Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA-- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 07-18-2012, 09:42 PM
And now itís time to pull through. Something I must do with or without you.

Hmmm I dug what I've heard so far. Seriously March to the Sea. Love that tune!
Tough Mudder-10/26
TGI/ETID-11/15
Old 07-18-2012, 10:50 PM
That Guy

How can real music fans hate this? If you don't dig this style of music, I get that, but if they only reason is because they are not as sludgey and more mellow is just retarded.

This is a damn killer album and even I would say this is my favorite Baroness album.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:53 PM
And now itís time to pull through. Something I must do with or without you.

Almost done listening to it and it's great. This band is just amazing. Fucking love the mellowness to it. Who knows what the band will do next, I appreciate each album for what they are. I mean bands/artists write music depending on what state of mind they are in and this is a great one!
Tough Mudder-10/26
TGI/ETID-11/15
Old 07-19-2012, 03:12 AM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
How can real music fans hate this? If you don't dig this style of music, I get that, but if they only reason is because they are not as sludgey and more mellow is just retarded.

This is a damn killer album and even I would say this is my favorite Baroness album.
Exactly. And really, there's maybe two songs on here that are a total departure for them. If you've been listening to Baroness all along, this stylistic shift shouldn't surprise you at all.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:19 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

I have given it multiple tries and went in with an open mind, but I think this album is god awful. I was bored as all hell listening to this and the distinct lack of emotion or originality on this album makes it painful to listen to. Yellow isn't too bad (outside of Eula and Little Things), but Green is nothing short of an abomination imo. John Baizley doesn't have the vocal chops (I'm not saying he is a bad vocalist because he is far from it, but his voice is way better suited to be singing progressive/sludge metal indie folk not to mention that music is extremely bland. I have no issue with change in sound, It's just that Baroness's new sound fails on just about every level. If they don't want make metal albums anymore fine, but they have no business making indie folk shit either imo. It really pains me to hate a Baroness album this much considering how much I love their other material, but I just can not get behind their new sound at all.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 07-19-2012, 04:23 AM
N00B

If you like metal, and only metal (mostly), you're not going to like this record. I've read reviews and interviews talking about how Baroness is redefining metal and what's considered "heavy" with this record. That's complete bullshit because this record is not metal and it's not heavy. Just because a band goes from playing heavy metal to not playing heavy metal doesn't mean they're redefining the entire genre.

Anyway, I like the album. It's frustrating at times because you don't get many of those powerful moments that you know Baroness is capable of, but the album moves you in other ways. The other negative is that it's a little too much. A single album with 12 or 13 songs might have been the way to go during this transitional phase.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:18 AM
N00B

I love it. I prefer their heavier sound, and hope they return to it on their next album. However, it's still definitely Baroness and I'm glad they made this album.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:58 AM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

I've listened to it a good amount now and there are a few songs I like but I just feel like a good 85% of the album is filler with no purpose.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:19 AM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
I have given it multiple tries and went in with an open mind, but I think this album is god awful. I was bored as all hell listening to this and the distinct lack of emotion or originality on this album makes it painful to listen to. Yellow isn't too bad (outside of Eula and Little Things), but Green is nothing short of an abomination imo. John Baizley doesn't have the vocal chops (I'm not saying he is a bad vocalist because he is far from it, but his voice is way better suited to be singing progressive/sludge metal indie folk not to mention that music is extremely bland. I have no issue with change in sound, It's just that Baroness's new sound fails on just about every level. If they don't want make metal albums anymore fine, but they have no business making indie folk shit either imo. It really pains me to hate a Baroness album this much considering how much I love their other material, but I just can not get behind their new sound at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmetal108 View Post
I've listened to it a good amount now and there are a few songs I like but I just feel like a good 85% of the album is filler with no purpose.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:46 AM
Buahahahahaha

While I really do like this record, it isn't even close to the same level of awesome as Red or Blue.
10/30 KING DIAMOND
11/06 Intronaut