Judas Priest -- Rochester, NY -- October 1st, 2014
Fleetwood Mac -- Minneapolis, MN -- September 30th, 2014
The Story So Far -- Lawrence, KS -- September 30th, 2014
Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014

Old 06-24-2012, 08:25 AM
N00B

Dream Theater -- Chicago, IL -- June 23rd, 2012

Dream Theater were high on my list of bands that I wanted to see live. I'm glad yesterday happened to be the date the concert fell on as I was envious that my best friend and her boyfriend were in St. Paul, MN seeing Tool, another band that is very high on my list of bands I want to see live, at River's Edge Music Festival.

My mom drove down to Chicago and attended the show with me. I go to many shows with her because of my fear of driving and because she's the most unbiased concertgoer I know.

Anyway, on to my actual review. Crimson ProjeKct was the opening band and played a 47 minute set from 7:25-8:11. I don't know the setlist, as I haven't listened to any King Crimson albums. But, I was glad to see them live as Adrian Belew was in the band and I love his work with Frank Zappa, his work on the David Bowie album Lodger, and his guest appearances on three Nine Inch Nails albums.

Dream Theater (8:39-10:46)-
Bridges In The Sky
6:00
The Dark Eternal Night
This Is The Life
The Root Of All Evil
Lost Not Forgotten
A Fortune In Lies
Surrounded
On The Backs Of Angels
War Inside My Head
The Test That Stumped Them All
The Spirit Carries On
Breaking All Illusions

ENCORE:
Metropolis, Pt. 1: The Miracle And The Sleeper

^ Great show with virtuoso musicianship. I was just stoked that they kept my all time favorite DT song Metropolis, Pt. 1 as the closer since the beginning of this US Leg of the tour. The segue from On The Back Of Angels into the War Inside My Head/The Test That Stumped Them All was incredible too. James LaBrie sounded great on A Fortune In Lies too, will have to get the When Dream And Day Reunite official bootleg when I have more money so I can see him sing more of the Charlie Dominici era songs.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:30 PM
Concert Veteran

How was the attendance for the show? I've been reading some reviews where people are saying that their shows are drawing less than the band used to in the past. Last Sunday when I saw them about 1,000 people were there in a venue that fits around 3,000 or so.

It seems that they're also getting booked to play some bigger amphitheater venues this summer that fit like 5 or 6 thousand each. I'm not sure why the promoters would do that since at no point in the bands history have they ever been able to fill venues of that size on their own. I wonder if Portnoy not being the spokesman for the band is affecting ticket sales in some places or fans in general are just losing a bit of interest in the band?
Old 06-24-2012, 06:45 PM

The interest is still there.
There are just WAY too many tours happening at the same time this year.

Last year, they sold out the Orpheum in Boston back in October, which holds 2,700. Not many tours were happening at the same time then.

This summer everybody is on the road. Just checked Ticketmaster. They're playing the Bank of America Pavilion in Boston on July 16th. Holds 5,000 people. Not even halfway sold out yet.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:34 PM
When will Jesus bring the pork chops?

Good review. Saw them last week when they came through here. I feel the same about them live. The musicianship is outstanding. Thats why theyre one of my favorite bands. Glad that they kept Metropolis. Great song live. Your mom is cool to take you to shows. My dad used to drive me, my brother and our friends around back when we didn't drive yet. He liked our shows too.

As for the weak attendance in some places, I dont think its lack of intetest because DT has a pretty dedicated fan base. Although fans do come and go. I think it has,more of what PVH is saying with a lot of shows happening at once. Add to that the economy being in the shitter right now. Folks aint got the cash.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:34 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
How was the attendance for the show? I've been reading some reviews where people are saying that their shows are drawing less than the band used to in the past. Last Sunday when I saw them about 1,000 people were there in a venue that fits around 3,000 or so.

It seems that they're also getting booked to play some bigger amphitheater venues this summer that fit like 5 or 6 thousand each. I'm not sure why the promoters would do that since at no point in the bands history have they ever been able to fill venues of that size on their own. I wonder if Portnoy not being the spokesman for the band is affecting ticket sales in some places or fans in general are just losing a bit of interest in the band?
Sometimes bands want to play outside and/or promoters just stick them outside since its summertime, and unfortunately most outdoor amphitheaters are “arena” sized, even if the band’s playing them don’t draw that large of an audience.

The emptiest amphitheater show I ever saw had to be Black Sabbath with Tony Martin in 1995. They played the First Midwest Bank Amphitheater (then called the New World Music Theater) in suburban Chicago (Tinley Park to be exact). The amphitheater holds 28,000 and there couldn’t have been more than 2,000-3,000 people there … it was totally empty. Since then they have built the smaller Charter One Pavilion, but at the time the FMBA was just about the only place to play outside and I guess either the band or the promoter really wanted the show outside. Either way, it was very disheartening to see the show in such an empty venue.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:03 AM
N00B

Another factor may be that fewer people are going to multiple shows.

From 2005 to 2009, I would attend two or three Dream Theater shows every year. This made sense because the tickets were not very expensive ($45 to $55), and they changed the setlist every night.

In 2011 and 2012, tickets are considerably more expensive ($70 to $80), and the setlist does not change every night. So there's no reason for me to go to more than 1 show.

Tags
dream theater