Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 04-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by street_burial View Post
Bloodbath- The Fathomless Mastery (2008)

One of the few Death Metal albums that I consider perfect. Armed with the expected modernized Stockholm buzz and rumble as well as Mikael Åkerfeldt’s absolutely perfect growl, The Fathomless Mastery highlights the bands perfect mix of classic, malevolent moodiness of (early) Entombed/Grave and Dismember inspired death metal flocked with just enough Floridian technicality and time changes to make it more than a pure homage. All members of Bloodbath perform with a passion and precision that only veterans of the scene and lovers of the genre could do, managing to make the Stockholm sound come across with a new found intensity and tightness while still culling all the genre’s best traits. The Fathomless Mastery is a masterpiece. Plain and simple.

Favorite Tracks:

Drink From The Cup Of Heresy

Process Of Disillumination

Hades Rising

Mock The Cross

First Bloodbath album I ever bought and heard.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Hell Bent for Liquor

Bestial Machinery is a fun record. Not a huge fan of straight-up grind, but when I'm in the mood for it that one hits the spot.

Never actually listened to Watain, although it's been on my to-do list for quite some time. I'll try to make time for it this week.

Probably not gonna bother with the other one. Sorry
01.27 Dark Tranquillity
Old 04-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Hell Bent for Liquor

Oh, and The Fathomless Mastery... fucking awesome record
01.27 Dark Tranquillity
Old 04-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Bitch, shut up and blast beat my meat like a Pete Sandoval with titties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
I actually like these types of lists; keep it going! Need to listen to more Agoraphobic Nosebleed definitely.
well I'm gonna post about 4 or more tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmetal108 View Post
First Bloodbath album I ever bought and heard.
Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epidemic Reign View Post
Bestial Machinery is a fun record. Not a huge fan of straight-up grind, but when I'm in the mood for it that one hits the spot.

Never actually listened to Watain, although it's been on my to-do list for quite some time. I'll try to make time for it this week.

Probably not gonna bother with the other one. Sorry
The thing with Bestial Machinery is that since it has so many songs, they tend to run together which is a downfall, But I don't mind it too much.

You need to get on that shit!

It's okay. Mainstream rock isn't for most people on this board, but there are a few who should enjoy that album.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:31 PM

Corrosion Of Conformity- America's Volume Dealer (2000)

America's Volume Dealer was COC's first album in 4 years since their mighty Wiseblood album. So I do expect some changes to be had, although I wasn't quite sure what direction they would be heading in. This album ends up being many different types of music and varieties and that's why I think some people don't like this. This album has many different elements in it, because a song or two are indeed soft and some are very rockish. People just never seem to give this album a fair chance mainly because it's not heavy enough for the population. Peppers vocals kept getting stronger and stronger with every release and this is no exception as the vocals really shine on this. I've loved this album since I first heard it when it came out. The musicianship is superb and the production is top notch as well. This is an album that is easy to get into, cruisin music, drinking music, or fucking music, this album pretty much suits all your needs. They still have their own unique crazy style that's groovy as hell. A great and memorable album that I wish to see one day performed in full

Favorite Tracks:

Diablo Blvd.

Who's Got The Fire

Over Me

Zippo
Old 04-02-2012, 08:48 PM

Opeth- Damnation (2003)

This wasn’t a huge surprise. Opeth has included acoustic portions into their songs since the dawn of creation, so an entire album built upon this innovation was nearly inevitable. I wasn’t shocked, and neither should you! Any idiot who thinks this isn’t ‘metal enuff, d00d!” has clearly missed the point, or just cannot process forewarning and other forms of syndicated information. Opeth said themselves that this was to be a clean acoustic album, hence, it’s a clean acoustic album. The lack of distortion and growls throughout Damnation should go without saying. But anyway. If you’ve heard Blackwater Park, this album has the same approach as the track Harvest. It’s slow paced folk-ish soft rock with humming guitars and a few keyboard moments with minimal drumming and soft vocals. Song lengths are much shorter than on previous albums, which really doesn’t bother me, as the songs don’t drag on too much here. There are a few songs on here that follow a typical verse-chorus-verse pattern, and some that remind me of sludge style doom metal. In fact, although it has a rock basis, it’s focus is on longing, sadness, and flat out misery. Imagine if Grief had a different vocalist and forgot to turn on the distortion. It’s good, just different. If you do take a liking to this, don't expect to put it down anytime soon. It's addictive and just so atmospheric. All of that being said. Aside from this album I highly dislike Opeth. I put this album into the same category as Agalloch, Alcest, Les Discretes, Swallow The Sun, etc..

Favorite Tracks:

Death Whispered A Lullaby

Hope Leaves

In My Time Of Need

To Rid The Disease
Old 04-02-2012, 09:35 PM

Agalloch- Ashes Against The Grain (2006)

Sort of a track by track review on this one. Ashes Against The Grain continues exactly the path which was forged with the previous 2 albums, moreover, this one is more metallic than The Mantle was. The album unites elements of Black Metal, doom metal and folk music. Harmonious dark riffs, sometimes still reminding me the Brave Murder Day/Discouraged Ones period of Katatonia fused with strong and melodic leads sauced by unique vocal parts, both harsh and melodic ones. The first song begins with a weeping tune, which reminds me of My Dying Bride’s grief-stricken guitar leads, and after a few minutes turns into a monumental part. Second song starts very dynamic bringing excellent riffs and beautiful acoustic breaks. A very well-assembled and memorable song. After 20 minutes comes the 3rd song, a short interlude, which is only made of a few resonating notes and a dreary industrial noise in the background, showing new nuances of the band. Fire Above, Ice Below is the longest track, and has everything which makes Agalloch only one of its kind. Many acoustic dreamy folk parts, a sad and warm voice, crescendo drumming, gradually growing into more epic parts, then the metal riffs in the last part of the song are surprisingly sustained by a U2-type of rock drumming. Next song – Not Unlike The Waves - has the heaviest riffs, but also the most beautiful acoustic moments and clean vocals. The last part of the album is the “Our Fortress Is Burning” trilogy with all the 3 tracks spinning around the same musical theme. Part I is totally acoustic, part II is a prog-rock/post-rock song with Black Metal vocals, while part III is unexpectedly a drone/noise/ambient track. I owe Wine and Slap for introducing me to Agalloch back in 2010 and I'm damn glad that they did.

Favorite Tracks:

Falling Snow

Fire Above, Ice Below

Limbs

Our Fortress is Burning... II - Bloodbirds
Old 04-02-2012, 09:57 PM
That Guy

Although I haven't mentioned it before. I really like your reviews of these awesome albums. Detailed and well worked out.

Keep up the great stuff man.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:24 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by street_burial View Post
Agalloch- Ashes Against The Grain (2006)

Sort of a track by track review on this one. Ashes Against The Grain continues exactly the path which was forged with the previous 2 albums, moreover, this one is more metallic than The Mantle was. The album unites elements of Black Metal, doom metal and folk music. Harmonious dark riffs, sometimes still reminding me the Brave Murder Day/Discouraged Ones period of Katatonia fused with strong and melodic leads sauced by unique vocal parts, both harsh and melodic ones. The first song begins with a weeping tune, which reminds me of My Dying Bride’s grief-stricken guitar leads, and after a few minutes turns into a monumental part. Second song starts very dynamic bringing excellent riffs and beautiful acoustic breaks. A very well-assembled and memorable song. After 20 minutes comes the 3rd song, a short interlude, which is only made of a few resonating notes and a dreary industrial noise in the background, showing new nuances of the band. Fire Above, Ice Below is the longest track, and has everything which makes Agalloch only one of its kind. Many acoustic dreamy folk parts, a sad and warm voice, crescendo drumming, gradually growing into more epic parts, then the metal riffs in the last part of the song are surprisingly sustained by a U2-type of rock drumming. Next song – Not Unlike The Waves - has the heaviest riffs, but also the most beautiful acoustic moments and clean vocals. The last part of the album is the “Our Fortress Is Burning” trilogy with all the 3 tracks spinning around the same musical theme. Part I is totally acoustic, part II is a prog-rock/post-rock song with Black Metal vocals, while part III is unexpectedly a drone/noise/ambient track. I owe Wine and Slap for introducing me to Agalloch back in 2010 and I'm damn glad that they did.

Favorite Tracks:

Falling Snow

Fire Above, Ice Below

Limbs

Our Fortress is Burning... II - Bloodbirds
Cool review. I think I might like the Mantle slightly more... it's usually whatever one I listened to last.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
Although I haven't mentioned it before. I really like your reviews of these awesome albums. Detailed and well worked out.

Keep up the great stuff man.
Thanks. I thought this isn't something I should half-ass like I did my year-end list last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Cool review. I think I might like the Mantle slightly more... it's usually whatever one I listened to last.
As much as I love The Mantle, AATG was the first album I had listened to by them and it started my love for this band.