Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014
Riot Fest -- Denver, CO -- September 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 08-22-2012, 12:04 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Vektor -- Kansas City, MO -- August 21st, 2012

Shows like these are the reason I live for heavy metal. There is no other place in the world that makes me happier than at a metal concert. Surrounded by tons of my friends and a lot of fanatical Kansas City metalheads, Vektor put on one of the best performances ever and have solidified their place in the annals of heavy metal history. I could honestly write like a 50-page paper of why heavy metal is the greatest thing in the world right now because of this show, but I'll try and keep it brief and just about the amazing show tonight.

The thing about Vektor is that they are definitely on the brink of exploding with popularity. When I saw them a few years back, at a free show nonetheless, there was barely anyone there for them. At this show, they had a big crowd (especially for a Tuesday night past midnight) and the numbers didn't dwindle at all throughout their set. I would say there was close to 100 people or so in this tiny bar and I don't think anyone left during their set, which was amazing. During Black Future, David broke a guitar string and left to repair it, so the rest of the band kinda jammed on stage for a good 10-15 minutes. The crowd was really understanding, and let out a cheer when they did a bit of The Number Of The Best and Scavenger Of Human Sorrow. After David got everything fixed, they ripped right back into the set. We missed a couple of Outer Isolation tracks because of the technical difficulty, but it seems to me we got a bit of an extended encore.

Black Future was, of course, a killer tune. I headbanged so much during each song that my neck broke, but none more so than for Hunger For Violence. You have to mosh to that song. It's not a suggestion, you HAVE to. And everyone should be familiar with how much I don't like to mosh. Tetrastructural Minds was insane and is still my favorite track off of Outer Isolation. I think they were originally going to end with Forests of Legend, but we wanted Accelerating Universe, so they played that! It was seriously insane. So much moshing and headbanging. They were about ready to pack up but everyone kept screaming. At this time it was like 12:50 AM so they got the okay for one more, and gave us Asteroid! Killer, killer stuff.

The sound was impeccable. I could really hear each instrument and the vocals perfectly, which was surprising because I was up right in the front. This is kinda weird I guess, but I absolutely love the thick bass sound that Vektor has, and it was mixed perfectly tonight. The bass on Cosmic Cortex makes me want to rip my face off. Erik and David hit every note perfectly, and Blake on the drums is one of the most talented drummers I've ever seen, especially with such a modest kit.

The dudes were really, really appreciative of the crowd. Huge crowd on a Tuesday night in Kansas City...who woulda thunk it? Erik came up to me afterwards and laughed at my shirt of choice for the show (my bright blue and yellow "Defend Pop Punk" New Found Glory shirt :3 ) and assured me that they'd be back in KC. YEAH!

Three amazing local bands opened the show. The first to play was Meat Shank and they play awesome death/thrash. Probably the best performance I've seen by them. They were a lot heavier than they've ever been, and there were lots of people headbanging to them. They did a killer cover of Slayer's Antichrist too. They need to play more!

Second band of the night was one of my new favorite power metal bands from the area, Alsatia. They have the riffs and solo of thrash metal, but the vocals and keyboards for Rhapsody-esque power metal. It mixed very well, and the guitarist and keyboardist do that Bodom-style solo battle type thing very well!

Direct support came from Hellevate who play like (and get the reaction of) a legendary thrash band. Seriously, the vocalist has the charisma and the pipes of Bobby Blitz, and their brand of thrash was so infectious that it kind of boggles my mind how they aren't the biggest band from the Midwest right now.

Man, I just can't get over how amazing this show was. Having a ton of my friends there, some who I haven't seen in a while, just added so much to the experience. I love heavy metal so much and I will love it more than anything else for the rest of my life.

Vektor: 10/10
Hellevate: 9/10
Alsatia: 8.5/10
Meat Shank: 8.5/10

Vektor:

Cosmic Cortex
Black Future
(long jam while David fixed his guitar)
Echoless Chamber
Tetrastructural Minds
Dark Nebula
Hunger For Violence
Deoxyribonucleic Acid
Accelerating Universe
Asteroid
09/22 - RA/TA/Radkey ?
09/23 - Crowbar
Old 08-22-2012, 06:01 AM
Face The Slayer

Can't wait for my date
Old 08-22-2012, 07:48 AM
N00B

Black Future is just the string breaker, except Erik went off stage to help him at mine too, I'm starting to get pretty bummed about my lackluster set
Old 08-22-2012, 10:31 AM
Heavy Metal Weather Man

Yeah I knew Vektor would be great, hearing it from others who have seen them.

I wasn't prepared for how awesome Hellevate was, though. Ryan, their singer, did a phenomenal job.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palabra de Dios View Post
Yeah I knew Vektor would be great, hearing it from others who have seen them.

I wasn't prepared for how awesome Hellevate was, though. Ryan, their singer, did a phenomenal job.
Definitely. Can't wait to see them open that Kreator show
09/22 - RA/TA/Radkey ?
09/23 - Crowbar
Old 08-22-2012, 12:04 PM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

Oh, did David tell you guys the funny story of what happened while they were in New York?
Old 08-22-2012, 12:19 PM
And now itís time to pull through. Something I must do with or without you.

Obviously he laughed at your shirt cuz NFG is dope as fuck. Nice review though,yet to see Vektor but seeing that they tour a ton I'm sure I will one day.
Tough Mudder-10/26
TGI/ETID-11/15
Old 08-22-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post
Oh, did David tell you guys the funny story of what happened while they were in New York?
No :O
09/22 - RA/TA/Radkey ?
09/23 - Crowbar
Old 08-23-2012, 11:14 PM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
No :O
Huh, well I guess we were told because people were yelling out asking them to tell a story.

Basically, they were in New York and David got sick from some place they ate so he was puking all day. I guess he was in a bathroom somewhere and out of nowhere, a homeless dude goes in and starts beating off, making David puke twice as hard. THAT was fucking hilarious!
Old 08-23-2012, 11:25 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post
Huh, well I guess we were told because people were yelling out asking them to tell a story.

Basically, they were in New York and David got sick from some place they ate so he was puking all day. I guess he was in a bathroom somewhere and out of nowhere, a homeless dude goes in and starts beating off, making David puke twice as hard. THAT was fucking hilarious!

Tags
vektor