Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Ghost -- Boulder, CO -- April 23rd, 2014
Gideon -- Toledo, OH -- April 22nd, 2014
Queensryche -- Uncasville, CT -- April 19th, 2014
Scott Stapp -- London, England -- April 23rd, 2014
Megadeth -- Quito, Ecuador -- April 22nd, 2014

  #171  
Old 06-21-2012, 11:21 AM
smearCampaign's Avatar
smearCampaign smearCampaign is online now
...the dead are among us!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: austin, tx
Posts: 1,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tasaurus View Post
wtf, how come I'm just hearing about this band now? I don't recall any discussion about them on this site or elsewhere. It's excellent
Their previous album Hellsworn is really solid too.
__________________
4/24 - Godflesh
5/10 - Disma
5/18 - Deathhammer
5/23 - St. Vitus
5/28 - Pseudogod / Wrathprayer
5/29 - Floor
6/27 - DFHVN / Pallbearer
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 06-21-2012, 11:26 AM
w00tasaurus w00tasaurus is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by smearCampaign View Post
Their previous album Hellsworn is really solid too.
thanks, I'll check it out!
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 06-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Natrlhi's Avatar
Natrlhi Natrlhi is offline
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 7,541

41. Death Grips - Ex-Military

Not that anyone was previously aware of this, but I have been a selective fan of rap music since I discovered an outfit called N.W.A. during my freshman year at college. Over the years, I have enjoyed the lyrical and rhythmic stylings of such various artists as Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Cypress Hill, Ice T, Public Enemy, Geto Boys and many others. In short, I have heard lots of rap music. I havenít dug every single thing Iíve heard, but I would definitely say Iíve liked a variety of different styles. However, when a bunch of folks on this forum started making a big deal about this group / album last year, I decided to check it out. All I can say is, I donít think Iíve ever heard anything like it Ė and thatís saying a lot. I mean, this definitely isnít the first time electric guitars have been used in rap before (Body Count did it decades ago), but never before have I heard them featured quite like this. Plus, the rhymes are sick, the beats are infectious, the lyrics are insane but compelling, the samples are extremely well-placed and used to excellent effect (I heard both The Prodigy and Beastie Boys in the one track, and Pet Shop Boys in another!), and the heavy inclinations towards an electronic-inspired sound are all welcome departures from typical rap music. In short, this music is definitely a breath of fresh air in a genre which has become somewhat stagnated with scads of wannabes and sound-alikes. These cats are innovators Ė blazing new territory with confidence and fierce determination Ė and the result of their collective passion is one of the most interesting albums Iíve heard in any genre for quite some time.
__________________
4/24 Behemoth OR 4/26 IntrOnaut/Cloudkicker/ITTCT (?)
5/9 Mastodon/Gojira/Kvelertak (?)
6/15 MESHUGGAH (?)
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 06-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Natrlhi's Avatar
Natrlhi Natrlhi is offline
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 7,541
Some hints for the next batch:

#40 contains what might be the longest individual song recorded by a metal (or any?) artist last year.

#39 blackened post-metal, anyone?

#38 is a fresh-sounding death metal album by a band who hasn't stood out from the crowd for me...until now.

#37 is another death metal album that, while being very similar to the band's previous work, is still ridiculously good in spite of its predictability (which isn't always a bad thing).

#36 is a fresh-sounding stoner metal album by a band who hasn't stood out from the crowd for me...until now.
__________________
4/24 Behemoth OR 4/26 IntrOnaut/Cloudkicker/ITTCT (?)
5/9 Mastodon/Gojira/Kvelertak (?)
6/15 MESHUGGAH (?)
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 06-21-2012, 02:26 PM
w00tasaurus w00tasaurus is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
#40 contains what might be the longest individual song recorded by a metal (or any?) artist last year.

#36 is a fresh-sounding stoner metal album by a band who hasn't stood out from the crowd for me...until now.
40: Mournful Congregation
36: Giant Squid

Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 06-21-2012, 02:56 PM
smearCampaign's Avatar
smearCampaign smearCampaign is online now
...the dead are among us!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: austin, tx
Posts: 1,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
#37 is another death metal album that, while being very similar to the band's previous work, is still ridiculously good in spite of its predictability (which isn't always a bad thing).
Vader?
__________________
4/24 - Godflesh
5/10 - Disma
5/18 - Deathhammer
5/23 - St. Vitus
5/28 - Pseudogod / Wrathprayer
5/29 - Floor
6/27 - DFHVN / Pallbearer
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 06-21-2012, 10:09 PM
kalfitegrdan's Avatar
kalfitegrdan kalfitegrdan is online now
Four graves...
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: DeKalb, IL
Posts: 3,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Not that anyone was previously aware of this, but I have been a selective fan of rap music since I discovered an outfit called N.W.A. during my freshman year at college. Over the years, I have enjoyed the lyrical and rhythmic stylings of such various artists as Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Cypress Hill, Ice T, Public Enemy, Geto Boys and many others. In short, I have heard lots of rap music. I havenít dug every single thing Iíve heard, but I would definitely say Iíve liked a variety of different styles. However, when a bunch of folks on this forum started making a big deal about this group / album last year, I decided to check it out. All I can say is, I donít think Iíve ever heard anything like it Ė and thatís saying a lot. I mean, this definitely isnít the first time electric guitars have been used in rap before (Body Count did it decades ago), but never before have I heard them featured quite like this. Plus, the rhymes are sick, the beats are infectious, the lyrics are insane but compelling, the samples are extremely well-placed and used to excellent effect (I heard both The Prodigy and Beastie Boys in the one track, and Pet Shop Boys in another!), and the heavy inclinations towards an electronic-inspired sound are all welcome departures from typical rap music. In short, this music is definitely a breath of fresh air in a genre which has become somewhat stagnated with scads of wannabes and sound-alikes. These cats are innovators Ė blazing new territory with confidence and fierce determination Ė and the result of their collective passion is one of the most interesting albums Iíve heard in any genre for quite some time.
Really? Recommended tracks? I listened to that Guillotine song and hated it.
__________________
4/25 Behemoth
4/26 Possessed ?
4/27 Iron Reagan ?
5/3 Chthonic ?
5/3 Sadistic Intent
5/14 Deathhammer
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 06-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Natrlhi's Avatar
Natrlhi Natrlhi is offline
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 7,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tasaurus View Post
40: Mournful Congregation
VERY good guess, but no. The track I'm referring to is actually about five minutes longer than that one. Also, I don't really listen to Mournful Congregation (no particular reason, I just haven't checked them out).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
#36 is a fresh-sounding stoner metal album by a band who hasn't stood out from the crowd for me...until now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tasaurus View Post
36: Giant Squid
Ummm...have you looked at my avatar (which hasn't changed in about three years)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smearCampaign View Post
Vader?


Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
Really? Recommended tracks? I listened to that Guillotine song and hated it.
I like pretty much all of it, but I suppose I'd have to say tracks 1, 3, 4, 7, 9, 11 and 12 are among my favorites.
__________________
4/24 Behemoth OR 4/26 IntrOnaut/Cloudkicker/ITTCT (?)
5/9 Mastodon/Gojira/Kvelertak (?)
6/15 MESHUGGAH (?)
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 06-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Natrlhi's Avatar
Natrlhi Natrlhi is offline
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 7,541

40. U.S. Christmas - The Valley Path

According to the band's page on the web site of their current label (Neurot Recordings): "U.S. Christmas is a band from the Appalachian mountains in western North Carolina and eastern Tennessee. The band plays a unique brand of psychedelic, high-volume blues rock that evades any easy classification." I concur. The closest comparison I can make is to sludgy post-metal acts such as Yakuza or Minsk (incidentally, frontman Nate Hall - if indeed this collective actually has a frontperson per se - was wearing a Minsk shirt when I saw them opening for Baroness in 2009). This particular recording from USX, as they are known by their fans, is comprised of a single track which is almost forty minutes long (which in turn consists of approximately five different "movements"). It's tempting to call it an EP, but technically I believe it is considered to be a full-length album. Either way, the epic track is said to be inspired by a concept which was conceived by one of the album's songwriters (I forget who it was, but I read it in an interview somewhere), who said he was sitting on his porch looking across the road at the forest and thinking about what it would sound like if they could write an album that would capture the essence of what was going on inside that forest...or something like that. All I know is that the concept was deep, and indeed, the track sounds like it was inspired by events which were slow-moving, expansive and ancient. The mournful violin of Meghan Mulhearn can often be heard deftly accenting the multitude of guitars and drums that repetitively drive the music. The whole thing just drags the listener in, inducing an almost trance-like state. It's just fantastic stuff. One word of caution, though - this is not an album that can be taken in small doses. It must be experienced in its entirety, if the full effect is to be understood. This isn't something you put on in your car while you're driving to the store. This isn't workout music. You're not going to hear this at a house party (I don't care how "metal" the party is). This is headphone music. This is music that is best enjoyed during downtime, or whilst doing something repetitive that requires little to no focus (like writing a music review, for example ). All this being said, even though this album may be somewhat challenging, it is also extremely rewarding.
__________________
4/24 Behemoth OR 4/26 IntrOnaut/Cloudkicker/ITTCT (?)
5/9 Mastodon/Gojira/Kvelertak (?)
6/15 MESHUGGAH (?)
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 06-26-2012, 12:49 PM
mastodon421's Avatar
mastodon421 mastodon421 is offline
Not popular in Buffalo
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Swampscott,Massachusetts
Posts: 6,431
If you thought Exmillitary was good, check out The Money Store ASAP (If you haven't already). Blows Exmillitary out of the water and hopefully their second album of this year will be just as good.
__________________
5/3 letlive.
5/16 Mastodon
6/21 Fall Out Boy
7/22 Converge

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:40 AM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008