Deep Purple -- Orlando, FL -- August 30th, 2014
Dropdead -- Scottsdale, AZ -- August 30th, 2014
Chevelle -- Wallingford, CT -- August 30th, 2014

Old 08-07-2012, 06:36 AM
Banned Asshole

same case how?
Old 08-07-2012, 06:50 AM
N00B

I'm a huge Tool fan, but there are so many reasons it wouldn't work. Not trying to be a Debby Downer, but think about it:

1. As pointed out, their stage show. I'm willing to bet that thing costs hundreds of thousands of dollars per show.

2. They're not metal, or even hard rock, really. If they played most of Undertow then maybe, but Lateralus and 10,000 Days material wouldn't fit the feel of the festival at all.

3. Let's face it - Maynard treats Tool like he used to treat A Perfect Circle - it's a fun side project when he's not doing other stuff. Nothing wrong with that, but it's the truth. There's a good chance he'll be busy touring with Puscifer.

4. Hopefully these guys will be doing a tour of their own with a new album.

5. Ticket prices would go waaaayyy up. I've seen Tool twice, and even their cheap tickets are around $55-$60.

6. The audiences would clash something fierce. While I'll admit, it'd be fun to watch the dichotomy of, say, A7X fans and Tool fans, I feel like Tool doesn't cater to a party/metal crowd. Quite the opposite, usually.

I know they played Ozzfest a few years ago, but I don't see something like that happening again. My money is on Deftones for at least direct support next year. Their new album comes out in October, and their show, while still expensive, isn't anywhere near as costly as Rammstein or Tool's.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:22 AM
N00B

If Deftones play expect some other big names to anchor it

I could see them on main with Avenged Sevendold if someone like KSE or LOG was to headline the sidestage(which wouldn't be out of the question IMO)
Old 08-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Flying Whales is about fat chicks crowdsurfing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detuned View Post
i was there, they played over LOG, and no one was pissed
I was...
Old 08-07-2012, 09:18 AM
Cowboy From Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenocide View Post
I was...
Lol
Old 08-07-2012, 10:34 AM
From beyond beyond the thunder dome

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlamesOfBirchmen View Post
6. The audiences would clash something fierce. While I'll admit, it'd be fun to watch the dichotomy of, say, A7X fans and Tool fans, I feel like Tool doesn't cater to a party/metal crowd. Quite the opposite, usually.
If the line-up was Tool & A7X that would be the one and only time I would be excited to see A7X because watching the uptight Tool fans fight the uptight A7X fans would just make my day.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:00 PM

I'm pretty sure the deal was that Tool only played Ozzfest if the Melvins were allowed to also tour on it.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:01 PM

I think Rob Zombie would be in the same spot he was in 2010 if he did the tour again.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Banned Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma323 View Post
I'm pretty sure the deal was that Tool only played Ozzfest if the Melvins were allowed to also tour on it.
yeah it was something like that. and ozzfest was at the very end of the aenima tour cycle, i.e. their rise to power so to speak, and not coincidentally the last time they had to resort to supporting anyone or playing with awful bands (not counting one off destination festivals). if somehow hell froze over and tool did headline a festival tour like mayhem, you best bet they would insist on curating most, if not all of it.

but once again, never gonna happen. they can pack all the same venues (some cases even bigger) mayhem can on their own, at comparable or higher ticket prices, so why on earth would they cut in an energy drink sponsored festival tour brand and 10-15 other bands. if anything they could just start their own festival.

and i realize this is probably the logic behind thinking rammstein is just as unlikely, but the difference being tool has the 14 year track record of doing that consistently tour after tour, whereas rammstein only has a single comparable level north america tour under their belts, which im thinking was largely dependent on them not touring here for 9 years and just the spectacle/hype factor. whos to say yet that they can continue at that level on a regular basis and that people will continue to come out.

Last edited by detuned; 08-07-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:25 PM

Mastodon tried to get Mayhem to book High on Fire in 2008 but it didn't work