Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 07-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
Didn't someone post a Paramore, or something along those lines, set once upon a time?
I think treghet posted one when he went to Warped Tour in San Diego last August.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:33 AM
Director, Set List Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
Who is really getting a hair up their ass about what setlists get posted in the Setlist and Gig Reports section? It doesn't say METAL setlists for that section, just setlists.

THis isgoing to get annoying very quickly.
It is.

Do I really need to explain www.METALsetlists.com?
Old 07-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Give Me A Dollar or Give Me Fifty Cents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_turkey_ed View Post
You could explain what is considered metal. That would be a help.
Steve Hackett - 11/20
Living Colour - 12/1
Cat Stevens - 12/4
Old 07-26-2012, 03:12 PM
That Guy

Quote:
It is.

Primus isn't Metal? Since when?
Old 07-26-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
You could explain what is considered metal. That would be a help.
Look at the home page.. top 100 tags... plenty of examples, esp the more popular / bigger tags. Yes, there are names in there that are less metal than others. There a couple names there that aren't listed as metal in my iTunes but I can stretch an argument to why they might included here. The list isn't perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
Primus isn't Metal? Since when?
When was it ever? One could describe Primus a lot of ways but I'm not sure metal would really be one of them. As a bassist myself, I'm a huge Les Claypool fan.

Bottom-line: This isn't about defining a metal orthodoxy. It's our editorial discretion as to what thread goes where. We've allowed non-metal in the discussion in the past, and will continue to do so at our discretion. There are times when such threads may get moved. Some got moved today.

If someone is truly upset about a move, make a constructive post or pm me.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:43 AM
not the mama

Quote:
When was it ever? One could describe Primus a lot of ways but I'm not sure metal would really be one of them. As a bassist myself, I'm a huge Les Claypool fan.
http://rateyourmusic.com/genre/Funk+Metal/
Old 07-27-2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredFlame View Post
Fair enough, constructive.

From Wikipedia"Funk metal is a subgenre of funk rock that fuses elements of heavy metal and funk. Allmusic has claimed that "funk metal evolved in the mid-'80s when alternative bands like the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Fishbone began playing the hybrid with a stronger funk underpinning than metal." Interesting in same introduction... "Primus, a band that has never had a clear genre, ...".

Looking at Funk Rock, there is clearly something else more ( a lot more) going on in terms of influences than metal.

I consider a lot of these bands against the context of normative metal culture, and it results in them being placed in macro categories -- fair or not -- outside Metal. It's not a judgment on the quality of their music, only on their place in the musical universe as I see it. In my iTunes, Primus is tagged Alternative -- even though to me, Primus is just Primus / unique.

Forget for a moment that Funk Metal has the word metal in it. And screw what others think it is. Consider the music and scene. Is that really metal? Formative years of many of these bands? Primus in particular? Was that really metal?

What do you think? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Last edited by hot_turkey_ed; 07-27-2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:09 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Fair enough, constructive.

From Wikipedia"Funk metal is a subgenre of funk rock that fuses elements of heavy metal and funk. Allmusic has claimed that "funk metal evolved in the mid-'80s when alternative bands like the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Fishbone began playing the hybrid with a stronger funk underpinning than metal." Interesting in same introduction... "Primus, a band that has never had a clear genre, ...".

Looking at Funk Rock, there is clearly something else more ( a lot more) going on in terms of influences than metal.

I consider a lot of these bands against the context of normative metal culture, and it results in them being placed in macro categories -- fair or not -- outside Metal. It's not a judgment on the quality of their music, only on their place in the musical universe as I see it. In my iTunes, Primus is tagged Alternative -- even though to me, Primus is just Primus / unique.

Forget for a moment that Funk Metal has the word metal in it. And Screw what others think it is. Consider the music and scene. Is that really metal? Formative years of many of these bands? Primus in particular? Was that really metal?

I've never thought of Primus as a metal band, and funk metal really isn't metal to me. Same goes for rap metal. The genre does have a little bit of metal influence, but it's so minute that I don't think it's enough to warrant calling it "metal".
Old 07-27-2012, 06:40 AM
not the mama

Quote:

Forget for a moment that Funk Metal has the word metal in it. And screw what others think it is. Consider the music and scene. Is that really metal? Formative years of many of these bands? Primus in particular? Was that really metal?

Personally I don't really care if something makes an impact on the metal scene in order to be considered metal. Metal can mix with many different musical styles and even if it's not completely metal, I wouldn't take a metal tag away from. Many avant-garde metal acts like Maudlin of the Well can range from mixing classical tracks to straight up death metal tracks, or mix both in the same track. Regardless if they belonged to a particular scene or not, or if their albums aren't completely composed of metal riffs, people are still going to consider them metal.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Primus isn't metal.

But they're pretty close.

And they're good.

It's not hard.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac