Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Death Angel -- San Francisco, CA -- December 27th, 2014
Protest the Hero -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 27th, 2014
Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014

  #1  
Old 05-13-2012, 12:30 AM
RampinUp46's Avatar
RampinUp46 RampinUp46 is offline
It's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,064
Eyehategod -- Austin, TX -- May 12th, 2012

I arrived at the 29th Street Ballroom around 6:30 to see Eyehategod for the second time. The show didn't start until 9:00 (I was told it was around 7:00), so I wound up waiting around for a while to see the band play. In the two hours and thirty minutes that followed, Mike struck up a conversation with me after he remembered me at SXSW, saw The Well play in the Spider House Cafe, and shot the shit with the fans and the band - highlights of that include Mike telling a random guy who asked about EHG that night "I have no idea who they are, man. Sound like a bunch of assholes to me.", talking about how one of the guys from Bongzilla apparently ran out of Oxys and is now on smack and hasn't been seen in a while, and a comment on how he doesn't mind the TSA's groping when he flies to shows (he laughed when I suggested to bring Viagra with him before he gets inside the airport).

Around 8:50, the doors opened and everyone crowded the patio, save ten people who went inside to go check out the shit the band had. Mike's book, Cancer as a Social Activity was on sale, and unlike the Amazon $150+ price, these were affordable (I got one for $20 at SXSW), tote bags were $5 (surprisingly durable cloth, not crappy-ass fabric), shirts were $15, DVDs were $10, and posters were $20. Mike hung around at the bar for most of the night talking to fans about general stuff like a European tour coming up in the summer/fall and the annual NOLA Halloween show. I meant to ask him about his future appearance on HBO, but it slipped my mind at the time.

Around 10:00, the band Venomous Maximus came onstage and started doing their thing. I sat at the tables in the back for their set, watching them play, and the audience...stood there, for the most part. Either they were somewhat unimpressed (they gave their cheers, but didn't really headbang much), or were saving their energy for EHG later on. One thing I noticed about them was that their singer/guitarist sort of looked like Mikael Akerfeldt and Glen Benton's bastard kid...so there's always that.

Since I don't have sets for the first two bands (I have one for Rust, but it's not on me at the moment), these may seem a bit...lacking. Sorry.

Rust came onstage with a bit more fanfare and approval from the audience, and played a pretty decent 45 minute set...I think. I dunno. I really don't have too much to say about this band, since I was sitting onstage losing feeling in my legs from the amplifiers and nothing really noteworthy happened during their set. Sounded good though.

A little after midnight, Eyehategod took the stage to the sound of feedback. I don't know if it was just me, but Mike's vocals seemed inaudible over the music through most of the set. As smearCampaign said below, Mike spent some time talking shit about the "bunch of trendy fucking pussies here in Austin...and you guys have a LOT of them!" and mentioning something about New Orleans. I was still sitting onstage from Rust's set, so I got close enough to see the chaos in the audience and onstage - including accidentally tripping Jimmy Bower (he didn't even miss a note!), watching Mike send a guy to the floor when he came up uninvited, seeing a girl slam into the monitor that people kept flipping around during the set and busting her nose - all of which reminded me of a description of Metalocalypse describing how their music sends the fans into a frenzy of hate and violence. At any given time, both guys and girls losing their shit would grab someone by the shoulders, throw them into the pit, and start violently slamming their faces and fists into the stage. I tried to remain "professional" and write down the songs, but a little after "Blank", I just said "fuck it" to myself and started slamming my own fists into the stage and went crazy. Hell, the next thing I remember after losing my shit was talking to Mike and Jimmy after the show. The former asked me if it was me flipping the monitor (I had - but back the way it was supposed to be, instead of backwards) and the latter gave me two guitar picks - his own, and a Pantera pick from Rex Brown in the "Reinventing the Steel" era with "Smoke Whiskey" on the back.

The sounds from that night were like hell on earth, and it was fucking good. The hearing problems just went away last night (a Monday), and the gig was on a Saturday...I really can't say too much else. EHG gigs are hard to describe unless you actually see them for yourself - it's crazy music for crazy people.

As for their setlist, I'm certain they played everything from White Nigger to Medicine Noose. Southern Discomfort and Peace Thru War were likely played, but I can't guarantee their accuracy. It's accurate in order from White Nigger to Blank. Everything after that, I don't know when they were played.

Incomplete, possibly incorrect, and likely out of order:

Eyehategod:

Southern Discomfort
White Nigger
$30 Bag
Dixie Whiskey
Sisterfucker
Blank
Shoplift
Jackass in the Will of God
Run It Into the Ground
New Orleans is the New Vietnam
Medicine Noose
Peace Thru War (Through Peace and War)
__________________
8/14 - Nine Inch Nails
9/16 - Prong
10/23-26 - HHFF
10/28 - Mike Watt
10/29 - Melvins
11/7 - 7 Seconds

Last edited by RampinUp46; 05-15-2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Added review.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-13-2012, 01:01 AM
christopher's Avatar
christopher christopher is online now
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Dimas, CA
Posts: 6,087
Mmmm an hour and forty five minute EHG set is sexy They played a set that long the first time I saw them in 2009 at the LA Murderfest. They got extended cause Cripple Bastards cancelled. They then came back 7 months later for a headlining set and only played 45 minutes
__________________
Who needs a god when you've got Big Macs?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-13-2012, 08:46 AM
smearCampaign's Avatar
smearCampaign smearCampaign is offline
...the dead are among us!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: michigan
Posts: 1,839
The EHG set also included Run It Into The Ground and a song that Mike said was new, Medicine Noose. Probably a couple others also.

This was a great show and actually my first time seeing a band at the 29th Street Ballroom. Doors were at 9, but I went to roller derby with some friends earlier in the night, so I didn't get there until about 10:45. I missed Venomous Maximus, which is Ok since I've seen them several times, and I arrived right as Rust was starting. Since they're a local band there were a fair amount of people who were familiar with Rust's material. It was a relatively quick teardown and setup and before long the EHG guys were on stage sound checking their equipment while Mike started talking some shit about SXSW and Austin hipsters which was pretty funny. Someone yelled out "Fuck New Orleans!" right before they started and Mike responded with something along the lines of; "Fuck New Orleans?! Why the fuck did you pay to get in here?". The floor opened up as soon as the first distorted feedback-drenched riff kicked in and the pit was chaotic all night. There were people stagediving off the tiny stage all night. I think there were about four stagedivers at the very beginning of Sisterfucker before the vocals kicked in; great active crowd. I was soaked in beer by the end of the set as there were cans and cups flying all night. This was my third time seeing EHG and I would say it was the best yet. As RampinUp46 mentioned it was a solid hour and 45 minute show, so you can't ask for much more from a headliner.
__________________
1/15 - Mayhem / Watain / Revenge ?
1/18 - Pharmakon
1/22 - Vattnet Viskar
2/8 - Aesop Rock ?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-13-2012, 09:21 PM
RampinUp46's Avatar
RampinUp46 RampinUp46 is offline
It's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by smearCampaign View Post
The EHG set also included Run It Into The Ground and a song that Mike said was new, Medicine Noose. Probably a couple others also.

This was a great show and actually my first time seeing a band at the 29th Street Ballroom. Doors were at 9, but I went to roller derby with some friends earlier in the night, so I didn't get there until about 10:45. I missed Venomous Maximus, which is Ok since I've seen them several times, and I arrived right as Rust was starting. Since they're a local band there were a fair amount of people who were familiar with Rust's material. It was a relatively quick teardown and setup and before long the EHG guys were on stage sound checking their equipment while Mike started talking some shit about SXSW and Austin hipsters which was pretty funny. Someone yelled out "Fuck New Orleans!" right before they started and Mike responded with something along the lines of; "Fuck New Orleans?! Why the fuck did you pay to get in here?". The floor opened up as soon as the first distorted feedback-drenched riff kicked in and the pit was chaotic all night. There were people stagediving off the tiny stage all night. I think there were about four stagedivers at the very beginning of Sisterfucker before the vocals kicked in; great active crowd. I was soaked in beer by the end of the set as there were cans and cups flying all night. This was my third time seeing EHG and I would say it was the best yet. As RampinUp46 mentioned it was a solid hour and 45 minute show, so you can't ask for much more from a headliner.
Thanks man! Halfway through the set, I stopped paying attention and lost my shit like everyone else (I was the big fucker in the Cannibal Corpse shirt onstage). Where were you in the middle of all this?
__________________
8/14 - Nine Inch Nails
9/16 - Prong
10/23-26 - HHFF
10/28 - Mike Watt
10/29 - Melvins
11/7 - 7 Seconds

Last edited by RampinUp46; 05-13-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-14-2012, 06:49 AM
smearCampaign's Avatar
smearCampaign smearCampaign is offline
...the dead are among us!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: michigan
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampinUp46 View Post
Thanks man! Halfway through the set, I stopped paying attention and lost my shit like everyone else (I was the big fucker in the Cannibal Corpse shirt onstage). Where were you in the middle of all this?
I was on the left side of the room anywhere from the front 3 people to the middle of the room depending on how the crowd was moving. I had a Skeletonwitch shirt on. We'll have to meet up next time.
__________________
1/15 - Mayhem / Watain / Revenge ?
1/18 - Pharmakon
1/22 - Vattnet Viskar
2/8 - Aesop Rock ?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-15-2012, 09:48 AM
RampinUp46's Avatar
RampinUp46 RampinUp46 is offline
It's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,064
Review added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smearCampaign View Post
I was on the left side of the room anywhere from the front 3 people to the middle of the room depending on how the crowd was moving. I had a Skeletonwitch shirt on. We'll have to meet up next time.
Definitely! The only things on my list for the summer would be Death for All, Mayhem Fest, or Dethklok, but we'll see what happens.
__________________
8/14 - Nine Inch Nails
9/16 - Prong
10/23-26 - HHFF
10/28 - Mike Watt
10/29 - Melvins
11/7 - 7 Seconds
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-15-2012, 10:50 AM
smearCampaign's Avatar
smearCampaign smearCampaign is offline
...the dead are among us!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: michigan
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampinUp46 View Post
Definitely! The only things on my list for the summer would be Death for All, Mayhem Fest, or Dethklok, but we'll see what happens.
Cool. If my buddy up in Dallas is going to Death to All I might go to that also, not sure yet.

Great review also. Sounds like you had an epic night.
__________________
1/15 - Mayhem / Watain / Revenge ?
1/18 - Pharmakon
1/22 - Vattnet Viskar
2/8 - Aesop Rock ?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eyehategod

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:03 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008