Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Skid Row -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 20th, 2014
The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014

Old 06-17-2012, 12:29 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Everyone should be required to watch this show.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:28 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

I have never seen it. Want to , yet haven't.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Reading book one right now. Very surprised at how little is left out on the show. A few things did come to my attention, though:

1. Daenerys' psychological transformation into a Khaleesi is much shorter in the book than on the show.

2. In the book, Catelyn tells Ser Rodrik of her history with Littlefinger en route to King's Landing. I don't recall this happening on the show... Were it to be included, it'd make the importance of Littlefinger's monologue to the two prostitutes easier to understand. I myself failed to realize Littlefinger was talking about Catelyn when I first watched the scene.

Incredibly stoked for season three
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 07-16-2012, 05:01 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal_descent View Post
Reading book one right now. Very surprised at how little is left out on the show. A few things did come to my attention, though:

1. Daenerys' psychological transformation into a Khaleesi is much shorter in the book than on the show.

2. In the book, Catelyn tells Ser Rodrik of her history with Littlefinger en route to King's Landing. I don't recall this happening on the show... Were it to be included, it'd make the importance of Littlefinger's monologue to the two prostitutes easier to understand. I myself failed to realize Littlefinger was talking about Catelyn when I first watched the scene.

Incredibly stoked for season three
Daenerys' role in general in the first two books has been extended in the show. She is a major character but at the same time, her storyline doesn't get any depth (imo) until A Storm of Swords. And while it would've been easier, Littlefinger's dialogue gave HBO an excuse to have a sex scene in the episode. I do wonder how they will introduce Edmure and the Blackfish in season 3 since their introductions will have to be quite different from AGoT
Old 04-02-2013, 12:33 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

I'm bumping this because I think the new season starts soon, if it hasn't started already.

Feel free to discuss. I won't be watching until my brother-in-law rips me a few episodes but I don't mind spoilers.
10/18 - King Diamond
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 04-02-2013, 01:10 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I'm bumping this because I think the new season starts soon, if it hasn't started already.

Feel free to discuss. I won't be watching until my brother-in-law rips me a few episodes but I don't mind spoilers.
Started last night. I enjoyed the first episode, things are getting more interesting as the characters take on bigger, or smaller, roles.

Also, Dragons.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:12 PM

I just did season three in one sitting. I didn't like it too much. It was a little slow and jumped around between too many characters. I guess seasons three and four are actually going to be the third book split in half, from what I've heard. And that makes sense since this season seemed like the start of a lot.

Not enough Whitewalkers either. Something tells me my desire to see more of that won't be fulfilled until season eight.
10/18 - King Diamond
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 07-01-2013, 06:00 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
I just did season three in one sitting. I didn't like it too much. It was a little slow and jumped around between too many characters. I guess seasons three and four are actually going to be the third book split in half, from what I've heard. And that makes sense since this season seemed like the start of a lot.

Not enough Whitewalkers either. Something tells me my desire to see more of that won't be fulfilled until season eight.
Too slow and jumping around between too many characters describes this whole shows run, not just this season. This season I ended up fast forwarding through a lot of it and still didn't feel like I missed anything by the end of it. There's too many characters and I've not been given one good reason to care about 90 percent of them. Remembering all their names is a whole other thing to. Besides Tyrion, Ned Stark, Arya, Daenerys and her dragons I find that I don't care about anyone else on the show. Jon Snow and Robb Stark are decent supporting characters but nobody else does anything for me . It's just too all over the place and needs to concentrate on just a handful of characters.

The "Red Wedding" episode this season was pretty awesome and should've been the season finale. It was funny seeing all over the internet how people freaked out over that episode. It's like they've never watched anything violent on TV or in movies before.

I do look forward to the inevitable wacking of King Geoffrey and please can we get some more damn White Walkers already. All this build up over winter coming and these creatures who come with it and we barely get anything out of it in three seasons When the show is at it's best it's tough to beat. It just takes so damn long to get to the good stuff.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
Too slow and jumping around between too many characters describes this whole shows run, not just this season. This season I ended up fast forwarding through a lot of it and still didn't feel like I missed anything by the end of it. There's too many characters and I've not been given one good reason to care about 90 percent of them. Remembering all their names is a whole other thing to. Besides Tyrion, Ned Stark, Arya, Daenerys and her dragons I find that I don't care about anyone else on the show. Jon Snow and Robb Stark are decent supporting characters but nobody else does anything for me . It's just too all over the place and needs to concentrate on just a handful of characters.

The "Red Wedding" episode this season was pretty awesome and should've been the season finale. It was funny seeing all over the internet how people freaked out over that episode. It's like they've never watched anything violent on TV or in movies before.

I do look forward to the inevitable wacking of King Geoffrey and please can we get some more damn White Walkers already. All this build up over winter coming and these creatures who come with it and we barely get anything out of it in three seasons When the show is at it's best it's tough to beat. It just takes so damn long to get to the good stuff.
Yup, I pretty much agree with you on all your points. I hate almost every character on the show. I know I'm supposed to hate them but I'm not even rooting for anyone; save that Onion Knight guy, Arya, the Hound, Samwise and Hodor. Like when Catherine got hr throat slashed I was like, "yup".

Of all the characters this season I think I had the biggest hate-on for that girl who's marrying Geoffery. I know she's just playing him, but she's just such a moron.

It's building to a lot with the White Walkers and the dragon girl (who is looking like she will kick some ass) but I have a bad feeling it will be disappointing in the end.

And the nudity and sex is something I'm getting tired of. No girls back then were built like that, no way. It's almost like the author is living out all his fantasies in one fell swoop. But damn, Robb Starks wife had a great ass.

I watched it more out of duty. Doing it in one sitting wasn't a very good idea. The anticipation for the next episode was gone because it was coming right up. And the anticipation for next season was lost because I was exhausted.
10/18 - King Diamond
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 07-01-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:15 AM
N00B

Quote:
Yup, I pretty much agree with you on all your points. I hate almost every character on the show. I know I'm supposed to hate them but I'm not even rooting for anyone; save that Onion Knight guy, Arya, the Hound, Samwise and Hodor. Like when Catherine got hr throat slashed I was like, "yup".

Of all the characters this season I think I had the biggest hate-on for that girl who's marrying Geoffery. I know she's just playing him, but she's just such a moron.

It's building to a lot with the White Walkers and the dragon girl (who is looking like she will kick some ass) but I have a bad feeling it will be disappointing in the end.

And the nudity and sex is something I'm getting tired of. No girls back then were built like that, no way. It's almost like the author is living out all his fantasies in one fell swoop. But damn, Robb Starks wife had a great ass.

I watched it more out of duty. Doing it in one sitting wasn't a very good idea. The anticipation for the next episode was gone because it was coming right up. And the anticipation for next season was lost because I was exhausted.
As a reader of the books I agree with you the story is not translating well onto a TV format. While the first book had a limited cast of characters who were all relatively grouped together, every book after the characters and their stories become more and more separate and spread out. To be honest I have no idea how they are going to even do the show from Season 5 onward. I think it would be best if they completely gave up trying to follow the books.

Its too bad though because while reading the books you get such good insight into all the characters it really makes you want to root for all of them. They are unique and interested, some of my favorite characters are the "bad" guys like Jaime Lannister, Littlefinger, Roose Bolton, Stannis, etc. On the show they dont have nearly enough time to develop these characters fully.

And while the books have some sex and nudity, its HBO who is putting a tits and ass quota in every episode. The book is not nearly this filled with pointless sex. For example the scene with Rob Stark and his wife's ass was completely made up.

BUT the 4th season will be sick, provided they don't completely change the source material.