Old 04-10-2012, 07:19 AM
::Metal Nerd::

Paganfest -- Atlanta, GA -- April 9th, 2012

City: Atlanta
State: Georgia
Venue: Masquerade
Date: April 9th, 2012
Tour: Paganfest Amerika III

This was one of the funnest shows i have had in a while. This line-up would have been better if Ex-Deo was still on but if they were Arkona would have gotten a shorter set so i'm not too mad. Having seen most of these bands before this show was a perfect mix and made each band perform better and have fun.

Huntress was first and I have loved them since the first time i heard their EP and can't wait for the new album. This band mixes traditional heavy metal sound with the singing and screaming of a badass metal chick. This band will probably come around more since their debut comes out May 8th. All of the new songs were good and showed off her ability as a vocalist.

The Tower
Senecide
Aradia
Sleep and Death
Spelleater
Eight of Swords

Arkona was next and every person in the audience was pumped to get to see them. Many of us had seen them Korpiklanni but most people at the show hadn't and finally got to witness the amazing ferocity of this band live. For me it took seeing them to get into them but when I did i fell in love with them. This band could easily headline a tour here and do just as good or better as Turisas. They had the most patrons with their shirts on more than any other band. The crowd loved every note played and every word sang.

Az'
Arkaim
Zakliatie
Slav'sja, Rus'!
Ot serdca k nebu
Goi, Rode, Goi!
Po syroi zemle
Stenka na Stenku
Yarilo

Alestorm was next and the crowd got crazier for them and rowdy and pushy as hell. This band doesn't strike me as anything special but it seems i was the minority. They always get an amazing reception here and this tour only fueled their fan base. Since they will be touring with Epica in the Fall many people will get to see them again.

Shipwrecked
Wenches & Mead
The Sunk'n Norwegian
Nancy the Tavern Wench
Back Through Time
Midget Saw
Keelhauled
Rumpelkombo
Black Sails at Midnight
No Quarter
Rum

Turisas finally took the stage in all of their red and black glory and everyone was excited for their full headline set. This band got a lot of attention at the Cradle show's and those fans came back to support this great band. i love that this band uses almost all possible instruments like their albums. They also create a great chorus when all 5 sing together. It makes each song bigger and better and everyone couldn't get enough. I am glad i got to go to this show and witness this great line up.

The March of the Varangian Guard
Take the Day!
To Holmgard and Beyond
The Great Escape
The Dnieper Rapids
A Portage to the Unknown
Hunting Pirates
One More
Stand Up and Fight
Sahti-Waari
Encore:
Rasputin
Battle Metal
12/13 Blizzard of Ozzy
12/27 Iron Mullet
1/6 Halestorm
1/21 W13
1/25 Machine Head
Old 04-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Žķestru

Arkona stole the show as far as I'm concerned. I was pretty worried about how the night was going to go when that shit rockcore or whatever band opened up - seriously, they didn't belong at all, and they were awful. But Prime Mover kind of made up for them, being acceptable but nothing special. I found Huntress to be very annoying. Not sure why, but something about them really felt wrong to me. But yeah, Arkona made up for all previous transgressions, and really did feel like a pagan festival. I don't know their frontwoman's name, but damn, she was awesome. Even her harsh vocals were good, and I tend to dislike harsh female vocals. Alestorm didn't do much for me the first time I saw them, so I wasn't thrilled about them when they took the stage last night, but I ended up enjoying them quite a bit. The fact that people were going completely nuts for them helped. Also, the band has a good attitude, which made them likeable. Turisas was a good closer to the night. Can't say much besides that, just a fun live band. Plus, that dude's English was impressively good. Skaal!
Old 04-10-2012, 02:50 PM
N00B

I can echo a lot of what was said here but have to disagree with some others. Bottom line is like always Alestorm steals the show. In this case it was Arkona and Alestorm stealing the show. I have seen Alestorm 5 times now. Was nice to talk to them outside the show before they went on. They always delivery and wherever they go the crowd gets whipped into a frenzy. The best part is the frenzy also evolves into some dancing as well which is always a fun change and part of a folk metal show.

Arkona was killer live. I had not seen them yet but their music and on stage energy translates to an awesome show. Even setting up a Wall of Death which I do not see at metal shows at the masq very often. This band actually got the pit moving for the night. As they played more and more people got involved. I would say it culminated with max energy during Alestorm.

Huntress was as a I expected. I have tried to get into them but the shrill vocals I just cannot handle. It was made worse in the live atmosphere. I LOVE loud music but her voice and 'screaming' was just not good. Her lisp she deployed between songs just became more of a joke than anything else. I also love moshing and enjoying the show. The level of shrill from her... I moved to the back and waited for the set to be over. Enjoyed a water before Arkona came out.

And as always at the masq there were some dudes that decide to bring their women friends and choose to stand at the rail or right next to the pit. Of course they got extremely mad when an errant body came near the girls. Still not sure why this happens every single time here but it does. One girl even hit one of my friends after he got pushed and had no control over where he went... lulz
Old 04-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Rich Haagen Dazs farts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl View Post
I can echo a lot of what was said here but have to disagree with some others. Bottom line is like always Alestorm steals the show. In this case it was Arkona and Alestorm stealing the show. I have seen Alestorm 5 times now. Was nice to talk to them outside the show before they went on. They always delivery and wherever they go the crowd gets whipped into a frenzy. The best part is the frenzy also evolves into some dancing as well which is always a fun change and part of a folk metal show.

Arkona was killer live. I had not seen them yet but their music and on stage energy translates to an awesome show. Even setting up a Wall of Death which I do not see at metal shows at the masq very often. This band actually got the pit moving for the night. As they played more and more people got involved. I would say it culminated with max energy during Alestorm.

Huntress was as a I expected. I have tried to get into them but the shrill vocals I just cannot handle. It was made worse in the live atmosphere. I LOVE loud music but her voice and 'screaming' was just not good. Her lisp she deployed between songs just became more of a joke than anything else. I also love moshing and enjoying the show. The level of shrill from her... I moved to the back and waited for the set to be over. Enjoyed a water before Arkona came out.

And as always at the masq there were some dudes that decide to bring their women friends and choose to stand at the rail or right next to the pit. Of course they got extremely mad when an errant body came near the girls. Still not sure why this happens every single time here but it does. One girl even hit one of my friends after he got pushed and had no control over where he went... lulz
Yup, Arkona and Alestorm definitely stole the show. Huntress was great although I wanted to throw a sandwich at the lead singer.

Tags
alestorm, arkona, huntress, turisas