Skid Row -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 20th, 2014
The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 06-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Optic

Iron Maiden -- Wantagh, NY -- June 27th, 2012

What a great show! I've seen Maiden twice before, and given that it's been a couple of months since my last show, I was really looking forward to this.

Alice Cooper hit the stage at 7:30. While I feel like it would've been so much better to see him later, when it was dark, his show was awesome. His whole band has great presence, not to mention chops. This was a great package. Two triple guitar bands in one night!

Setlist was the same as MA.

After a half hour or so, "Doctor Doctor" starts to play and immediately the crowd was getting pumped. When the stage exploded as the band came out with "Moonchild", the cheers were so loud that for a second or two I couldn't hear the band.

As it turns out, it wasn't the crowd as much as it was a rather poor mix. Steve Harris's bass was virtually inaudible during most of the show. All 3 guitars were extremely muddy at many points, and the drums were essentially just bass and snare with the other drums being drowned out. This persisted through the entire show.

It might be in part due to the wind blowing the speakers back and forth, but the absence of bass at a maiden gig was really bothersome to me. The muddiness would come and go, however.

Despite this, the band played amazingly and the show was fantastic on their behalf. I will say, though, Bruce looked like he was a bit frustrated with our crowd. On multiple "Scream for Me" moments, it seemed like maybe a quarter of the crowd even reacted. Bruce would call us out and try to pump us up, but it seemed like a lot of his efforts were lost on the crowd.

I don't think it was a bad crowd, honestly, because between songs, before and after the show, people were going crazy. I think that the bad sound made it really hard for people to understand Bruce's banter, especially during songs, so people just didn't know what he was trying to do.

One great crowd moment: Bruce says, "We're playing in New Jersey on Monday and--" immediately cut off by almost the entire audience booing. This happened every time he said "New Jersey". It was really funny.

The set was, as you probably guessed, the same, and by the same, I mean it was phenomenal. No complaints about the choice of songs. Bruce, though not without some flaws, sang amazingly and continues to prove that at 53 he is a better singer, and showman than most can ever hope to be.

I give the show an 8/10. This could have been one of the best shows I've ever been to given the set and the band's energy, but the sound problems destroyed that, to be honest. If I'm at an Iron Maiden show and I have to struggle to hear Steve Harris, that's unacceptable as far as I'm concerned.

Don't miss this one!!

http://www.facebook.com/Opticbandus
Old 06-28-2012, 12:02 PM
not the mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelessbard View Post
One great crowd moment: Bruce says, "We're playing in New Jersey on Monday and--" immediately cut off by almost the entire audience booing. This happened every time he said "New Jersey". It was really funny.
"DEVILS SUCK"
Old 06-28-2012, 12:14 PM
N00B

exclusive shirts

Hey, does anyone know if they had exclusive shirts. Last tour some States had exclusive shirt. Like Texas had their own concert shirt. Was there a NY shirt Maiden shirt?
Old 06-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IRON-MAIDEN-...item1c289ef78a
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 06-28-2012, 12:46 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelessbard View Post
Steve Harris's bass was virtually inaudible during most of the show.

UNHEARD OF
Old 06-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

I actually heard a rumor that Sancutary, Infinite Dreams and Hallowed Be Thy name got swapped back in. Guess not.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
"This highly collectable tshirt is a must have for any Maiden fan!!!"
Old 06-28-2012, 01:56 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredFlame View Post
"DEVILS SUCK"
I agree, but btw they play NJ tommorow too(they just call it Philly because were across the river)
Slayer/Suicidal/Exodus
Living Colour
Old 06-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
I actually heard a rumor that Sancutary, Infinite Dreams and Hallowed Be Thy name got swapped back in. Guess not.
Where did you hear that? Nicko said in an interview that the reason Hallowed isn't being played is because the original set they wrote was too demanding for Bruce to sing every night. They dropped it because of that and it was implied that they dropped Infinite for ATSS strangers becuse of that to.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:18 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

The sound/crowd were the worst I've seen at a Maiden show to be honest. Despite that, the performance was absolutely phenomenal and the setlist flows much better in practice than on paper.

Tags
alice cooper, iron maiden