Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014
Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014
The Goddamn Gallows -- Long Beach, CA -- April 16th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 06-29-2012, 12:12 AM
brotuhl

Death to All -- New York, NY -- June 28th, 2012

What a seriously awesome show. Every single person killed it, tonight.

First up: Gorguts. I have been wanting to see this band since the reunion was announced. I unfortunately missed them at the headlining show they did last year due to a sold out venue, but even if it was just 8 songs, they were seriously amazing. I wasn't looking forward to the Obscura songs, but they actually transferred pretty well, live. It kinda got me thinking that Gorguts happens to be one of those bands who never had GREAT production. Considered Dead and Erosion of Sanity worked for the old school style, but when they started experimenting, From Wisdom to Hate and Obscura just had very flat productions with no real foundation (imo, obviously).

Regardless, this review isn't about their production, it's about their show. Luc's vocals sound just like they did on Considered Dead. He's such a brutal vocalist. The music was all very tight, which is no easy feat when you actually see what is played on the records. For me, Inverted and Cold and Stiff were the highlights.

From Wisdom to Hate
The Carnal State
Orphans of Sickness
Nostalgia
Stiff and Cold
Inverted
Obscura
The Erosion of Sanity

Next up is a band (or a rendition of) that I never thought I would have ever had the opportunity to see. Steve DiGiorgio alone was one person I never thought I'd get to see live.

Shannon Hamm and Bobby Koelble were SO tight. I'd love to see them do a record, together. It would be a pretty sweet combo.

I was really blown away by Charles Elliot and Matt Harvey. Both of those dudes did an amazing job recreating the vocals. It sounded like Chuck was on that stage. And just think, it only took 7 people to recreate his stage presence.

Masvidal nailed everything. Gene Hoglan, Sean Reinert, Danny Walker, Steve DiGiorgio, Scott Clendenin; Every single person on stage tonight was above par.

Zombie Ritual
Leprosy
Within the Mind
Torn to Pieces
Left to Die
Suicide Machine
Lack of Comprehension
Flattening of Emotions
Secret Face
The Philosopher
Trapped In a Corner
Overactive Imagination
Bite the Pain
Zero Tolerance
1,000 Eyes
Crystal Mountain
Flesh and the Power it Holds
SPIRIT CRUSHER
SCAVENGER OF HUMAN SORROW

Symbolic
A Moment of Clarity
---
Voice of the Soul
Living Monstrosity
Pull the Plug

The 2 songs in bold were not played at any other show on the tour. They were also both played with Richard Christy and Alex Skolnick.

The vocals (and 3rd guitars) in Spirit Crusher and Scavenger were also provided by someone who could only be Chuck's nephew. There's literally no other explanation for who that guy was. He both LOOKED and SOUNDED exactly like Chuck. It was frightening.

I'll upload some pictures later.... maybe.....
6/24 Primus

Last edited by Polock91; 06-29-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:19 AM
Altars of Radness

That's awesome they pulled out those songs, and without even cutting other stuff! Did you notice any cameras? They were supposedly filming this show.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:26 AM
brotuhl

I don't remember seeing any. They might've just been set up on the balconies. There weren't any directly in front of the stage, or anything like that.

Those 2 songs were sick. I was so upset to find out they weren't doing Scavenger. Then they played with all the living members of Sound of Perseverance. Richard Christy, Scott Clendenin, and Shannon Hamm were all on stage for those 2, plus Chuck's nephew and Alex Skolnick. Pretty much the closest thing to a SOP reunion anyone will ever see.
6/24 Primus

Last edited by Polock91; 06-29-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:35 AM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polock91 View Post
SPIRIT CRUSHER
SCAVENGER OF HUMAN SORROW

The 2 songs in bold were not played at any other show on the tour. They were also both played with Richard Christy and Alex Skolnick.

The vocals (and 3rd guitars) in Spirit Crusher and Scavenger were also provided by someone who could only be Chuck's nephew. There's literally no other explanation for who that guy was. He both LOOKED and SOUNDED exactly like Chuck. It was frightening.
I FUCKING CALLED THAT SHIT. But congrats on getting those songs dude, as amazing of a drummer Gene is, Richard Christy is the only drummer who could ever really nail those two, especially Scavenger. And interesting to hear about Chris Steele possibly singing those songs. Apparently this is the only show of the tour that was professionally filmed, so hopefully we'll get to hear him on a DVD soon enough.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:00 AM
brotuhl

Upon further research, it was NOT Chris Steele. I still have no idea who this guy is.

Second from the left in the Leprosy shirt.

6/24 Primus
Old 06-29-2012, 03:30 AM

Show was awesome and hot as fuck. I didn't notice any cameras at all so I'm not sure if they filmed it.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:54 AM
D.B.B.

You guts are sooooo lucky
Old 06-29-2012, 06:58 AM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjturtle9 View Post
You guts are sooooo lucky
How I feel. Spirit Crusher is probably my favorite Death song. Scavenger would have also been the tits. I'm glad somebody got to see them though.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:57 AM
N00B

Ohhhh i hope they play SOHS and Spirit Crusher in Orlando, i mean they should since Christy will be there.

Also, Chuck Billy wasn't there? i thought he and alex were both guest appearances.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:34 AM
N00B

I think I'll be an asshole and post that I saw Death in 1997, and Chuck signed my copy of Sound of Perserverance.

Tags
death, death to all, gorguts