Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014
Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014
Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014
Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 03-23-2012, 03:12 PM
...So let the children come to me, their mother loves me so shall they...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
They have a bunch of stuff for decent price on Amazon.

As for downloading, I saw a lot of people saying that they couldn't find it to download anywhere, but I found it on some site like 3 or 4 years ago.
Cirith Ungol are fantastic. I just have one of their CDs though and its not this one.
A Broken Team
No Word Said
A Silent Vow
We Loved You Then
We Love You Now
Old 03-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Four graves...

Artist: Make Them Suffer
Album: Lord of Woe
Genre: Blackened / Symphonic Deathcore
Release Date: 2010

I know, I know, it's deathcore, but hear me out. This is only a five song EP and I would rank this miles above any other deathcore album that I've heard, with the exception of one. Now, the keyboards and symphonic elements aren't just there so they can call themselves a symphonic band or whatever, they completely add a new element to the music, even chilling at times and beautiful at others. The vocals are just amazing, imho. The vocalist utilizes some classic death growls and his highs are just tortured black metal screams from the depths of hell that fit the music so well. And the drums...so many blast beats! The breakdowns are ridiculously heavy as well and not so abundant that it takes away from the song. It's hard to believe that this band has escaped recognition for so long. They just got signed to Roadrunner Records Australia about a month ago and their full length is slated to come out this year, I believe. They're also releasing a music video for a new song on April 1 that I am beyond excited for. If you have ever liked any deathcore song, ever, then check this band out. The standout tracks are all of them. So, in summation: I AM YOUR FUCKING END!!!

Weeping Wastelands

Lord of Woe

Maelstrom(Single that they released last year that is definitely worth mentioning.)

...Deal with it.
4/26 Possessed ?
4/27 Iron Reagan ?
5/3 Chthonic ?
5/3 Sadistic Intent
Old 03-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Four graves...

Artist: Chthonic
Album: Mirror of Retribution
Genre: Melodic Black Metal
Release Date: 2009

I love the gimmick of putting folksy shit in your music. I'll say that now. That's something I've always liked about folk metal bands and bands like Nile and Melechesh. This album is different from a lot of those types of albums because you don't often get an oriental feel to your albums, but that is what this band delivers on. I feel that Chthonic are a fresh breath of air in a genre that can sometimes feel a bit stale. Don't get me wrong, I love my Mayhem and Emperor, but there's something refreshing about hearing oriental music fused into my blistering black metal. The album does seem to drag on a bit after track 8, but what can ya do? I love me some tortured black metal sceeches and the vocalist does it so well in songs like "Hearts Condemned." Also, when talking about this band, the guitarist doesn't get mentioned enough, but he is a damn good guitarist. The riffs are really strong and catchy on this album and he even throws in a few sweet solos in case you were doubting him. Although the riffs sound a bit more mainstream-y then what I'm used to in black metal, but I'm not complaining. When I saw them live, they upstaged all the other bands they were with (Arch Enemy, DevilDriver and Skeletonwitch) and watching the vocalist, Freddy, play the hena was pretty magical. The standout tracks to me are "Hearts Condemned," "Sing-Ling Temple" and "Forty-Nine Theurgy Chains."

Forty-Nine Theurgy Chains

Sing-Ling Temple
4/26 Possessed ?
4/27 Iron Reagan ?
5/3 Chthonic ?
5/3 Sadistic Intent
Old 03-26-2012, 04:14 AM
Four graves...

Artist: Torture Killer
Album: Swarm!
Genre: Death Metal
Release Date: 2006

This rivals any of Cannibal Corpse's first four albums as the best thing that Chris Barnes has ever done. He joined Finnish death metallers Torture Killer for this one album and it is just top notch. This album would probably land somewhere in my top 20 death metal albums of all time. The album starts off with a part instrumental track (the only lyric is swarm) aptly titled "Swarm!" that literally (to me at least) sounds like a swarm of bees attacking during the guitar solo. The track "Forever Dead" is very reminiscent of "Stripped, Raped and Strangled" by Cannibal Corpse in the first few verses of the song. The album continues with fast paced songs with really catchy choruses and doesn't let up the whole way through. If you're a fan of old school death metal at all, definitely check out this record. The Standout tracks are "Swarm!," "Forever Dead," "Multiple Counts of Murder" and "Cannibal Gluttony."

Forever Dead

Multiple Counts of Murder
4/26 Possessed ?
4/27 Iron Reagan ?
5/3 Chthonic ?
5/3 Sadistic Intent
Old 03-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:

Artist: Chthonic
Album: Mirror of Retribution
Genre: Melodic Black Metal
Release Date: 2009

I love the gimmick of putting folksy shit in your music. I'll say that now. That's something I've always liked about folk metal bands and bands like Nile and Melechesh. This album is different from a lot of those types of albums because you don't often get an oriental feel to your albums, but that is what this band delivers on. I feel that Chthonic are a fresh breath of air in a genre that can sometimes feel a bit stale. Don't get me wrong, I love my Mayhem and Emperor, but there's something refreshing about hearing oriental music fused into my blistering black metal. The album does seem to drag on a bit after track 8, but what can ya do? I love me some tortured black metal sceeches and the vocalist does it so well in songs like "Hearts Condemned." Also, when talking about this band, the guitarist doesn't get mentioned enough, but he is a damn good guitarist. The riffs are really strong and catchy on this album and he even throws in a few sweet solos in case you were doubting him. Although the riffs sound a bit more mainstream-y then what I'm used to in black metal, but I'm not complaining. When I saw them live, they upstaged all the other bands they were with (Arch Enemy, DevilDriver and Skeletonwitch) and watching the vocalist, Freddy, play the hena was pretty magical. The standout tracks to me are "Hearts Condemned," "Sing-Ling Temple" and "Forty-Nine Theurgy Chains."

Forty-Nine Theurgy Chains

Sing-Ling Temple
I fucking love this album. It's very original, and the unusual instrumentation sounds right at home.

Nice assessment.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:28 PM
though the vocals can be a little to extreme for me some times

Quote:

This rivals any of Cannibal Corpse's first four albums as the best thing that Chris Barnes has ever done. He joined Finnish death metallers Torture Killer for this one album and it is just top notch. This album would probably land somewhere in my top 20 death metal albums of all time. The album starts off with a part instrumental track (the only lyric is swarm) aptly titled "Swarm!" that literally (to me at least) sounds like a swarm of bees attacking during the guitar solo. The track "Forever Dead" is very reminiscent of "Stripped, Raped and Strangled" by Cannibal Corpse in the first few verses of the song. The album continues with fast paced songs with really catchy choruses and doesn't let up the whole way through. If you're a fan of old school death metal at all, definitely check out this record. The Standout tracks are "Swarm!," "Forever Dead," "Multiple Counts of Murder" and "Cannibal Gluttony."

Forever Dead

Multiple Counts of Murder
Gonna check this out.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:54 PM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

The 2 songs of Torture Killers are great !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 03-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Four graves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
I fucking love this album. It's very original, and the unusual instrumentation sounds right at home.

Nice assessment.
Yeah, this album is just so great.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmetal108 View Post
Gonna check this out.
Definitely do, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMaiden View Post
The 2 songs of Torture Killers are great !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Glad you liked it!
4/26 Possessed ?
4/27 Iron Reagan ?
5/3 Chthonic ?
5/3 Sadistic Intent
Old 03-27-2012, 12:44 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:

Artist: Benighted
Album: Icon
Genre: Deathgrind / Tech Death
Release Date: 2007

I've already seen this band mentioned in some old thread that I was checking out, but dammit, that's just not enough. This band is technical, grindy amazingness and this album is by far their best. Songs like "Grind Wit" are just all over the place with in your face brutality to a melodic breakdown to a French rap verse (I know, right?). The vocalist encorporates a bunch of different vocal types in here using death growls, grindcore screeches and a few pig squeals here and there. The con of this album is that most of the good tracks are at the beginning and it begins to lose momentum a bit towards the end, with the exception of track 10, "Invoxhate." Also, there's an undeniable hardcore influence, which may lose some, but I personally like it. The whole band are really talented musicians and I think that you should check them out if you haven't. The standout tracks to me are "Grind Wit", "Slut" and "Invoxhate."

Grind Wit

Slut
FUCK. YES.

On of my top death metal albums. Such variety and brute!

03/08-Suffocation (?)
04/04-Kataklysm, Aborted (?)
04/05-Biohazard, Sworn Enemy (?)
Old 03-27-2012, 12:49 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:

This rivals any of Cannibal Corpse's first four albums as the best thing that Chris Barnes has ever done. ]
That's one bold ass motherfuckin statement, MF. Will have to check this one out. One thing real quick, though. I'm a fan of SFU's 13 (released in '05). Even though I do like it, Barnes' voice was shit at this point, so I can't imagine it will sound better vocal-wise than '13'. Is he somehow able to overcome?

Just wondering. Won't be able to check till later, can't do YT at work.

03/08-Suffocation (?)
04/04-Kataklysm, Aborted (?)
04/05-Biohazard, Sworn Enemy (?)