Killswitch Engage -- Providence, RI -- July 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 07-09-2012, 03:06 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal_descent View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by street_burial View Post
you listen to one of the most horrible bands in existence. Baroness. At least JD stands up for his music.

You also sell very shitty oranges.
Says the guy who has 269 Asking Alexandria plays, 287 Hollywood Undead plays and 960 BFMV plays on his Last.fm
Old 07-09-2012, 04:01 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Really? Are you kidding me? It's so dead. Crabcore is dying, too. I'd say its on its last legs. Have you listened to the new Of Mice and Men or Attack Attack? Case in point.

As for deathcore, you're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaay behind the times if you think it's still relevant or anywhere as near as popular as it was in say, 2008 or 2009. The only people jocking it nowadays are kids in high school now, who were too young to experience the first deathcore wave of kids who are in college/out of college now. So from a "scene" perspective, there aren't as many people jocking it, plain and simple. I don't care how many people in your little town like it, as a whole it's dying. This is coming from probably the biggest deathcore fan here, too, keep in mind.

Musically, I'd say almost EVERY SINGLE MAJOR BAND in the genre has changed their style from deathcore. This doesn't count the hundreds of smaller bands, who have long since disbanded or become completely irrelevant. Even more major ones, like Despised Icon. The singer is in a "ghostinsidecore" band (obey the brave) now! I'm talkin' the Major Leage of deathcore. The pros. The biggest stylistic sub-genre they've gone towards is "nu-nu-metal" or "soulflycore", whatever fake name you want to give it. But it isn't deathcore. Whitechapel was going that way with A New Era (I'd say that was the first nail in the coffin for deathcore), adopting a more commercial, traditional groove or death metal sound. The new self-titled is just a further iteration of that style, with even spoken word, angsty build up to a JUMPDAFUCKUP breakdown coming in, straight out of 2001. They even threw out the old logo! It isn't on or in the new album at all! Just "Whitechapel", in a distressed font. It isn't deathcore. Suicide Silence has definitely adopted this style to with the Black Crown. I mean, they had Jonathan fuckin' Davis do vocals on a song that was basically Korn 2.0.

Winds of Plague is becoming more and more a sick, ignorant hardcore band with the new album from last year. They still have some solid, traditional dethcore-y tracks, but for the most part, it's the derivative of a hardcore band experimenting with different levels of heaviness. A lot of the "death" aspect of "deathcore" is gone for them, keep that in mind. Just because a band has all breakdowns DOES NOT make them deathcore. Acacia Stain definitely adopted this style with Wormwood, and I think they're the best now that they've ever been. Can you call Wormwood a deathcore album? Maybe. Where's the "death" part of it? The speed? Blast beats? Any influence from death metal at all? It simply isn't there. For all intents and purposes, its a ridiculously heavy version of Throwdown or Bury Your Dead, definitely falling under the hardcore family of music. You could throw Emmure in here, too, I guess, who are basically the heavy version of 25 Ta Life. Very much NOT deathcore anymore. And if anyone listened to that new album of theirs, it's totally trying to be "ghostinsidecore" and melodic, too. Not deathcore, bro.

We got All Shall Perish making a comeback, which I love, but how deathcore-y are they nowadays anyway? They took the opposite direction as the Acacia Strain, turning into a straight-up metal band. Same with Job For A Cowboy. They want to grow up, get away from those -core roots of theirs.

You got *maybe* a couple real deathcore bands left. Impending Doom flirts with becoming "soulflycore" but they're more or less the same bland deathcore that has been around since the good ol' days. I Declare War are DEFINITELY still deathcore, and I loved the self-titled that came out last year, but it actually got ZERO attention. And I never see anyone jocking I Declare War merch, let alone see them on any decent tours since 2010. As Blood Runs Black tried to make a pitiful comeback last year, but kind of sort of totally failed miserably. I'm sure a couple high school kids got their stuff and maybe went to their shows, but they're playing for rooms of 50 people in the smallest venues around. And I really like them.

What else do you need? The Red Chord hasn't been deathcore in years. I can't remember the last time I saw a kid get excited over Carnifex. Has Molotov Solution or ABACABB played shows in the last 2 years? Oceano had that "oh let's break up 'cuz no one likes us anymore" phase but decided they wanted to try and still be relevant. Guess what? Not gonna work out for 'em. Chelsea Grin became metalcore. Upon a Burning Body became metalcore. Hell, fucking Summer Slaughter doesn't have a single deathcore band on it for the first time in history! And don't you joke with me and try and argue that JFAC is still deathcore. I bet you they play not a single deathcore song on that entire tour.

What other proof do you need? Mitch Lucker cut his hair off. Everyone dresses like hipsters now. If you're following the pulse of popular teenage counter-culture music, it's all about The Wonder Years, Story So Far, Title Fight, or stuff like The Ghost Inside or For Today. Deathcore is nowhere to be found. DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED on the demise of crabcore, or the demise of easycore. It's like the hardcore punk scene in 1985 or 1986. Deathcore is definitely done.

The scene has changed, no one dresses or acts the part anymore as a whole.

All the minor bands have died out or become irrelevent.

All the major bands have switched genres, whether leaning more towards metal, hardcore, or nu-nu-metal.

This response took me a while. Hopefully it puts this issue to rest. Try and fuck with my infallible logic.

I agree with all this.
8/15 Dr. Shrinker
8/16 KISS
8/23 Midnight ?
8/29 Sleep
Old 07-09-2012, 04:21 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Not gonna really do a review of this because everything has pretty much already been said. I'll just rank the bands I saw:

1-100. Anti-Flag
101. The Ghost Inside
102. Streetlight Manifesto
103. Hyro Da Hero
104. Title Fight
105. Iwrestledabearonce
106. After the Burial
107. Born of Osiris
108. Chelsea Grin
109. Skip the Foreplay
110. Miss May I
111. Everytime I Die
112. BlessTheFall
113. Memphis May Fire

The two funniest things all day were jd "hardcore dancing" and picking up those Magic cards and when the singer from BOO called out for a circle pit around the sound tent and there was one douchebag running through the crowd of people.

Anti-Flag was phenomenal! My only complaint was that they didn't a really extended cover of "Should I Stay or Should I Go" and didn't play "Die for Your Government." I couldn't mosh too much because my blisters were horrible by that point, but I did a lot for the first three songs. They opened with my favorite song by them, "Fuck Police Brutality" which had me screaming the lyrics. The crowd went crazier for them than I had seen all day. They played in the amphitheater and the whole GA pit was a mosh pit for most of the time. At one point the whole pit turned into a circle pit. I've been waiting five or six years to finally see them and they did not disappoint! I could go on and on about this performance. I'm not really familiar with their last two albums, so I'm kind of using Setlist.fm to piece this together, but it looks like they're changing it up quite a bit. Something like this:

Fuck Police Brutality
This is the End (for You My Friend)
Broken Bones
The Press Corpse
Turncoat
This is the New Sound
Should I Stay or Should I Go (The Clash cover)
Cities Burn
Power to the Peaceful
8/15 Dr. Shrinker
8/16 KISS
8/23 Midnight ?
8/29 Sleep
Old 07-09-2012, 05:23 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Really? Are you kidding me? It's so dead. Crabcore is dying, too. I'd say its on its last legs. Have you listened to the new Of Mice and Men or Attack Attack? Case in point.

As for deathcore, you're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaay behind the times if you think it's still relevant or anywhere as near as popular as it was in say, 2008 or 2009. The only people jocking it nowadays are kids in high school now, who were too young to experience the first deathcore wave of kids who are in college/out of college now. So from a "scene" perspective, there aren't as many people jocking it, plain and simple. I don't care how many people in your little town like it, as a whole it's dying. This is coming from probably the biggest deathcore fan here, too, keep in mind.

Musically, I'd say almost EVERY SINGLE MAJOR BAND in the genre has changed their style from deathcore. This doesn't count the hundreds of smaller bands, who have long since disbanded or become completely irrelevant. Even more major ones, like Despised Icon. The singer is in a "ghostinsidecore" band (obey the brave) now! I'm talkin' the Major Leage of deathcore. The pros. The biggest stylistic sub-genre they've gone towards is "nu-nu-metal" or "soulflycore", whatever fake name you want to give it. But it isn't deathcore. Whitechapel was going that way with A New Era (I'd say that was the first nail in the coffin for deathcore), adopting a more commercial, traditional groove or death metal sound. The new self-titled is just a further iteration of that style, with even spoken word, angsty build up to a JUMPDAFUCKUP breakdown coming in, straight out of 2001. They even threw out the old logo! It isn't on or in the new album at all! Just "Whitechapel", in a distressed font. It isn't deathcore. Suicide Silence has definitely adopted this style to with the Black Crown. I mean, they had Jonathan fuckin' Davis do vocals on a song that was basically Korn 2.0.

Winds of Plague is becoming more and more a sick, ignorant hardcore band with the new album from last year. They still have some solid, traditional dethcore-y tracks, but for the most part, it's the derivative of a hardcore band experimenting with different levels of heaviness. A lot of the "death" aspect of "deathcore" is gone for them, keep that in mind. Just because a band has all breakdowns DOES NOT make them deathcore. Acacia Stain definitely adopted this style with Wormwood, and I think they're the best now that they've ever been. Can you call Wormwood a deathcore album? Maybe. Where's the "death" part of it? The speed? Blast beats? Any influence from death metal at all? It simply isn't there. For all intents and purposes, its a ridiculously heavy version of Throwdown or Bury Your Dead, definitely falling under the hardcore family of music. You could throw Emmure in here, too, I guess, who are basically the heavy version of 25 Ta Life. Very much NOT deathcore anymore. And if anyone listened to that new album of theirs, it's totally trying to be "ghostinsidecore" and melodic, too. Not deathcore, bro.

We got All Shall Perish making a comeback, which I love, but how deathcore-y are they nowadays anyway? They took the opposite direction as the Acacia Strain, turning into a straight-up metal band. Same with Job For A Cowboy. They want to grow up, get away from those -core roots of theirs.

You got *maybe* a couple real deathcore bands left. Impending Doom flirts with becoming "soulflycore" but they're more or less the same bland deathcore that has been around since the good ol' days. I Declare War are DEFINITELY still deathcore, and I loved the self-titled that came out last year, but it actually got ZERO attention. And I never see anyone jocking I Declare War merch, let alone see them on any decent tours since 2010. As Blood Runs Black tried to make a pitiful comeback last year, but kind of sort of totally failed miserably. I'm sure a couple high school kids got their stuff and maybe went to their shows, but they're playing for rooms of 50 people in the smallest venues around. And I really like them.

What else do you need? The Red Chord hasn't been deathcore in years. I can't remember the last time I saw a kid get excited over Carnifex. Has Molotov Solution or ABACABB played shows in the last 2 years? Oceano had that "oh let's break up 'cuz no one likes us anymore" phase but decided they wanted to try and still be relevant. Guess what? Not gonna work out for 'em. Chelsea Grin became metalcore. Upon a Burning Body became metalcore. Hell, fucking Summer Slaughter doesn't have a single deathcore band on it for the first time in history! And don't you joke with me and try and argue that JFAC is still deathcore. I bet you they play not a single deathcore song on that entire tour.

What other proof do you need? Mitch Lucker cut his hair off. Everyone dresses like hipsters now. If you're following the pulse of popular teenage counter-culture music, it's all about The Wonder Years, Story So Far, Title Fight, or stuff like The Ghost Inside or For Today. Deathcore is nowhere to be found. DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED on the demise of crabcore, or the demise of easycore. It's like the hardcore punk scene in 1985 or 1986. Deathcore is definitely done.

The scene has changed, no one dresses or acts the part anymore as a whole.

All the minor bands have died out or become irrelevent.

All the major bands have switched genres, whether leaning more towards metal, hardcore, or nu-nu-metal.

This response took me a while. Hopefully it puts this issue to rest. Try and fuck with my infallible logic.

I mostly agree, but you're idea of deathcore is different from mine. Whitechapel, All Shall Perish, The Acacia Strain, Suicide Silence and quite a few other bands are still deathcore (and still popular). Job For A Cowboy is one of the few deathcore bands that actually got out of the genre (and have been out for quite some time). Whitechapel's sound has a changed a bit, but that still doesn't mean they aren't deathcore (The others I mentioned really haven't changed much at all). I don't think deathcore is dead, I just think your definition of deathcore (scene haircuts, breakdowns every 2 seconds) is dead. The songwriting has gotten better and the genre has evolved, it isn't dead.

A few things you were way off on though:
1. The Red Chord was never deathcore, they have been deathgrind with minimal core undertones from the beginning.

2.There is a deathcore band on Summer Slaughter and that would be Veil of Maya. I don't care how many times you say it Sumeriancore isn't a real genre (neither is Ikeacore (This one is especially retarded) or Easycore for that matter.)

3.The Acacia Strain has always had heavy hardcore influences, but they are still deathcore. It's kind of like Despised Icon when they were still active, they are the epitome of the actual definition of deathcore: death metal/hardcore hybrid.

4.Molotov Solution has played a show in the past two years: I've seen them twice in the past two years and they played at NEMHF in April. They just broke up a few weeks ago though.
9/28 Coheed

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 07-09-2012, 05:57 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
I mostly agree, but you're idea of deathcore is different from mine. Whitechapel, All Shall Perish, The Acacia Strain, Suicide Silence and quite a few other bands are still deathcore (and still popular). Job For A Cowboy is one of the few deathcore bands that actually got out of the genre (and have been out for quite some time). Whitechapel's sound has a changed a bit, but that still doesn't mean they aren't deathcore (The others I mentioned really haven't changed much at all). I don't think deathcore is dead, I just think your definition of deathcore (scene haircuts, breakdowns every 2 seconds) is dead. The songwriting has gotten better and the genre has evolved, it isn't dead.

A few things you were way off on though:
1. The Red Chord was never deathcore, they have been deathgrind with minimal core undertones from the beginning.

2.There is a deathcore band on Summer Slaughter and that would be Veil of Maya. I don't care how many times you say it Sumeriancore isn't a real genre (neither is Ikeacore (This one is especially retarded) or Easycore for that matter.)

3.The Acacia Strain has always had heavy hardcore influences, but they are still deathcore. It's kind of like Despised Icon when they were still active, they are the epitome of the actual definition of deathcore: death metal/hardcore hybrid.

4.Molotov Solution has played a show in the past two years: I've seen them twice in the past two years and they played at NEMHF in April. They just broke up a few weeks ago though.
Fair enough, I guess we can agree to disagree.

And Zach, anti-flag sounds like so much fun... too bad they were overlapping with other great bands.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:38 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Fair enough, I guess we can agree to disagree.

And Zach, anti-flag sounds like so much fun... too bad they were overlapping with other great bands.
Yeah, I was pretty upset that a lot of the bands that I wanted to see were all towards the end, but I don't regret my choice one bit as I'm sure you and Alex don't either.

Also, Molotov Solution breaking up is awesome news.
8/15 Dr. Shrinker
8/16 KISS
8/23 Midnight ?
8/29 Sleep
Old 07-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Hell no. The Ghost Inside was the definition of fun. I mean I've never once seen a lead singer smile nonstop for a set. The crowd was overly passionate and so was the band.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:31 PM
N00B

Heh....crabcore is on its last legs...
Old 07-10-2012, 08:10 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlamesOfBirchmen View Post
Heh....crabcore is on its last legs...
Maybe not right now, but it's past its peak and it's declining for sure. Asking Alexandria are turning into radio-rock, and Attack Attack and Of Mice and Men are doing this weird djent-y thing. Keep up to date, bro.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:11 AM
N00B

Ghost Inside set pls

Tags
after the burial, chelsea grin, every time i die, for today, iwrestledabearonce, man overboard, miss may i, new found glory, streetlight manifesto, title fight, warped tour