Chevelle -- Wallingford, CT -- August 30th, 2014
Morbid Saint -- Riverview, MI -- August 30th, 2014
Third Eye Blind -- Royal Oak, MI -- August 30th, 2014
Sleep -- Pioneertown, CA -- August 30th, 2014

Old 05-10-2012, 06:32 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Behemoth -- Montreal, Quebec -- May 9th, 2012

Venue: Club Soda

I want to start by saying that this was one of the best concerts I've ever been to. All four bands were absolutely amazing. Most metalheads I knew were there and the show was sold-out (about 900-1000 people). I had high expectations for In Solitude, but I didn't know I was going to be blown away like this. They definitely were one of the highlights (with Watain, obliviously). They sounded like a newer rendition of Mercyful Fate. They had everything: the leather jackets, the fender/flying-V guitar duo, the corpse painted vocalist, the eerie atmosphere, the almost-occult speeches in between the songs, the stage moves, and especially the riffs. Their melodic heavy metal riffs all sounded like they were right out of Don't Break the Oath. They were heavy and they had a lot of energy, especially their frontman. He moved and headbanged like if he was possessed and he clinged to his microphone stand like he was agonizing. His King Diamond-esque wails (the low-pitched ones) were greatly executed. I can't wait for them to come back and play more than 4 songs.

After a long soundcheck full of shredtastic guitar solos (seriously, these guys are mind-blowing), The Devil's Blood came on stage, obliviously all drenched in blood, to the sound of "Unending Singularity" coming out of the PA. They went straight into the psychedelic rock voyage that is "On the Wings of Gloria" and they were soon joined by their singer, Farida Lemouchi, who bursted out her beautiful, mystic vocals while making ritualistic signs in the air. She looked like she was in a trance. Their songs were punctuated by many epic guitar solos, and as a guitar player myself I was pleased. Some of them were also very extended with instrumental parts, specially their heavy metal anthem "Christ or Cocaine", whose length was almost doubled. The only disappointments of their performance were that the drums were too loud (I had trouble hearing the guitars clearly, even if there were 3 of them) and that I was hoping for a more visually developed show. Aside from the blood and the inverted tetragram backdrop, there was nothing special. Nonetheless, they gave a very enjoyable performance and the crowd seemed to like them.

Next was the band I was dying to see: Watain. They're one of my favourite black metal bands, if not my absolute favourite. I'm in love with their mix of emotional, occult and evil sounds, their Bathory-styled riffs and their amazing songwriting. Also, Erik Danielsson has one of the best voices I've heard in this style of music. Their stage set was impressive: they had an enormous Lawless Darkness backdrop in the far back, one with their trident emblem behind the drumkit, and flags on the sides. They also had tall poles with animal skulls and steel inverted crosses with animal heads on them. When they went on stage they lighted a lot of insence sticks (maybe to cover the smell of the heads). The ambiance was set for a mesmerizing performance. They came on stage with Selim from The Devil's Blood on lead guitar, all dressed in full costumes and corpse paint. Erik Danielsson has definitely the most epic stage look in all black metal (see this). They immediately exploded into their satanic hymn "Malfeitor", thus making the pit erupt with them. There were not that many people in the pit, but it was violent as hell. I moved on the side, because I wanted to appreciate Watain's set without being annoyed by idiots with corpse paint and Dimmu Borgir shirts. They gave a hell of a show; Erik's theatrical moves and use of the smoke machine were extremely entertaining, and each song immense immense, from the apocalyptic "The Serpent's Chalice" to the evil thrasher "Total Funeral" to the emotional dirge "Waters of Ain". These two last ones were my personal highlights. I can't perfectly explain how great it was with words, but it was one of the best live shows I've ever seen. The only negative point would be that I would have liked them to play longer. I already can't wait until their next headlining tour, whenever that is.

After talking to my friends about how incredible Watain were (they all had came for Behemoth), I went out to get some money to buy a Watain hoodie. When I came back, it was supposed to be Behemoth's time to play, but just like when they played at the Medley (R.I.P.) in 2009, they had sound problems and the soundcheck seemed to last forever. After many minutes of waiting, they took the stage to the excited chants of the crowd and opened with the glorious opening notes to "Ov Fire and the Void". I would have personally chosen a more aggressive opener like "Daimonos", but it still worked well. It was Nergal's triumphant return, and as he yelled later during their performance, "it feels great to be alive!" As always, the band members themselves and the light effects were highly badass. The sound was really good too, except for Nergal's microphone that induced some kind of distortion in his voice. The crowd went nuts for them, especially when they played songs like "Demigod", "Conquer All", "Slaves Shall Serve" or "Decade of Therion". Speaking of the setlist, the addition of older songs was pretty cool. "Moonspell Rites" was translated particularly well to their current black/death sound. It sounded heavier and more epic than its original version. The solemn, ceremonial encore composed of "23" and "Lucifer" was really fun too. However, I felt like the set was lacking more brutal songs. Except for "Decade of Therion" and "Slaves Shall Serve", it was mostly filled with mid-tempo, semi-heavy tunes. Something from Zos Kia Cultus would have been cool too. Anyway, the Polish death metal masters gave an imposing performance, that I would have probably enjoyed more if I wasn't already spoiled and fully satisfied by the opening bands.

In Solitude

We Were Never Here
Demons
To Her Darkness
Witches Sabbath

The Devil's Blood

Unending Singularity
On the Wings of Gloria
River of Gold
Fire Burning
Christ or Cocaine

Watain

Malfaitor
Reaping Death
The Serpent's Chalice
Total Funeral
Waters of Ain

Behemoth

Ov Fire and the Void
Demigod
Moonspell Rites
Conquer All
The Thousand Plagues I Witness
Alas, Lord Is Upon Me
The Seed ov I
Decade of Therion
At the Left Hand ov God
Slaves Shall Serve
Chant for Eschaton 2000

-----------------------------------

23 (The Youth Manifesto)
Lucifer

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame

Last edited by VoidFlame; 05-10-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:43 AM
N00B

Behemoth was amazing but I don't know if it's because of where I was standing but the sound didn't feel as powerful and loud as the other times i've seen them.

Ov fire and the void
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmRXDgmugQE
Old 05-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someguy89 View Post
Behemoth was amazing but I don't know if it's because of where I was standing but the sound didn't feel as powerful and loud as the other times i've seen them.

Ov fire and the void
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmRXDgmugQE
The bass drums were way too loud compared to the rest of the instruments, that's for sure.

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 05-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Headbanger

It was definitely a great show, the crowd was very responsive. The mighty Behemoth has done it again, what an energic performance...even though I prefered their last show back in 2009 at the Medley (because of the setlist), I did enjoy the older songs which translated very well live... The only thing I have to say about last night is the lenght of the setlist, way too fuckin short! I thought they would play for like an hour and a half... Can't wait for their next tour and album (which is expected in 2013 BTW).
Old 05-10-2012, 02:48 PM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidFlame View Post
"it feels great to be alive!"
I've solved this....
Nergal really did die, and he is just a hologram, thus he has said this line and nothing more at every show on the tour... take that Hologram Shakur.

MYTH, BUSTED!

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com

Tags
behemoth, in solitude, the devil's blood, watain