Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014
Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014
Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014
Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014

Old 06-08-2012, 05:43 PM
I know the songs you're singing saying nothing loud and clear I've heard that song a thousand times

Prometheus

I just saw Prometheus today, I thought it was great and by the end it almost sets itself up for a sequel. Anybody else saw it??
7/24 - NIN/Soundgarden
8/28 - Linkin Park
Old 06-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Bringer of Darkness

It was fantastic. Micheal Fassbender and Noomi Rapace stole the movie. The scene with Noomi on the table was the highlight of the whole movie. The last scene of the movie was perfect too. The 3D was amazing. This was easily Scott's best movie in years.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:40 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Good, not great. Need to see it again to form a proper opinion.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:56 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

I saw it today but I got a few questions, since I'm not too big on the Aliens mythos.

1. Didn't the crew in the original Alien find the Space Jockys corpse in the control pod of the ship?
2. Why did that one guy turn into a sort-of contortionist mutant?
3. Am I to believe that the Alien at the end is a queen?

Overall I thought it was a really good movie. I loved the imagry inside the ship (I love H.R. Giegor). It did seem a little cut short to me. It felt like it was just starting to get going when it ended. I could've sat through another hour, that's the sign of a good movie.
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains
12/06 - the Music of Final Fantasy
Old 06-09-2012, 05:40 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I saw it today but I got a few questions, since I'm not too big on the Aliens mythos.

1. Didn't the crew in the original Alien find the Space Jockys corpse in the control pod of the ship?

Overall I thought it was a really good movie. I loved the imagry inside the ship (I love H.R. Giegor). It did seem a little cut short to me. It felt like it was just starting to get going when it ended. I could've sat through another hour, that's the sign of a good movie.

They were on a different planet, Prometheus is set on LV 233, Alien/Aliens is LV 426. Promethus basically tells us they have several planets in a system of sorts.

The stuff we see in Prometheus is a mutagenic weapon created by the engineers. From what I gathered, it reacts different with every system, and mutates with each systems and grows.

No, that was merely to show the birth of the Xenomorphs. It could be a queen, and it probably more than likely is, but I think it was just to show us that the mutagen had reached the beginning of the Xenomorph species.

Essentially, I'd explain what we see in the film like this:

>Engineers create mutagen, a weapon.
>They intend to use it to destroy Earth, though I believe we were created as a means for them create a huge army by combining us with the mutagen.
>Lose control of the mutagen, kills most of the engineers on LV 233, the only planet we have fully accounted for.
>One engineers survives in cryo-sleep in a separate, safer part of the ship.
>Active mutagen is locked in a fail-safe room which is unlocked by the humans.
>Whole plot is discovered, Prometheus movie ensues.

That's what I gathered from everything in the movies anyway, could very wide of the mark, but I think I'm about right! Hope it helps dude!
Old 06-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Now I am become Death. The destroyer of worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
Good, not great. Need to see it again to form a proper opinion.
Pretty much exactly how I feel. I enjoyed it for the most part, and it's worth the money to see in the theater just because it's a beautiful movie.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

I really enjoyed it, though it certainly has flaws. I'm reserving final judgment, though, because Scott says the DVD/Blu-Ray is going to have 20-30 minutes added on.

It may not be a strict prequel in the sense that the events don't lead directly to the events of Alien, but it adds a lot to that mythology. And I'm okay with what a lot of people are calling "plot holes," because I think this is a franchise that benefits from some things being a mystery.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:29 PM
That Guy

I liked it. A lot of people are bitching about it. But I enjoyed it.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:31 PM
The time has come for all to see the men behind the curtain cast into disease

Saw it in IMAX 3D. Holy shit. The scene where Shaw had to get the alien-baby out of her was one of the most intense things I've experienced in a movie theater (the IMAX sound definitely helped). I literally said "holy shit" out loud with a big grin on my face after that scene. Loved it. The only disappointing thing for me was the design of the proto-xenomorph at the end. It just didn't look right, though I understand it's supposed to be a precursor.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:42 PM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Saw it tonight. Very impressed (last thing I cared about was visual effects) and satisfied as a big Alien fan. I loved how the tables turned from searching for answers from their makers to saving their makers from a mysterious contagion to finding out the contagion was meant for them. I thought the end with David's decapitated head was a bit too light-hearted, but if it's a sign of a sequel to come, I don't mind it. The most intense scenes for me were Shaw's surgery and the deaths and transformations (respectively) of the two geologists trapped in the ship. I heard a lot of complaining about loopholes that I can't really agree with unless I missed something, but I will say that I find it extremely hard to believe nobody noticed the squid baby on board Prometheus, especially with it being in a room inside Theron's private quarters.

8.5-9/10
3/15 Gogol Bordello