Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- November 21st, 2014

Old 03-26-2012, 02:59 AM
Give Me A Dollar or Give Me Fifty Cents!

Van Halen -- Atlantic City, NJ -- March 24th, 2012

First the set lists and then my review (if you care).

Kool & The Gang (19:25-20:15)

Intro
Fresh
Tonight's The Night
Emergency
Misled
Too Hot
Hollywood Swinging
Jungle Boogie
Ladies Night
Get Down On It
Celebration

------------------------------------

Van Halen (21:00-22:50)

Unchained
Runnin' With The Devil
She's The Woman
The Full Bug
Tattoo
Everybody Wants Some
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
China Town
Hear About It Later
Pretty Woman
Drum Solo
You Really Got Me
The Trouble With Never
Dance The Night Away
I'll Wait
Hot For Teacher
Women In Love
Outta Love Again
Beautiful Girls
Ice Cream Man
Panama
Eddie Van Halen solo (Eruption)
Ain't Talkin' Bout Love
Jump

------------------------------------

I've been a Van Halen fan for over 30 years and believe it or not this was my first time seeing them live. Excellent show! Yeah sure, Dave can't scream or hit the high notes any longer but he is still the ultimate frontman. And what can you say about the great Eddie Van Halen. Still at the top of his game!

The show was at a cavernous monstrosity located on the Boardwalk in scary-ass Atlantic City. I've been to many shows in AC, usually at the House Of Blues, but never one at this giant venue. My seats were actually pretty good and I paid half of what people that were located much further away from the stage paid. I was on the side of stage on Eddie's side. Excellent view!

Kool & The Gang took the stage 5 minutes early at 7:25pm. They played for about 50 minutes and I knew every song. I would classify myself as a casual fan. I had a couple of their records as a kid and I still do today. They put on a fun and very entertaining show. When they took the stage the venue was probably less than 1/4 full but by the time they were done it was packed and most people were clapping and dancing along. Despite the naysayers I think Kool & The Gang is an excellent opener for Van Halen. They are funky and have a bit of rock in their music too, in case you were unaware. Definitely show up early and check them out.

After a 45 minute wait Van Halen took the stage at 9:00pm exactly. Having "Unchained" as the opening tune is perfect in my book. It kicks things off just right. The first half of the show contained the 4 tunes they played from their excellent new record. Of these 4, I think "She's The Woman" got the best response from the crowd. In my opinion, "China Town" was the best of the new ones performed.

The 2nd half of the show was all hits like "Hot For Teacher" and "Dance The Night Away" and a few album cuts like "Outta Love Again" and "Women In Love." Eddie also performed his solo, including some of "Eruption." And Dave played acoustic guitar and told stories about his dogs and told some jokes, which lead into "Ice Cream Man." And of course the night was capped off with "Jump" as Dave waved the checkered flag signaling the end of the show.

A fantastic show and well worth the $75 I paid for a ticket. The entire band sounded phenomenal! Go see them if you can!

Here are a few pics I took:

Steve Hackett - 11/20
Living Colour - 12/1
Cat Stevens - 12/4
Old 03-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Headbanger

Awesome review man. My buddy hooked me up with a ticket for Wednesday and I'm jakked. My story is very similar to yours. Been a fan for 30 years and never seen them live. I almost saw them in high school on the 1984 tour but I hated Jump so much at that time and they had REO Fagwagon opening. I was very closed minded then and was immersed in Priest and Maiden so I skipped that show. Had I known they were going to break up a few months later I surely would have gone.

One of the coolest things about this site is I totally forgot the song Women in Love. Seeing the setlists on here I rediscovered it and love it. Add that to the great songs off the new cd and this is going to be one for the annals.

Also I'm on Eddie's side too so that is the icing on the cake...
1/28 - Machine Head
Old 03-26-2012, 10:04 PM
I am not a N00B, I am a free man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
REO Fagwagon
Really? Are you sure you're an adult?

12/08 - Opeth / In Flames / Red Fang
Old 03-26-2012, 10:12 PM

Getting pretty stoked to see them in May. Been liking the set.

Tags
van halen