3. (Cult)uralist
4. I, Dementia
5. Section 8
6. Faces
7. Dead Silence
8. The Night Remains
9. Devoid
10.Possibilities of an Impossible Existence

I've heard that when a band releases an eponymous album that they believe that it sums up their sound as a band. I believe that Whitechapel has done pretty much that with this release. The album sounds like an amalgamation of their three releases thus far with a touch of something fresh. I think that the first lyric of "Make It Bleed" sums up the sound of the album pretty well: "We've been somatically defiled, exiled, and now the new era has come to an
end." This album has elements of The Somatic Defilement (shout-out followed by a breakdown a la "Vicer Exciser"), This Is Exile (random "bleagh" vocals that were common on TIE, faster vocal passages a la "Somatically Incorrect", I also noticed some recurring lyrical motifs that seemed to be throwbacks to TIE lyrical content going so far as to borrow some lines) and A New Era of Corruption (quite a few technical and guitar centric passages. A good example of that would be a lot of the guitar work on "Make It Bleed.") Stylistically though, I think this album is closest to This is Exile.

Now, I think my main complaint with the album might actually come from that "something fresh" that I mentioned earlier. Firstly, The album begins with "Make It Bleed" which has a thirty five second piano intro before the song kicks in that was pretty okay at first, but after a few listens gets kind of old since the album closer, "Possibilites of An Impossible Existence," ends with thirty seconds of the same piano part. I get what they're going for and all, but it just takes away from my listening experience. Secondly, the spoken word parts...they are completely unnecessary. I don't understand why they are even there. It gives the parts that have them a decidedly nu-metal feel and that is NOT good in my opinion. My third ""complaint" is more of a comment because it isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I feel that at some parts Phil's vocals are too comprehensible and not as chaotic as they have been in the past.

Overall, I think this is a great album. As good as TSD or TIE? Definitely not. A good addition to their discography? Sure. I don't find myself necessarily picking out any weak tracks even though I absolutely hated "Section 8" and "Hate Creation" when they were previously released and felt very "meh" about "I, Dementia." The standout tracks for me are "Make It Bleed," "Hate Creation" (my opinion on this one took a complete one eighty), "Dead Silence" and "The Night Remains." I think this album could easily have been the follow-up to This is Exile over A New Era. This isn't gonna change your mind about Whitechapel, but if you're a fan of Whitechapel, This is Exile especially, you should enjoy this album. My rating: 8/10

tl;dr If you like This is Exile, you'll probably enjoy this.

I wrote a lot of this review in my head at work, so it's probably pretty jumbled as I tried getting it all down before I forgot. Anyway, comments? Thoughts? Denouncements of faggotry?
1/5 Genocide Pact ?
1/9 Skull Fist
1/10 Cruel Hand
1/16 Mayhem
Old 06-18-2012, 08:26 AM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Nice review.

I completely agree with the score with it. Glad to see I'm not the only one that enjoyed it.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:56 AM
N00B

Well put. I agree with your points and score for this album.

I didn't mind the piano interlude but couldn't get into the spoken word parts.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:11 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmetal108 View Post
Nice review.

I completely agree with the score with it. Glad to see I'm not the only one that enjoyed it.
Thanks!

I'm actually really surprised by how much I liked it. I went in with no expectations and expecting to hate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0unds View Post
Well put. I agree with your points and score for this album.

I didn't mind the piano interlude but couldn't get into the spoken word parts.
Really the only reason that the piano parts bothered me was because I've been listening to it in my car and I have to listen to over a minute of the same looped piano before I can get to the actually music every time the CD ends.
1/5 Genocide Pact ?
1/9 Skull Fist
1/10 Cruel Hand
1/16 Mayhem
Old 07-06-2012, 02:32 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

I'm so behind, I just got around to reading this now.

Great review, man! Believe it or not, I haven't actually listened to this whole album yet. This piques my interest. But can we all agree that that's some of the WORST album art, ever? I might just photoshop my own album art for it when I put it into iTunes.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:57 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
I'm so behind, I just got around to reading this now.

Great review, man! Believe it or not, I haven't actually listened to this whole album yet. This piques my interest. But can we all agree that that's some of the WORST album art, ever? I might just photoshop my own album art for it when I put it into iTunes.
Thanks, man. I agree about the album art. It's just horrible.

I actually need to go back and listen to this again because my friend just listened to it and said "it was one of the worst albums he's ever heard by a band he liked." He said the drumming was like if Lars Ulrich learned to blast beat.
1/5 Genocide Pact ?
1/9 Skull Fist
1/10 Cruel Hand
1/16 Mayhem
Old 07-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

I've been listening to a bit and upon repeat listen and I can safely say that this is my favorite Whitechapel album. Great stuff.
1/25 August Burns Red
1/31 Machine Head

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 12-20-2012, 02:04 AM
N00B

This album is so much better than A New Era of Corruption. Whitechapel brought back what made them so great in the first place, and added some nice touches. They have refined their sound, made it better so it's not just constant beatdown after beatdown.