King Diamond -- Denver, CO -- October 24th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 24th, 2014
Judas Priest -- Evansville, IN -- October 22nd, 2014
Pearl Jam -- Denver, CO -- October 22nd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 08-09-2012, 07:52 AM
Rats off to ya

Summer Slaughter -- New York, NY -- August 8th, 2012

When I first entered the venue I wasn't feeling well so I went to go hang out by the merch booth a bit and sit out for Cerebral's set. From what I heard through the walls they didn't sound too bad. A couple people told their set was actually pretty sick. Here's the last set that was posted for them on setlist.fm

Cerebral Bore

Maniacal Miscreation
Horrendous Acts of Iniquity
Entombed in Butchered Bodies
The Bald Cadaver
24 Year Party Dungeon

I was feeling a little better at this point so I decided to check out The Contortionist from the balcony. These guys are kind of like a more core-ish version of BTBAM. They definitely came off as more of a progressive band than a deathcore band though. They weren't too energetic on stage but they played tight and seemed to get a pretty good reaction.

The Contortionist 7/10

Casualty
Florish
Geocentric Confusion
Oscillator

At this point I had to get on the floor. Fucking Exhumed was going on. I've noticed that a lot of the Exhumed sets posted here were out of order. I really don't know why so many people are fucking this up. They introduce every song. Well anyway, Exhumed was pretty awesome but the sound seemed a little off. I couldn't really hear the bass at all so their sound was kind of thin. Still a killer set though. I'd love to see these guys again.

Exhumed 8/10

All Guts No Glory
As Hammer to Anvil
In the Name of Gore
Distorted and Twisted to Form
Limb From Limb
The Matter of Splatter

Goathwore fucking killed it as usual. that's all I have to say.

Goathwore 8.5/10

Alchemy of the Black Sun Cult
Collapse in Eternal Worth
An end to Nothing
Beyond the Spell on Discontent
In Deathless Tradition
Judgement of the Bleeding Crown
Apocalyptic Havoc

At this point, me and a couple of my friends went downstairs to hang out instead of watching JFAC. Hanging out downstairs was made very difficult by the venue staff who kept forcing people out of spots and trying to make them go upstairs to watch JFAC. Never in my life have I been to a venue that tried to force people to watch shitty bands. We managed to avoid the big move of people to the upper floor and stayed downstairs. After being moved around a couple more times we finally secured a spot that the venue staff didn't have a problem with. We stayed there for the remainder of JFAC's set through VoM's set. Because of the way the venue staff acted my friends said they never want to come to this venue ever again. I really wasn't that mad about the whole thing. Anyway here's the JFAC set for anyone who cares.

Job For a Cowboy

Entombment of a Machine
Embedded
Imperium Wolves
Unfurling a Darkened Gospel
Children of Deceit
Regurgitated Disinformation
Constitutional Masturbation

Though I was still on the bottom floor I could tell Veil was getting a good crowd reaction. They had the building shaking through their entire set. They're not my thing but I guess i'll give them props for being able to put on a good show.

Veil of Maya

20/200
Divide Paths
Unbreakable
Crawl Back
Winter Is Coming Soon
Dark Passenger
It's Not Safe to Swim Today
Punisher

At this point I went back upstairs to catch Periphery. I was never too crazy about these guys but there's some aspects of their music that I kinda dig so I figured they'd be worth checking out. I don't know if it was just me but they played really fucking loud. The crowd reaction was pretty good for these guys too. When they played Icarus Lives the whole crowd started jumping along. I had half a mind of joining in my self. Most Periphery songs I've heard are mostly clean vocals but the singer was doing his harsh vocals for most of the set. I'm guessing they picked heavier songs since it's Summer Slaughter. All in all their set was good but the sound was a little annoying.

Periphery 7.5/10

Zyglrox
Make Total Destroy
Facepalm Mute
Icarus Lives!
The Walk
Ragnarok

After hearing a few sets where the sound wasn't too great The Faceless were a breath of fresh air cause their sound was near perfect. I only started listening to these guys a couple weeks ago so i'm not overly familiar with their stuff but they definitely put on a good show. I'm pretty sure the set got cut short one song. I think they were supposed to close with An Autopsy. While that was a little disappointing ii'd much rather have their set get cut short then CC or BTBAM's.

The Faceless 8/10

Shape Shifters
Coldly Calculated Design
Deconsecrate
Xenochrist
The Eidolon Reality

They kept the crowd waiting a good while for BTBAM to come out. BTBAM had a pretty elaborate stage set up that I thought was a little unnecessary for a tour like this but it was still pretty cool. The crowd for BTBAM mostly just watched them attentively but there was a few stupid bros in flat rim hats trying to mosh to the soft parts. The whole set was great but White Walls and Sun of Nothing were absolutely amazing. Definitely want to catch these guys the next time they come around.

Between the Buried and Me 9/10

White Walls
Specular Reflection
Telos
Sun of Nothing
Fossil Genera - A Feed From Cloud Mountain

If theirs one band who never disappoints live it's Cannibal Corpse. This was my 4th time seeing them and they've been simply amazing every time. The new songs are fucking killer live, especially Scourge of Iron. When they played Scourge I just lost my shit and started banging my head until I lost feeling in my neck. Aside from the new stuff it was great to hear all the old staples again. I still really want to hear Decency Defied. I'm really hoping they add that next time they come around. All in all another 10/10 performance from CC. Looking forward to round 5 next time they come around.

Cannibal Corpse 10/10 as always

Demented Aggression
Sarcophagic Frenzy
Scourge of Iron
Disfigured
Evisceration Plague
The Time to Kill is Now
Covered With Sores
Born in a Casket
I Cum Blood
Encased in Concrete
Priests of Sodom
Unleashing the Bloodthirsty
Make Them Suffer
Hammer Smashed Face
Stripped, Raped and Strangled

Last edited by BloodoftheKings; 08-09-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:50 AM
welp

Scourge was the best song of the night. Heavy as fucking shit. Overall I probably enjoyed Periphery's set the most, as I've been dying to see them for a while and I've been listening to their new album nonstop.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Sad Wings Of Destiny

Goatwhore closed with Apocalyptic Havoc, it wasn't the second song.

That concert was fucking great! I missed Exhumed but luckily I got there in time to see Goatwhore. I was psyched to hear them open with Alchemy of the Black Sun Cult, but nothing from the first two albums =

I chilled during JFAC/Veil/Periphery, then I was back on the floor for The Faceless. They sounded great as always but like most of the people there I was pissed that they had to cut a song. Oh well, at least BTBAM and Corpse could still play their full sets. Speaking of BTBAM, WOW! I hadn't seen them since they did the Progressive Nation tour back in '08, and I had forgotten how great they are live. It made me mad that I didn't go see them when they were touring for The Great Misdirect. But that doesn't matter because they were fucking great last night. White Walls and Sun of Nothing absolutely DESTROYED live. And of course, Cannibal Corpse... what else needs to be said? Sick as FUCK, like always. At first it was lame because I was stuck next to some 4 foot black chick and her friend who was desperately searching for his phone on the floor, which was annoying, but I helped him find it so all was well. As an added bonus, they left and I was standing right behind some short little blonde chick with shorts and a tank top pulled down so there was just bra showing. And she was headbanging and singing along too! So she wasn't just eye-candy, she knew her shit.

All in all it was a great night. Made me realize I need to go to more club shows.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:43 PM
N00B

Great review! I particularly enjoyed your bit about BTBAM. As someone who had never seen them up until last week, I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew they were supposed to be 'proggier,' but like you, I was blown away by White Walls and Son of Nothing in particular. I kept the last half of Son of Nothing on loop throughout my drive home that night.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by girnny777 View Post
GAt first it was lame because I was stuck next to some 4 foot black chick and her friend who was desperately searching for his phone on the floor, which was annoying, but I helped him find it so all was well.
I know exactly who you're talking about.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Metalhead.

Cool review dude.

No An Autopsy to close out The Faceless set though?
12/11 Rolling Stones
15/11 Gorguts / Portal
27/11 Ne Obliviscaris / Beyond Creation
Old 08-10-2012, 06:34 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
Hanging out downstairs was made very difficult by the venue staff who kept forcing people out of spots and trying to make them go upstairs to watch JFAC. Never in my life have I been to a venue that tried to force people to watch shitty bands.

WTF? I don't understand how that could possibly be done - forcing people out of where they are sitting/hanging out ...unless its a fire hazard or venue is closing. I mean there have been shows I've attended that I've seen people in a back room or no where near the band...just hanging out the entire time.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Sad Wings Of Destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchimyo View Post
WTF? I don't understand how that could possibly be done - forcing people out of where they are sitting/hanging out ...unless its a fire hazard or venue is closing. I mean there have been shows I've attended that I've seen people in a back room or no where near the band...just hanging out the entire time.
To be fair, it was really crowded downstairs.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Metal-Setlistcore

JFAC > Goatwhore

Dead serious.

Tags
between the buried and me, cannibal corpse, cerebral bore, exhumed, goatwhore, job for a cowboy, periphery, the contortionist, the faceless, veil of maya