Judas Priest -- Salt Lake City, UT -- November 12th, 1990
Korn -- Denver, CO -- July 29th, 2002

Old 04-09-2012, 09:27 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Converge -- Chicago, IL -- April 8th, 2012

Bands: Converge, Loma Prieta, Weekend Nachos, Git Some
Venue: Reggie's Rock Club
Source: Me

Got to the venue around 7:30, show was supposed to start at 7. To my amazement, there was still a long line of people trying to get in; I'm pretty sure this sold out by the end of the night. I preordered my ticket. Came in during the middle of Git Some's set; they seemed pretty mediocre honestly. Reminded me a lot of Red Fang, with that southern rock-y style. It does nothing for me, but I'm sure some of you guys would probably love it.

Anyway, met with a couple of friends who I knew from the BTBAM concert last year and talked during the quick changeout for Weekend Nachos. They were some of the only metalhead looking dudes in a crowd full of middle aged hardcore bros and hipsters. Weekend Nachos came up really fast, and their singer (John, I believe his name is?) was really surprised at the turnout; said it's one of the biggest show they've played. He kind of joked around with us, saying "This is actually our first show ever. We're a brand new band. We just put out our first demo, we have it available in the back. Please buy it." They ripped into the first notes of Hometown Hero, and the crowd that was dead and not even head bobbing for Git Some immediately erupted into a huge pit, me in it for most of the quick yet punishing set. I was unsure how to really categorize Weekend Nachos before, but now I'm convinced they're a 100% pure hardcore band. The fast parts were cool, but after about 15 or 20 seconds of that in each song, the breakdown following afterwards was insane. Tons of hXc dancing, fists being thrown, punching, etc. I loved it. They're every bit as amazing as I hoped live, and then some. I think they only played for 20 - 25 minutes at most, but I couldn't imagine their set lasting longer than that. I might have actually enjoyed 'em more than Converge. Not exactly sure of their set, I know for a fact that they started with Hometown Hero, played Old Friends Don't Mean Shit somewhere in the middle, and ended with Jock Powerviolence, but most of the set was a constant hazed whirlwind of hardcore fury. They only paused once in between songs the whole time. Absolutely amazing. And I get to see 'em again in a couple weeks with Harms Way! It was obvious a lot of people there came to see them, and that this was obviously a hometown crowd. The singer kept shoving the mic in peoples faces, lots of 'em knew all the words.

Loma Prieta was next, and I was tired as shit. My body was sore and aching. I went upstairs to sit on the chairs and watch Loma from that balcony. I really enjoyed their sound actually; kind of hard to describe. Like noisy hardcore? Yet melodic at some points. The crowd was dead for 'em except for a couple hipster kids near the front who kept jumping up and acting like they were the best thing since sliced bread. It was a nice layover between Weekend Nachos and Converge.

This is my second time seeing Converge, and I have to say that it was much, much better than my first time for some reason. I don't know if the crowd was crazier, or if I liked the set better, or the band was more spot on... but it was so awesome. Jane Doe was a great opener: as soon as it began, the pit erupted with a ton of hardcore guys just throwing down as hard as they could for the next 5 minutes, until the soft part kicks in. Going right into Dark Horse without a pause made the entire crowd get moving then, moshes erupting everywhere. The rest of the set was spot on; my only nag is that I wish they'd pull out a couple pre-Jane Doe tunes. But I can't complain; hearing a bunch of the new album live before ever hearing it recorded was cool. They said they'd definitely be back this fall in direct support for the album release. Great set, great time! I picked up a WN Jock Powerviolence crew neck sweatshirt for $20 and a Jane Doe back patch for $10; gonna try and put together a denim vest sometime this spring. Converge had 3 or 4 new shirt designs with sayings on the back, a hat, a Jane Doe tank top, some smaller patches (no Jane Doe small patches), stickers, and most of their albums available on CD. They used to have a bunch of Vinyl for sale too, but it all sold out earlier on the tour. Loma Prieta had a bunch of shirts for sale and their new album on vinyl, all for $15 each. Weekend Nachos, which were only on this date of the tour, had the sweatshirt, a couple albums on vinyl, and a couple shirts for sale, including one that said pretty big on the back "DESTROY THE CHRISTIAN RIGHT" Great show overall.

Converge set:

Jane Doe
Dark Horse
Heartache
Empty on the Inside (new)
Aimless Arrow (new)
Reap What You Sow
Cutter
Worms Will Feed
Eagles Become Vultures
No Light Escapes (new)
Hell to Pay
Thaw
Shame In The Way (new)
Plagues
Axe To Fall
The Broken Vow
First Light/Last Light
--------
Concubine

Last edited by jd091; 04-09-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:12 AM
N00B

I have to say, in terms of song selection this is probably the most dynamic set I've ever seen Converge play. Lots of slow burners and mid-paced stuff to break up all the fast numbers. Plus, they didn't overdo the new songs and made sure to scatter them around the classics. Very well-structured show.

I'm still surprised by how frequently they reach for Jane Doe material these days over You Fail Me and No Heroes. While I do think JD is the better album, I would have sacrificed one or two of the songs to hear "Black Cloud" or "No Heroes." Still, pretty hard to complain about a Converge show!

The set list looks pretty close. Couple minor things: the new song is "Aimless Arrow," and I know they played "Eagles Become Vultures" somewhere in the middle of the set. Maybe after "Worms Will Feed" or "Hell to Pay?" I could swear it was after one of the slower songs.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by False_Light View Post
The set list looks pretty close. Couple minor things: the new song is "Aimless Arrow," and I know they played "Eagles Become Vultures" somewhere in the middle of the set. Maybe after "Worms Will Feed" or "Hell to Pay?" I could swear it was after one of the slower songs.
Thanks; I was unsure of that was in the set or not looking back. I'll throw it in.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Nice, you guys got "Eagles Become Vultures", I would have liked to hear that one. Glad to see you had an awesome time like I did last week!

I'm definitely going to check Weekend Nachos out sometime, your description of their show intrigues me.
7/30 - Counterparts/Hundredth

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 04-09-2012, 08:30 PM
N00B

dang Weekend Nachos playing w/ Converge, thats intence!!!
Old 04-10-2012, 04:29 AM
Metalhead.

Nice set! Shame about lack of pre-JD stuff though. It'd be a dream to see Jane Doe in its entirety one day though

Weekend Nachos too, killer show!
10/5 Beyond The Redshift
Old 04-10-2012, 08:46 AM
N00B

I'm so stoked about seeing this tomorrow! I would definitely trade Pianos Become The Teeth for Burning Love or Weekend Nachos, though.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchzer View Post
Nice set! Shame about lack of pre-JD stuff though. It'd be a dream to see Jane Doe in its entirety one day though

Weekend Nachos too, killer show!
Yeah, Jane Doe live might have actually been the highlight of the set for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autojector View Post
I'm so stoked about seeing this tomorrow! I would definitely trade Pianos Become The Teeth for Burning Love or Weekend Nachos, though.
Without a doubt. I'd like to see PBTT someday, but Weekend Nachos are just so much more fun live.

Tags
converge, loma prieta, weekend nachos