Metallica -- Warsaw, Poland -- July 11th, 2014
Snakecharmer -- London, England -- July 11th, 2014
Aerosmith -- Wantagh, NY -- July 10th, 2014
311 -- Lansing, MI -- July 9th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 05-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Altars of Radness

Origin -- Hollywood, CA -- May 6th, 2012

This would be my first show at the famous Whisky a Go Go, where bands such as Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Mötley Crüe, Van Halen and many more have played. Death's Live in LA DVD was even filmed there. It was cool to be in a venue that so many iconic bands have played in.

On the way to the show I stopped at Amoeba and found Cattle Decapitation's Humanure on vinyl. I thought it was an appropriate purchase. By the time I got to the Whisky Embryonic Devourment was doing their sound check. I had seen them a few years ago and they were alright. I think they have improved quite a bit since then. They're still not a band I would listen to regularly, but I enjoyed them. It was really cool to watch the vocalist play a fretless bass. They mentioned they will have a new album coming out soon and they played a song from it.
  1. Militarized Reptoids
  2. Vivid Interpretations of the Void
  3. Eye of the Horomatangi
  4. Darken Thy Fluids
  5. Speaking in Tongue (new)
  6. Human Harvest

Next up was Battlecross, who I had never heard of before this tour. The first thing I noticed was that the vocalist was wearing light blue crocs. Their music was horrible and I tried to not pay too much attention during their set. After they finished the vocalist announced that Rings of Saturn was next. I believe this was their first date back on the tour after getting in an accident last week. A couple years ago nobody cared about this band and it's been weird to see them get popular out of nowhere. I remember they actually released their album through MySpace because they weren't signed. The crowd seemed to enjoy them a lot, and there were even people two-stepping during the new song. Personally, I found their music to be extremely annoying and I think the guitarists are wasting their talent.

Thankfully Rings of Saturn didn't play for very long and Aborted was going to take the stage next. I have been waiting to see them for four years now. I was planning on seeing them on the Summer Slaughter tour in 2008 but I ended up not being able to go at the last minute. Since their last time in the states they have had a major lineup change, which is nothing new for the band. Sven is the only member actually from Belgium, but he now lives in Israel and the rest of the band is spread out around the world. Along with the lineup change has come a change in direction for the band. They've not only returned to a heavier sound with their new album, but since last year they have been playing more old songs and have dropped everything from their more melody driven albums, Strychnine.213 and Slaughter & Apparatus.

It wasn't long before they exploded into "Global Flatline". I was in awe that I was finally seeing them. Sven's vocals were insane live and the rest of the band sounded great as well. Unfortunately it seemed like only half of the crowd was into them. The pit was relatively empty, with the same three or four people in it for most of the set. I ignored the partially asleep crowd and headbanged as much as possible. When they went into "The Holocaust Incarnate", my second favorite song by them, I nearly went berserk. I couldn't believe I was hearing it finally. After "Sanguine Verses" Sven announced that the next song would be their last. I was expecting them to play "From a Tepid Whiff", but then he continued, "This one is from Goremageddon." I knew exactly what that meant. Once again I went into a headbanging fury as they played my favorite, "The Saw and the Carnage Done". After four years of waiting I was not let down. I really couldn't have asked for a better set from them.
  1. Global Flatline
  2. Coronary Reconstruction
  3. Meticulous Invagination
  4. The Holocaust Incarnate
  5. The Origin of Disease
  6. Sanguine Verses (...of Extirpation)
  7. The Saw and the Carnage Done

My neck was already extremely sore, but I stayed in the pit for Decrepit Birth. It was immediately obvious that nearly everybody was into them. The pit was much more violent and there were a lot more people headbanging. As usual, the band put on a remarkable performance. I'm glad they decided to open with "Of Genocide" again, because it's an absolutely crushing intro. I was disappointed they didn't play "A Gathering of Imaginations" though. Not playing anything from Diminishing Between Worlds just seems wrong. I consider it to be their best work and it was the album that got them popular. If they were short on time they should have cut something else instead. It was really cool to hear them play "Crystal Mountain" though. Bill introduced it by saying "You should all know this one." Indeed, the crowd did, and everybody went crazy when they started paying it. I'm not usually a fan of bands playing covers, but Decrepit Birth playing a Death song is very fitting.
  1. Of Genocide
  2. Metatron
  3. The Infestation
  4. Prelude to the Apocalypse
  5. The Resonance
  6. Symbiosis
  7. Crystal Mountain (Death cover)

Then it was time for Cattle Decapitation. I love Monolith of Inhumanity, so I was really looking forward to hearing the new songs live. The band was tight and had a perfect sound. I love how well you can hear the bass when they play. And of course, Travis looked like a deranged psychopath on stage, vomiting his guttural vocals onto the mic and wiping his spit on himself. The set mainly consisted of new material, but they did dive into the back catalog for two songs. I was disappointed that they didn't play "Chunk Blower" though. I hope they do a headlining tour before the end of the year, because I'd love to hear some more older material again. However, I must say that "Kingdom of Tyrants" is a great closer. Cattle Decapitation remains one of my favorite live bands, right up there with Suffocation.
  1. The Carbon Stampede
  2. Dead Set On Suicide
  3. A Living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
  4. Testicular Manslaughter
  5. Forced Gender Reassignment
  6. Your Disposal
  7. Success Is... (Hanging By the Neck)
  8. Lifestalker
  9. Kingdom of Tyrants

After Cattle Decapitation finished I went upstairs to watch Origin. I'm not really a fan of them, but I was still interested in seeing them live, especially since I haven't seen them since Jason Keyser joined the band. Needless to say, they are lightyears better with Jason. They put on an energetic performance and Jason's stage banter was very entertaining. He mentioned the "stage dive wall of death" they did at the Roxy and that they were banned from the venue because of it. Then before "Swarm" he asked the crowd to stage dive. Security began grabbing people and kicking people out, but they could only get a few since there were a lot of people doing it, including Bill from Decrepit Birth. Jason actually convinced them to let one of the guys back in. Even though I can't say I'm a fan, I really enjoyed their set, although it seemed a bit short.
  1. Expulsion of Fury
  2. Purgatory
  3. Wrath of Vishnu
  4. Banishing Illusion
  5. Staring from the Abyss
  6. Swarm
  7. Saligia
  8. The Aftermath
  9. Implosion of Eternity
  10. Finite
  11. Portal

Last edited by treghet; 03-29-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Origin's short song was probably Banishing Illusion from Entity.

Thanks for the sets and the awesome review! I really wish I was getting Embryonic Devourment here, their album is absolutely killer!

I kinda felt the same way about Battlecross that you did, but I tried my best to enjoy them.

And Monolith of Inhumanity might just be my new favorite Cattle record!
07/25 - Masked Intruder
07/31 - Warped
Old 05-08-2012, 06:50 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

What is it with metal bands and not respecting simple rules nowadays? I like stage-diving but man, try to get rid of the egos and book at a smaller venue or something.

Last edited by larvtard; 05-08-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

That's pretty much the same setlists from last night, except Origin was cut short. I'm going to write the review when I get a chance.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Born Again In Blasphemy

The missing song might have been Banishing Illusion. They played it on Friday. It could've been Committed too, they also played that song on Friday and is also a short song. They only got 7 songs in at the Slidebar.

Nice to hear that Jason got people stagediving at the Whisky. They're the most anal about that in LA.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post
What is it with metal bands and not respecting simple rules nowadays?
Boy my jimmies sure are rustled. If only I had a mature taste in music like you.

0/10
Old 05-08-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
Boy my jimmies sure are rustled. If only I had a mature taste in music like you.

0/10
Dude, that's not what I was implying at all. I'm sorry if the rolling eyes confused you. I pretty much listen to the same music as you guys anyway.... Thanks for intentionally taking my comment out of context, though!

And obviously your jimmies were somewhat rustled

Last edited by larvtard; 05-08-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:19 PM

Goddammit I'm sorry guys, I always find a way to ruin a thread... :/

Just ignore me and move on...
Old 05-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
What is it with metal bands and not respecting simple rules nowadays? I like stage-diving but man, try to get rid of the egos and book at a smaller venue or something.
was it you or someone else that did a Trapped Under Ice review a little while ago where they basically did the same thing?
07/25 - Masked Intruder
07/31 - Warped
Old 05-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Altars of Radness

Thanks Jackson and Scott. I put Banishing Illusion in the post.

Quote:
Well, I don't think they knew that they had a no stage diving rule. After people got kicked out Jason didn't ask anybody to stage dive again. And both the Whisky and Roxy are small clubs.

Last edited by treghet; 05-08-2012 at 08:07 PM.

Tags
aborted, cattle decapitation, decrepit birth, embryonic devourment, origin