night. Once it was finished he told the crowd, "Remember when I said that was the last song? I lied," and to finish off the tour they played "Stripped, Raped and Strangled". After this set I may have very well been converted into a fan. This show was a perfect end to the summer. I had a great time hanging out with friends and watching some awesome bands. Hopefully next year's Summer Slaughter has an equally good or better lineup!
  1. Demented Aggression
  2. Sarcophagic Frenzy
  3. Scourge of Iron
  4. Disfigured
  5. Evisceration Plague
  6. The Time to Kill is Now
  7. Covered With Sores
  8. Born in a Casket
  9. I Cum Blood
  10. Encased in Concrete
  11. Priests of Sodom
  12. Unleashing the Bloodthirsty
  13. Make Them Suffer
  14. Hammer Smashed Face
  15. Stripped, Raped and Strangled

Here are some good videos from the show that I found on YouTube.

Part of Exhumed's set: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L57I11XiAaI
Cannibal Corpse part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URWhbP8E7I0
Cannibal Corpse part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y9F4UlcV30
Cannibal Corpse part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WTLj7VweQU
Cannibal Corpse part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YACL43cPZ84
Cannibal Corpse part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUrmIkdIJos
Old 08-27-2012, 03:50 AM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Great review.

And yeah, Corpsegrinder tends to enunciate poorly live. It's my only complaint about seeing Cannibal Corpse live. He pulled that "I lied" thing when I saw them in June, too.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 08-27-2012, 03:58 AM
It's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal_descent View Post
Great review.

And yeah, Corpsegrinder tends to enunciate poorly live. It's my only complaint about seeing Cannibal Corpse live. He pulled that "I lied" thing when I saw them in June, too.
He pulled that shit off every time (Mayhem Fest '09, headlining at Emo's in 2010, Fun Fun Fun 2011, and at my Summer Slaughter date) I saw Cannibal Corpse. It's pretty cool and all the first time you see it, but by the second or third time you want to tell him to stop it...then you remember it's a bad idea to piss off someone with a neck that fucking thick.
7/1 - Cannibal Corpse
7/15 - Motley Crue?
7/26 - Summer Slaughter

Last edited by RampinUp46; 08-27-2012 at 04:03 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:08 AM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

Decrepit Crescendo?! Lucky fucks
Old 08-27-2012, 04:11 AM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnataFan4Life View Post
Decrepit Crescendo?! Lucky fucks
Eat your heart out.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 08-27-2012, 06:53 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal_descent View Post
Great review.

He pulled that "I lied" thing when I saw them in June, too.
He always does that live. At least since 2009.

Very cool review man. Glad you enjoyed Cannibal Corpse. You're right, I Cum Blood is among the heaviest live songs ever, and Hammer Smashed Face always induces some of the most intense pits I've ever seen.

07/21-Devourment (?)
07/28-Cannibal Corpse (?)
08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
Old 08-27-2012, 09:25 AM
I'm reaching out for something else.

Nice review! That thing you said about The Faceless reaction though, every time I've seen them the crowd has done the same thing just witnessed the band perform and headbanged with no pits. The most surprising crowd response was BTBAM, holy shit the crowd went ape shit for them. You can tell their was a split crowd too, BTBAM had a bigger audience than Corpse.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDoomsayerX View Post
Nice review! That thing you said about The Faceless reaction though, every time I've seen them the crowd has done the same thing just witnessed the band perform and headbanged with no pits. The most surprising crowd response was BTBAM, holy shit the crowd went ape shit for them. You can tell their was a split crowd too, BTBAM had a bigger audience than Corpse.
Thanks man (and to Lincoln and hellawaits as well).

I mean, I know The Faceless has never been a band that generated large pits, but there was almost zero movement where I standing, aside from a bit of headbanging. I didn't get bumped into once the entire time. It just felt boring. The last time I saw them they were opening for Suffocation, so there was quite a bit of movement. I guess I should have expected different at this show, seeing as there would be much more progressive fans in attendance.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
Thanks man (and to Lincoln and hellawaits as well).

I mean, I know The Faceless has never been a band that generated large pits, but there was almost zero movement where I standing, aside from a bit of headbanging. I didn't get bumped into once the entire time. It just felt boring. The last time I saw them they were opening for Suffocation, so there was quite a bit of movement. I guess I should have expected different at this show, seeing as there would be much more progressive fans in attendance.
That really does suck there was no movement for them. People were going crazy for them here. They honestly got a better reaction than everyone else on the day besides BTBAM (yes even Cannibal Corpse).
8/9 Summer Slaughter
9/28 Coheed

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 08-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Born Again In Blasphemy

Great review. I only pitted for Exhumed and Cannibal. Goatwhore and The Faceless were good too but I didn't feel like going down there for them.

I already saw Goatwhore headline earlier this year.

I kinda wish that Cannibal Corpse headlining tour with Exhumed had come down here then I probably wouldn't have gone to this. It was still worth it though.

The Harvest Crusade was happening too at Angel Stadium across from the Grove.

Tags
cannibal corpse, exhumed, goatwhore, the faceless