Abominations
The Ancient Ones
Unholy Blasphemies
They Kingdom Come
Dead Shall Rise
Bleed For The Devil
Chapel Of Ghouls
Lord Of All Fevers And Plague

This was my first time seeing Morbid Angel and I didn’t even have “Altars of Madness” yet so I was more or less just checking them out. Needless to say I was impressed and quickly hit up the local record store and picked up the CD a week or so later. At the time of the show I didn’t know any of the songs, but I wound up getting a bootleg of the show from a friend a few months later so I can confirm the set list from the tape of the show. I recently dug up an old box of my cassette bootlegs so as I re-listen to them I’ll try to get around posting some vintage shows.

PS: Despite the fact that “Altars” was 2 years old, this was actually the first “proper” US Tour to support “Altars” as it was recently re-issued in the USA by Combat/Relativity. While Earache Records did initially release “Altars” in 1989 they did not have major worldwide distribution and the CD was only available as a “hard to find” import in the USA. In 1990 Earache signed a USA distribution deal with Combat/Relativity and during ’90 to ‘91 the Earache back catalog was re-issued in the USA for the first time with “major” distribution by Combat/Relativity. While Morbid Angel did perform sporadic US shows prior to 1991 they did not do a full length US Tour until “Altars” was re-issued in early 1991, and to the best of knowledge this was their first ever Chicago show.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Blessed Are The Sick was two months away from release.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:53 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Blessed Are The Sick was two months away from release.
Very true, but I already explained why they were touring so late for "Altars" - it was recently re-issued in the USA by Combat/Relativity. I went to this show and they were only selling "Altars" merch, and while they were playing material from "Blessed" it was merely to "pad out" the set since they were headlining and needed the extra songs to fill their set. The official "Blessed" tour was later in the year in Oct/Nov.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Altars of Radness

That set is so awesome. And you even got a Terrorizer song! The only thing that's missing is Evil Spells.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Holy shit, this is the reason for forums like this to exist. Nicely done, man. Welcome to hell, and hope to see more posts like this in the future.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:21 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
That set is so awesome. And you even got a Terrorizer song! The only thing that's missing is Evil Spells.

Hoy fuck I didn't even notice that! Awesome!
Old 07-08-2012, 03:58 AM
N00B

Morbid Angel did tour the US in 1990, playing shows in Flint, MI and Jackson, MI.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:01 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhonicsMonkey View Post
Morbid Angel did tour the US in 1990, playing shows in Flint, MI and Jackson, MI.
Was it late August or early Septmeber?

I did admit they played "sporadic" US shows prior to '91. The did play Milwaukee Metalfest IV in 1990 (August 31 to be exact) and I know they did a few shows either on the way to Milwaukee or on the way back, but I wouldn't call it a full tour - it was just a handful of shows.

PS: When they came back in the fall for the actual "Blessed" tour they kept "Dead Shall Rise" in the set.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:01 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhonicsMonkey View Post
I saw them in Atlanta in August 1990. Death metal was still underground at the time, and maybe 75 people showed up on a Sunday night. I remember they had a campy upside-down cross in front of the drum riser. I also recall a sizeable portion of the crowd gathered behind Pete Sandoval, since at that time it was quite a feat to play that fast. Now, of course, blast beats are a dime a dozen.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:13 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zla Vydra View Post
I also recall a sizeable portion of the crowd gathered behind Pete Sandoval
Did the security at the venue let people on the stage, or was the place so small that the band played on the floor?

Tags
morbid angel