Raven -- Fullerton, CA -- October 23rd, 2014
King Diamond -- Denver, CO -- October 24th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 24th, 2014
Judas Priest -- Evansville, IN -- October 22nd, 2014
Pearl Jam -- Denver, CO -- October 22nd, 2014

Old 05-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Bringer of Darkness

Ahab- The Giant Review

Munich, Germany's Ahab have been huge players in the doom metal scene since their debut "The Call of the Wretched Sea" in 2006. Which is considered by many a funeral doom classic. After that on "The Divinity of Oceans" they decided to change into a more straight ahead death/doom sound with progressive and post rock flourishes like on "Redemption Lost". Which veered away from the extreme side of doom altogether sans some death growls in the middle of the song. Now with their third full length on the horizon aptly named "The Giant ". Using Edgar Allen Poe's only novel "The Narrative of Arthur Gorden Pym of Nantuckett" as its concept, Ahab have changed yet again. Giving birth to their greatest and most complete offering to date, by stripping away the death metal and funeral aspects of their music almost completely. Instead focusing on massive amounts of restraint, Ahab use progressive almost jazzy instrumentation that turn into beastly doom ridden passages at the drop of a hat. Melodic singing and guitar lines float along guided by subtle drum fills and bass lines before eventually giving way to tidal waves of monolithic riffing coupled with either harsh shouting or death growls. All of this tied into post metal structures with huge climaxes that positively soar or in Ahabs case dive into the seas lowest abysmal depths. Like on the album's definitive highlight "Aeons Elapse", which starts of with quiet strumming and whispered vocals before an anguished cry gives way to a Sabbathian dirge that crawls to a hypnotizing oceanic climax. Even though that track stands out to me the most, the five other tracks are just as great. Each mini epic filled to the brim with lush atmospherics and crushing doom riffs. The hero of the whole album though is Daniel Droste. Whose vocals definitely deserves their own note. He really elevated his game with this album especially his singing. Which has gotten 100% better since the last album. He now sounds a lot like Patrick Walker of Warning fame. It really made the more mellow aspects of this album work. The absolute best part of "The Giant" though is the feeling after its over that we still have not witnessed Ahabs true potential yet. So I really look forward to see what the kings of Nautik Doom Metal do next. This will for sure be on a lot of top ten lists at the end of the year .I can guarantee that, it might even top some of them. It's my album of the year so far and if something can top it, I really can't wait to hear it.

Any thoughts on the review?

Last edited by hb420; 05-02-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:26 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb420 View Post
by stripping away the death metal and funeral aspects of their music almost completely.
I can't wait to hear the album but this part disappoints me I'm sure it's still going to be good but in a different way.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:27 PM
N00B

Sweet, after this review I know I'm going to love this. I know a lot of people will be disappointed with the lack of funeral doominess, but I'm ok with them progressing and I love the new direction.
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 05-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Buahahahahaha

I'm a litte disappointed the hear they're getting rid of the funeral/death aspects, but I'm sure I'll like it.
12/07 Pallbearer
12/19 Lil B 'The Based God'
Old 05-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

Will have to check this out.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Bringer of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonos View Post
Will have to check this out.
You should it's like how Enslaved changed from to Ruun to Vertebrae is what I keep telling people. That progressive postiness except switch black metal to doom metal in their case.

I am currently starting a blog for metal at doomed2bestoned.blogspot.com. There's a couple other reviews up besides this one and some concert reviews. The layout is basic and shitty, So i know that'll be changed when I can. I have my best friend doing the concert reviews along with some news. But I'd need some other people that would like to be reviewers or interviewers, If anybody is interested?

Last edited by hb420; 05-03-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb420 View Post
You should it's like how Enslaved changed from to Ruun to Vertebrae is what I keep telling people. That progressive postiness except switch black metal to doom metal in their case.

I am currently starting a blog for metal at doomed2bestoned.blogspot.com. There's a couple other reviews up besides this one and some concert reviews. The layout is basic and shitty, So i know that'll be changed when I can. I have my best friend doing the concert reviews along with some news. But I'd need some other people that would like to be reviewers or interviewers, If anybody is interested?
Awesome dude, I'll definitely keep an eye on your blog. I might be down for some reviews and stuff, but I can't promise anything. Either way I'd love to help you out!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

I kind of feel the same as Daimones... I'll definitely try to keep an eye on the blog, but I'm just not at a point right now where I can devote a lot of time to reviewing.

If I find something really special I'll try to make something happen.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:57 PM
#Controversial

The change in sound sucks, can't stand post rock
Old 05-12-2012, 09:04 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

but this review is average sized