Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 03-23-2012, 11:15 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Gojira -- Toronto, Ontario -- May 8th, 2009

Gojira
Support: the Chariot, Car Bomb
Date: May 8th, 2009
Venue: the Mod Club Theatre in Toronto, Ontario

I’ve been finding a lot of setlists from shows I’ve been to on the past so I decided to post them. Some of them are with the help of setlist.fm, but these aren’t just me ripping setlists and posting them (that would be too easy). These are all shows I’ve been to and have stories to tell.

I’d never been to the Mod Club; it was actually a really nice venue. Small enough with really good sound. Car Bomb was out first and I hadn’t heard of them in years. I remembered the song M^6 from what seemed like five years before this show, but apparently it was only two years earlier. Whatever, they were okay live. The bass player was cool and had a great Mr. Bungle shirt on. I only knew the song M^6 because the singer announced it, otherwise it would've sounded exactly like everything else they played.

The Chariot I’d only heard of and I’d only heard that they were a metalcore band so I wasn’t looking forward to them at all. Then they started playing. I don’t know who told me they were metalcore but I’ll never listen to them again. Within three minutes of their first song the singer was crowd surfing, the bass player was throwing his bass around and guitar players were just making feedback. As someone who appreciates feedback I thought it was fucking awesome. I’ve never seen the Dillinger Escape Plan or GWAR so this was the craziest thing I’ve seen in my life. And it continued for close to a half hour with the odd song here and there. The show finished with the band getting rid of all their gear and taking the drummers kit apart as he was still playing the last song. It was just a cool performance that caught me totally off guard. I didn’t know any of their songs at the time but they opened with Back to Back (I only know this because the singer announced it), Evolve: and finished the set with Daggers.

I didn’t realize how big Gojira were until this show. The Mod Club is a small place, maybe 400 capacity, but it was packed for this show. There were quite a few posers there who really only wanted to see them finger tap all their riffs. That sounds pretty stupid but it is true that they finger tap a lot. Why you’d go to see a band do just that, I don’t know. I could care a less that they finger tap, I just like them. They were really good but lost me whenever they played anything from before From Mars to Sirius. The older material, it’s just not that good. I was really hoping too that they’d open with the Art of Dying. That song has one of my favorite riffs of all time at the beginning and would just floor everything. But Oroborus was an obvious choice. Thankfully they did play the Art of Dying later in the set. Global Warming would’ve been cool too but what are you gonna do. They were awesome but the Chariot honestly stole the show.

Gojira
1. Oroborus 

2. The Heaviest Matter of the Universe 

3. Backbone 

4. Love 

5. From the Sky 

6. A Sight to Behold 

7. The Art of Dying 

(Drum Solo) 

8. Clone 

9. Flying Whales 

10. Toxic Garbage Island 

11. The Way of All Flesh 

Encore:
12. Vacuity

The night came to a sour end as I walked to my car. The Mod Club is in an Italian district of Toronto, and this was a Friday night. So I must have walked by twenty clubs blasting techno beats on the way. Outside one club I had about eleven Jersey Shores start sassing me, calling me a fag, making fun of my Carcass shirt and the bandage on my arm (I’d gotten a tattoo earlier that day), doing what guys like that do. One or two of them I may have said something back. But there were eleven of them; I was by myself. What could I do, I just had to walk away. It was too bad that a great evening had to end like that.
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-23-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

I can't remember why I missed that tour when it came here, but it was definitely a mistake.
7/30 - Counterparts/Hundredth

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 03-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

The vocalist for The Chariot is the original vocalist for Norma Jean. He sang on their first (best) album.
08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 03-23-2012, 02:04 PM
not the mama

I think The Art of Dying would make the perfect closer to a show, rather than an opener.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:06 PM
...So let the children come to me, their mother loves me so shall they...

Brilliant set

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredFlame View Post
I think The Art of Dying would make the perfect closer to a show, rather than an opener.
Agreed.
A Broken Team
No Word Said
A Silent Vow
We Loved You Then
We Love You Now
Old 03-23-2012, 04:30 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredFlame View Post
It's such a great song that just playing it is awesome.
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation
Old 03-23-2012, 06:10 PM
N00B

Great setlist, but with Gojira anything they play will be great. Me and some friends were thinking of going to the Chicago show on this tour, but we didn't, probably because of school, or because we were lame, idk. I ended up seeing them in Milwaukee later in the year on an off date opening for Metallica, which was one of the best shows I have ever seen. It was a small bar, no rail, with probably about 200-300 people there, and an even better setlist. I'm jealous that you got Sight To Behold and From The Sky.
9/13 - Samhain
Old 03-23-2012, 07:53 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

The Chariot is fucking awesome live. Saw 'em headline earlier this year, but they only played a 30 minute set.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:50 PM
I can't stop thinking big

I've been on a Gojira binge lately. Here's hoping they come back to the States soon.
7/18 - Iron Maiden/Alice Cooper
Old 03-24-2012, 03:47 PM
How're yeh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
The Chariot is fucking awesome live. Saw 'em headline earlier this year, but they only played a 30 minute set.
They are not awesome live, at all. It's just noise, and even more noise with their, erm, 'singer' screaming into a megaphone, into the microphone. But we've been through this before.

Tags
car bomb, gojira, the chariot