Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 06-28-2011, 05:14 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Graspop Metal Meeting - A Review

This was a great weekend. Myself, and 6 buddies, two girls and four guys, started our journey early Thursday morning to this festival. We are all returning parties 'cept for the two girls. It was a great weekend of banter and good times, certainly one to be remembered. The journey takes around 6 hours from Dublin airport to the festival, which is pretty sweet, and is full of great sights to behold, like Antwerp train station.

I seen about 3/4 of the bands I meant to see, which is about right for a festival with such a full line up. I will only post setlists from bands I've seen all most all of in person. The list of these in full is: Protest The Hero, Dio Disciples, Black Dahlia Murder, Foreigner, Journey, Korn, Duff McKagans Loaded, Lacuna Coil, Firewind, Black Label Society, Times Of Grace, Arch Enemy, Whitesnake, Judas Priest, Anvil, Kreator, Mastodon, Avenged Sevenfold, Rob Zombie, Slipknot.

Most of these were great and worth seeing, some not so much. Good haul of signings too, I managed to meet: Black Dahlia Murder, Duff McKagan's Loaded, Dublin Death Patrol (Steve Souza, Chuck Billy!), Anvil, Times Of Grace (I won a meet and greet with them, more on that later). All were very nice guys to meet. I will do my review by day and rate each band out of 5, enjoy!

Thursday was just a party day, we got some beers, chilled in the campsite, then went to the metaldome to party! We stayed there until about midnight, just moshing, drinking beers and having some fun. I got punched in the throat during War Ensemble, it was fun!!

Friday:

Protest The Hero (3/5)
These guys were a great way to start off the festival. Tight as hell and very fun to hear Rodys between songs banter. Perfect performances musically, but boring to watch during songs, but considering how technical the music is, they can be forgiven for such a thing.

Setlist:
C'est la Vie
Bone Marrow
Tapestry
Wretch
Dunsel
Blindfolds Aside
The Reign of Unending Terror
Sequoia Throne
Bloodmeat
Sex Tapes

Dio Disciples (3/5)

Awesome tribute to Dio, but absolutely STANK of a cash in for the artists involved. I enjoyed them, and the setlist was good, but it just felt like a cash in on his legacy considering its so soon after it.

Setlist:
Stand Up and Shout
Holy Diver
Egypt (The Chains Are On)
Catch the Rainbow / Stargazer
Neon Knights
Long Live Rock 'n' Roll
Heaven and Hell
We Rock

Black Dahlia Murder (4/5)

One of my most awaited bands of the festivals, BDM were the first band I really enjoyed. They were tight as hell and a great band to watch, and their songs translated incredibly well to the live setting. The singer was constantly asking for weed, even at their signing, it was very funny. Also, props for the Star Wars knuckle tattoo!

Setlist:
A Shrine To Madness
Everything Went Black
A Vulgar Picture
Nocturnal
Moonlight Equilibrium
Malenchantments Of The Necrosphere
Statutory Ape
Necropolis
What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Deathmask Divine
Miasma
I Will Return
Funeral Thirst
Blood In The Ink

Journey (4/5)

After some shopping, and half watching Foreigner, we checked out Journey. They were on great form, not quite as good as 2009, but still top notch. They di all the hits, and thats all you want really as a casual fan. Good stuff.

Setlist:
Separate Ways
Ask the Lonely
City Of Hope
Stone In Love
Edge Of The Moment
Light
Escape
Wheel In The Sky
Be Good To Yourself
Faithfully
Don't Stop Believin'
Any Way You Want It

Korn (5/5)

Top class performance from these guys. Always been one of my favorite bands, and this performance solidified that. Great setlist, and the crowd were going nuts. Just a lot of fun to watch, and they played a for a very solid hour, they packed alot into it.

Setlist:
Blind
Here To Stay
Pop A Pill
Freak On A Leash (with a bit of Breathe)
Shoots And Ladders/One
Got The Life
Oildale (Leave Me Alone)
Somebody, Someone
Get Up
Falling Away From Me
Coming Undone/We Will Rock You/Twisted Transistor/Make Me Bad/Thoughtless/Did My Time/Clown
Y'all Want A Single

Duff McKagan's Loaded (4/5)

These guys were great, and if I was udging them purely on the G 'n' R tunes, it would be 5 easily, but I didn't know the Loaded tunes, and as such it goes down one for me not doing my research. They were great though, lots of interaction, and really tight. Duff is a great frontman, lots of love for the crowd, and really made you forget where you were while watching them. They went way over time, but it was very worth it, Dust N Bones was AMAZING live. Top class way to end the first day.

Setlist:
Executioner's Song
We Win
Dead Skin
Sleaze Factory
Dark Days
Cocaine
So Fine (G N R Cover)
Indian Summer
Sick
Follow Me To Hell
Your Name
Lords Of Abbadon
Dust N' Bones (G N R Cover)
Attitude (Misfits Cover)
It's So Easy (G N R Cover)

After that, we watched Iced Earth from outside while eating ice cream and having a laugh. The marquee was too crowded and none of us were huge fans, but it was cool to check them out casually and enjoy the singers last concert at Graspop. The Scorpions sucked, we left early to sleep as they were completely un-captivating.

All in all, a very fun first day, laid back, not much moshing or anything for today. This all changed for the rest of the weekend. I will post day two tomorrow!
Old 06-28-2011, 06:20 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Great review! Like I said on BrutalDescent's setlist, that's an incredible Black Dahlia Murder set. So jealous.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:10 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Sorry this is late, personal life has been a little hectic the last few weeks!

Saturday:

Today did not start off well with the news that Ozzy had to cancel, but we were getting an extended Judas Priest setlist, which would soon prove to be one of the best sets of the festival!

Lacuna Coil (3/5)
We went to see these guys purely for the point of seeing Our Truth and Enjoy The Silence live. They put on an okay performance, purely okay. Bad sound and bad weather really just let them down. Under better circumstances, I can imagine them being amazing live.

Setlist:
Underdog
I Won't Tell You
Fragments of Faith
To The Edge
I'm Not Afraid
Heaven's A Lie
Enjoy the Silence (Depeche Mode cover)
Fragile
Survive
Spellbound
Our Truth

Firewind (3/5)

Next up were Firewind, or the Gus G consolation prize for those of us who weren't fans. They were good, not great, but they did their jobs well. I am not a power metal fan, as such their songs just didn't do anything for me, however, their keyboard player and Gus G were seriously amazing players to watch. I respect their talent, I just don't like the music.

Setlist:
Head Up High
World on Fire
The Fire And The Fury
Mercenary Man
Falling To Pieces

After Firewind, I skipped Triptykon to get backstage to meet and greet Times of Grace, I stand by my choice The guys in Times of Grace were awesome, got some cool insights into their inspiration for their record and some of the older KsE stuff, and found out they were planning a proper big headlining run next year!

Black Label Society (4/5)
Yeah, these guys do bog standard setlists, yeah Zakk likes to really highlight his guitar playing ability, but by god they do these things very well. Awesome, fun as hell set from these guys, and it was amazing just to watch one of my biggest inspirations as a teenager play guitar and put on a quality performance. Me and my gang thoroughly enjoyed this set, BLS haters be damned!

Setlist:
Crazy Horse
Funeral Bell
Bleed for Me
Overlord
Parade of the Dead
Fire it Up
Godspeed Hell Bound
Concrete Jungle
Stillborn

Times of Grace (4/5)
I had to run to catch of these guys set, but it was worth it. Few sound issues little marred a very enthusiastic set from these re-invented metalcore titans. Jesse was great live, and very inspirational in his speeches about suicide and about why the record was made and the lyrics held within. Adam was, well, Adam, but dressed normally They acted like this was their first ever tour as a band, and having had listened to the record for a couple of months at the time of the set, and having thusly heard alot of it live, I can say these songs have a very different feel to the KsE stuff these guys did together. Live, the songs just wouldn't sit right together.

Setlist (Incomplete):
Strength In Numbers
Willing
Hope Remains
Hymn Of A Broken Man

Arch Enemy (4/5)
The marquee was PACKED, so half this setlist was spent with me and my buddy making our way towards the pit near the front. The crowd LOVED these guys, and I can't blame them. They are tight live, and really exude an infectious energy. Angela was demonic on that stage, being flanked by the band who were tight as nails, they were in their element, and so was the crowd. Good stuff. Also, the crowd was a WARZONE for Nemesis and We Will Rise, bodies everywhere. It was fucking FUN.

Setlist:
Khaos Overture (Intro)
Yesterday is Dead and Gone
Revolution Begins
Ravenous
My Apocalypse
Bloodstained Cross
Dead Eyes See No Future
Under Black Flags We March
No Gods, No Masters
We Will Rise
Nemesis
Fields of Desolation

Whitesnake (4/5)
I'm not a huge fan of these seasoned rockers, but they know how to perform and entertain a crowd. Great, minimalist show, with all the classics you wanna hear from them. Doug Aldrich is a serious guitar player, and between the little solos and doodles throughout the set, I could not keep my eyes off him. David Coverdale is a very endearing frontman as well, and has a great live voice.

Setlist:
My Generation (The Who - Intro)
Best Years
Give Me All Your Love
Love Ain't No Stranger
Is This Love
Steal Your Heart Away
Forevermore
Guitar Duel
Love Will Set You Free
Drum Solo
Slide It In
Fool For Your Lovin'
Here I Go Again
Still Of The Night
We Wish You Well (Outro)

Judas Priest (5/5)
Then came the set we were all waiting for, the almighty JUDAS FUCKING PRIEST. They really did not disappoint, KK or not. Amazing setlist, with everything I wanted to hear, including my favorite song, the fucking SENTINEL. The replacement, Richie, was a great show man, and the dude can shred the part no sweat. Really, this an emotional heavy metal rollercoaster of a set, shedding a tear during Beyond The Realms of Death, to moshing for Painkiller, to Rob Halford letting the crowd sing all of Breaking The Law, it was an immense set, and something truly amazing as a metal fan to witness. I got serious goosebumps when, during the outro for You've Got Another Thing Coming, Rob Halford shouts 'If you think heavy metal will ever die, YOU'VE GOT ANOTHER THING COMING!'.

Setlist:
War Pigs/Battle Hymn (Intro)
Rapid Fire
Metal Gods
Heading Out to the Highway
Judas Rising
Starbreaker
Victim of Changes
Never Satisfied
Dawn of Creation
Prophecy
Night Crawler
Turbo Lover
Beyond the Realms of Death
The Sentinel
Blood Red Skies
The Green Manalishi (With the Two-Pronged Crowd)
Breaking the Law
Painkiller

Encore:
The Hellion
Electric Eye

Encore 2:
Hell Bent for Leather
You've Got Another Thing Comin' (w/ Richie Faulkner Guitar Solo)

Encore 3:
Living After Midnight

Thus brought Day 2 to an end. I was destroyed, so after getting some supper in the lounge area and some post concert discussion, we went back to our tents to get some sleep for the next day and SLIPKNOT.

I will post Day 3 this evening, sorry for the delays once again!

R.I.P Judas Priest, enjoy your retirement from touring, you have earned it!

Last edited by Dextrimental; 07-15-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:20 AM
Custom User Title

YOU SKIPPED TRIPTYKON?
Old 06-26-2012, 05:15 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Finally going to finish this mother-fucker before I start my 2012 review!!

I remember this last day having a big buzz about it, because we were getting Slipknot and Rob Zombie today, and we were going to meet Dublin Death Patrol, which had us all very excited!

Also, not bothered with setlists, it was a festival, they were all very standard and the Slipknot is old news now!

Anvil (3/5)

These guys... I want to like them because of how hard they're trying, but they really were out of their depth on the main-stage, and really, twice was more than enough for me and my friends. The first time was great fun, but after that they show their age, and the songs just aren't there. Sorry Lips, maybe someday!

Kreator (4/5)

Watched them from the side of the stage as we were meeting Dublin Death Patrol. These dudes are TIGHT. Proper good old school thrash, they really got the crowd going. As much as I enjoyed them on the main-stage,it made me wanna see them in a smaller venue, as I imagine that's where they truly shine!

Mastodon (5/5)

I've never seen these guys do a bad show, I guess I've just been lucky with that! They were awesome here, and really seemed to be enjoying themselves. The setlist was Blood Mountain heavy, but that's hardly a bad thing!

Avenged Sevenfold (5/5)

They played A Little Piece Of Heaven. I could not have been happier!

Rob Zombie (5/5)

His set was one big party, lots of singing along and just generally being fun. He's a great performer, I really hope he tours Europe again sometime soon, I'd love to see him indoors. He got a bunch of women up onstage for one of the last songs, it was great fun altogether! John 5 of course destroyed on lead guitar, definitely a player who deserves more recognition!

Slipknot (6/6)

Flawless insanity. Funny story, after (sic) the crowd were just non-stop going NUTS, and this dude was crowd-surfing our direction, so we braced for impact before noticing that was, in fact, naked. I back away, and he drops head first between me and my buddies. He had a flannel shirt tied around his waist and was holding a big voodoo stick, and that was it, we all seen a bit too much ball sack, and my poor buddy had to help him up to surf out. I hope that dude survived ok. Corwd surfed myself a couple of times because of how dense the crowd was. Epic set altogether, as usual from the 'Knot!

Great year overall, crossed a LOT off my must-see list. Good shit!!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:24 AM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissimulate View Post
YOU SKIPPED TRIPTYKON?
Unacceptable.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:19 PM
The <_> Badge of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post
Unacceptable.
Str8 up. And Kyuss (Lives).

SO WHAT YOU'RE SAYING IS THAT YOU WASTED A TRIP?
6/28 - Warped Tour
6/30 - Puscifer
Old 06-27-2012, 01:24 PM
Metal Setlists Elitist Committee

I like how you guys are giving him shit for missing a band last year
12/20 Cormorant/Wildhunt
1/2 Pity Sex/Whirr
Old 06-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggz View Post
Str8 up. And Kyuss (Lives).

SO WHAT YOU'RE SAYING IS THAT YOU WASTED A TRIP?
Kyuss played this year, Triptykon played last year.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 06-27-2012, 02:25 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal_descent View Post
Kyuss played this year, Triptykon played last year.
This! Backstage meet and greet > Triptykon playing a festival setlist. Much rather a headline show.

Which I have, in two weeks. In a bar that fits around 300 people.