It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 04-20-2012, 02:37 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Harms Way -- Chicago, IL -- April 19th, 2012

Venue: 1719 W Albion House
Bands: Harms Way, Weekend Nachos, Noose, Hate
Source: Me

This was a local benefit basement show on the north side of Chicago, meant to raise money for the family of Dustin Wells, a friend of the bands, who passed away, leaving his wife and child with little money. I went up pretty early with Daimonos from the boards, arriving at 6:30 since the show was supposed to start at 7 and John from Weekend Nachos told me it was going to be packed. We got there, and there were only about 5 other people there so far, so we ended up hanging out and talking with the guys. I talked with John briefly about random stuff (he remembered me from Converge), and talked with the guitarist from Harms Way about how things were going with them. If you've been keeping up with recent news, a van filled with most of their equipment got stolen a couple days ago, right in Wicker Park. Apparently 3 other cars on that block were stolen that night too. The guitarist said they were parked outside his girlfriend's place because they were planning on practicing there for this show. Sucks big time that something like that has to happen to a small band with no money in the first place.

Show didn't end up starting until 8, when people started to pack the basement. I want to say there was about 150 people there overall? Very small space, too. The first band, Hate, were a local hardcore-y band, but nothing too special. Their singer kind of shrieked, almost like black metal. Good way to set the mood. Met up with Garagemetal and Metallicbrian after their performance, nice to see you guys as always.

The next band, Noose, are a hardcore vegan straight-edge band from Chicago that have a couple EP's out. Apparently a bunch of people don't like them because they're really outspoken about their views or some bullshit. I personally loved their style: it wasn't very moshy, more like traditional hardcore punk. People started to get a little crazy for them. Enjoyed the performance a lot; I'll have to check 'em out more.

Weekend Nachos hit it up next, and then it REALLY started to go nuts. They were just as solid as a couple weeks ago, if not better since it was in such a small space. Lots of people were moshing, throwing down, and running up in the vocalist's face. Since it was so small, the singer (for all the bands) was kind of in the mosh pit, either throwing down or running into people the whole time. They played for about 20 minutes, and although I didn't keep track of the set I know they played Hometown Hero, Black Earth, Obituary, Frostbitten, Friendship, and Jock Powerviolence for sure. They're becoming one of my favorite live bands to see. John threw the mic in my face a bit for Jock Powerviolence and Black Earth. Lots of people knew their lyrics.

Next up was Harms Way, easily one of my favorite bands nowadays. And they fucking brought it live. Because of the special nature of the show, they decided to bring out their old lineup from their first 7", Imprisoned, including John from Weekend Nachos on bass, and played their first two 7" in their entirety. James, the huge jacked singer, is only about 5'6" or so in person, but still terrifying in his presence. He's actually a really soft spoken, super nice and introverted guy when not playing, I said "hi" to him on the way out. But during the performance, he's something else. He took his shirt off and wore a black ski mask over his face the whole time. As soon as they burst into their intro, he jumped up and kicked someone in the chest, and the pit just exploded from there. I was in it most of the time; feel pretty sore today. There was this one chick actually who was one of the most violent people in that pit! And during one of the last songs, I think Repression, some dude picked up a concrete block and threw it down on the floor in the pit, smashing it into about 20 pieces. I kind of stepped in to kick some of the blocks out of the way so nobody got hurt, but one big jacked guy picked up two slabs of the concrete and wielded them in his hands as he proceded to hardcore dance around the room. I don't think anyone got hurt though, and someone made him put it down shortly after I think. Fucking insane. Someone could have died. There was also this one skinny guy in the pit who was friends with the band wearing only gym shorts and shoes who kind of silly walked around the pit the whole time, just getting punched over and over again. At the very end of the last song, someone thew down his pants and he ran around naked for a while until someone made him put it up. Awesome fucking show, really glad I went. Picked up the No Gods, No Masters 7" after (finally). It was probably only a 20 minute set, but I couldn't imagine it lasting much longer. Perfect length, in my opinion. Can't wait to see 'em next week, playing some newer stuff! Some dude filmed the whole show from behind the band, too, so I assume it'll be up on youtube soon. You can all see me get the snot beaten out of me.

Harms Way set:

Virgin of Nuremberg
Pure Hatred
Militant Mondays
Total Annihilation
In My World
Outro
Imprisoned
Delusion
Repression

Last edited by jd091; 05-01-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Damn, that sounds like a fun fucking show! I miss shows like this.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:05 PM
#Controversial

Whoop whoop

I'd definitely like to see more shows at the Albion. Wish the bass didn't drown out the vocals but who cares, awesome time
Old 04-20-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicbrian666 View Post
Whoop whoop

I'd definitely like to see more shows at the Albion. Wish the bass didn't drown out the vocals but who cares, awesome time
Yeah, I forgot to mention how bad the sound was at times. I couldn't hear much of any of the vocals during Harms Way. But hey, it's a basement. What do you expect?
Old 04-20-2012, 06:23 PM
N00B

Guys I have an overkill ticket for wed in Chicago and I cant go. I will give it away for free. Just email me at danschacher@att.net and put your metalsetlists screen name and overkill in the.title and I can either mail it to you or I think.faxing.may work or you can pick up at my place in Lisle. First email gets it for free
Old 04-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

I wish I would of went. Oh well I'm seeing Harms Way with JD next weekend!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:00 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Cool review! I want to see those guys, though your talk about the crowd kinda scares me Sadly, I missed their last tour with Dead End Path.

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 05-01-2012, 11:01 PM

Here's a couple videos of the last parts of the sets:

Harms Way
Weekend Nachos

Kudos if you know who I am in the vids.

I also mixed up the Harm's Way set slightly; its fixed now. Though I'm not sure what the very, very end of Harm's Way's set is in that vid. Huh.

Last edited by jd091; 05-01-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Here's a couple videos of the last parts of the sets:

Harms Way
Weekend Nachos

Kudos if you know who I am in the vids.

I also mixed up the Harm's Way set slightly; its fixed now. Though I'm not sure what the very, very end of Harm's Way's set is in that vid. Huh.
Looks fun, plus I saw you getting pushed around in the harms way video.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:03 PM
The best part of waking up, is Satan in your cup

Wow, you guys don't know how to two-step

This reminds me of all the damn hardcore shows that have been coming here lately. I think a small scene is starting to brew I just saw Rotting Out and FocusedxMinds on monday. That was small as fuck, but really good.

Weekend nachos i coming here on Saturday, in some basement as well I think. I'm thinking about going.

Tags
harm's way, weekend nachos