Dropdead -- Scottsdale, AZ -- August 30th, 2014
Chevelle -- Wallingford, CT -- August 30th, 2014
Morbid Saint -- Riverview, MI -- August 30th, 2014
Third Eye Blind -- Royal Oak, MI -- August 30th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 04-20-2012, 10:44 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Obituary -- Toronto, Ontario -- September 25th, 2009

Obituary (aka: the night of the Flying V’s, because in every band at least one guitarist had a Flying V)
Support: Goatwhore, Krisiun, the Berzerker, Warbringer
Date: September 25th, 2009
Venue: the Opera House in Toronto, Ontario

This was a concert that I went back and forth on if I wanted to go for months. I really only wanted to see the Berzerker. Obituary I knew from a few videos back in the day and I had the Xecutioners Return album but didn’t think too much of it. Goatwhore I knew but really hadn’t heard and Krisiun I’d heard of for years but never listened to. Was I ever glad I went.

The night started out slow, with Warbringer. I don’t need to get into them, everyone has their opinion. For whatever reason their one guitar player was using Ralph Santollas of Obituary’s guitar. I couldn't believe it when I saw them a year later and they were main support for Nevermore. I'm sorry, but they suck.

The Berzerker I only knew from the album Dissimulate, but I LOVED that album. My expectations for them live were really high and they were not met. Dissimulate has that wicked “gabber” electronic drum sound mixed in with the drum machine and I was hoping that live they would up the “gabber” beats and crush everything. But they didn’t. The gabber beats were barely in the mix and in the end the Berzerker were just a somewhat sloppy death/grind band. I’m not sure what they played exactly because everything sounded really shitty but I think they may have played The Principles And Practices Of Embalming and Painless off the Dissimulate album. It's hard to remember because it was a mess and the singer had a habit of doing most of his talking during intro for songs so I couldn't make out what he was saying.

Krisiun was up next and I remembered them from old metal magazines ten years earlier and writers saying they sounded just like Sepultura (I only think they wrote that because they’re from Brazil). I wasn’t expecting much but for just three guys they had one of the most CRUSHING live sounds I’ve heard. They just floored everyone. I was impressed to say the least. If you ever have the chance to see Krisiun live DO NOT PASS IT UP. I didn’t know any of their material then but I’m pretty sure they played Sentenced Mourning.

Goatwhore I neither love or hate but they were really fun live at least. Apocalyptic Havoc was the only song I recognized and it was really good. Halfway through their set I was towards the back of the pit (which was pretty intense) and some guy got hit and a full 355ml beer went directly in my face. That was pretty cool. I looked over at my brother and he screams, “this concert is fucking awesome”! I’m not sure of their set but I ripped one from earlier in the week from setlist.fm that I think is pretty accurate.

Goatwhore
1. Bloodletting Upon the Cloven Hoof 

2. Provoking the Ritual of Death 

3. Blood Guilt Eucharist 

4. The All-Destroying 

5. Apocalyptic Havoc 

6. Shadow of a Rising Knife 

7. Carving Out the Eyes of God 

8. Perversions of the Ancient Goat 

9. Baptized in a Storm of Swords 

10. In Legions, I Am Wars of Wrath 

11. Alchemy of the Black Sun Cult

Obituary mad a fan out of me that night. I knew the Xecutioners Return album and the songs Don’t Care and List of the Dead, but that was about it. But once they hit the dual-drum break in Blood to Give I was sold that these guys were awesome. Set highlights were Blood to Give, Dying, Final Thoughts and Chopped in Half. The only complaint I have about them live is the same I have with them on record; and that’s that they have too many long instrumental parts in their songs. I really like John Tardys vocals but he just doesn’t sing enough. I ended up buying their first four albums shortly after this set and really wish I’d bought the Cause of Death T-shirt. I even saw them eight months later at the Opera House again, but I went to that show more for Entombed. They weren’t as good that night.

Obituary
1. List of Dead 

2. Blood to Give 

3. Internal Bleeding 

4. On the Floor 

5. Dying 

6. Face Your God 

7. Threatening Skies 

8. Forces Realign 

9. Dethroned Emperor 
(Celtic Frost cover)
10. The End Complete 

11. Final Thoughts 

12. Contrast the Dead 

13. Chopped in Half / Turned Inside Out 

Encore:
(Drum / Guitar Solo)
14. Slow Death 

15. Evil Ways 

16. Slowly We Rot

Overall this was probably the best show I saw in 2009 just because it was so fun and the bands just kept getting better and better (peaking with Krisiun).
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 04-20-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:08 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

awesome review. Seeing your posts of past shows and gigs makes me wanna post an old gig that I attended back in july 2010, I think I just might do that.
11/14 - Slayer
Old 04-21-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard in Black 666 View Post
awesome review. Seeing your posts of past shows and gigs makes me wanna post an old gig that I attended back in july 2010, I think I just might do that.
I'm just doing it to fill the archives up a bit and to add a bit more personal touch to it than the setlists you find on setlist.fm.

I'm going to Negura Bunget next week, if I can swipe a setlist from them or any of the openers I may be able to post something current.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 04-21-2012, 06:48 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

True story (and you are one of the few people on here who might truly appreciate this):

This show took place on my tenth wedding anniversary. The night before, in the old Giants Stadium, I saw U2 for the first time on their "U2 360 Tour".

Another fun fact: The younger of my two sons was conceived that night.

Final fun fact: This was the second time something like this happened to me and my wife. Our first son was also conceived on the night of a U2 show back in December of 2005.

The Power of Bono, I guess.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
True story (and you are one of the few people on here who might truly appreciate this):

This show took place on my tenth wedding anniversary. The night before, in the old Giants Stadium, I saw U2 for the first time on their "U2 360 Tour".

Another fun fact: The younger of my two sons was conceived that night.

Final fun fact: This was the second time something like this happened to me and my wife. Our first son was also conceived on the night of a U2 show back in December of 2005.

The Power of Bono, I guess.
Don't let him hear you say that. I love the guy but I don't think his god-complex could handle that.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 04-21-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:14 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Well U2 is good for something, I guess.

Tags
goatwhore, krisiun, obituary, the berzerker, warbringer