Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 03-21-2012, 05:33 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

Artist: Arkona (Аркона)
Album: Goy, Rode, Goy!
Genre: Pagan / Folk Metal
Release Date: 2009

Again, I've seen this mentioned on here, but not nearly enough. This album is top of the game in the folk metal department. I saw this band back in November open for Korpiklaani and I went into that show really liking Arkona, but I left absolutely loving Arkona! From the vocalist, Masha, who was wearing a damn wolf pelt to their Ron Jeremy look-alike bassist, everything was spot on. Anyway, focusing on the album, it's pretty much become my standard for folk metal. I like how it really goes from being bouncy and folky to so fucking heavy completely seemlessly. For example, "Goi, Rode, Goi!" starts out with a little Oceanic Ambiance to something heavy as hell and culminates into some tribal sounding chants. I usually hate when bands slow it down mid-album for some emotional, melancholic song, but the one on this album, Liki Bessmertnykh Bogov, is such a great song. This band just really knows what they're doing and I'm glad that they're finally getting some American exposure. The standout tracks for me are "Goi, Rode, Goi!", "Yarilo" and "Arkona."

Fun Fact: You could actually say that they got some U.S. exposure when their song "Yarilo" was featured in a St. Patrick's Day episode (Season 6, Episode 19) of The Office.

Goi, Rode, Goi!

Yarilo
9/12-14 Riot Fest
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
9/27 Blood Feast

Last edited by kalfitegrdan; 03-22-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:32 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
I've never heard of this. I'll have to check it out.

BTW, this looks like it has the potential to be a very interesting thread. (*bookmarks*)
Thanks, man!
Shit though. Pressure's on.
9/12-14 Riot Fest
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
9/27 Blood Feast
Old 03-22-2012, 05:59 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

Artist: Carnal Decay
Album: Chopping Off the Head
Genre: Brutal Death Metal
Release Date: 2008

This band is coming over to that States from Switzerland to do a bunch of summer death fests (much to my chagrin, CIM isn't one of them) and I haven't seen anyone react to that the way that they should, so these guys are my next write-up. So, about two years ago I was doing some late night Youtubing and randomly found this video on a related video to some shit like Alf playing the drums to a Carcass song and have been a fan of this band since. If I had to describe this album in one word, it would be: Intense. The brutality in this album is just seemingly unrelenting. They'll slow it down a ilttle bit in songs like "One by One", but not for long dammit. An aspect to this album that some may view as a negative is the audio samples at the beginning of over half the songs on the album, but being the cinephile that I am, I enjoy it. I do really like the vocals on this album because they're actually somewhat comprehensible at a bunch of points on the album. If nothing that I just said got you, well, here's something for all you horndogs out there...the guitarist is a chick. Anyway, the standout tracks to me are "Shotgun Facelift", "Bowel Bondage" and "Mutilation is My Passion."

Shotgun Facelift

Bowel Bondage (Youtube only had a really shitty quality version of this song)
9/12-14 Riot Fest
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
9/27 Blood Feast
Old 03-22-2012, 06:13 PM
#Controversial

Good shit, sounds like a cross between Disgorge and Dying Fetus
Old 03-22-2012, 06:36 PM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

interesting thread !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 03-23-2012, 03:44 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicbrian666 View Post
Good shit, sounds like a cross between Disgorge and Dying Fetus

Quote:
interesting thread !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Thanks!
9/12-14 Riot Fest
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
9/27 Blood Feast
Old 03-23-2012, 04:09 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Artist: Dawn of Ashes
Album: The Crypt Injection
Genre: Aggrotech / Dark Electro
Release Date: 2007

Black metal vocals + Club music + Horror movies = This band in a nutshell. This was my very first venture into the wonderous genre of aggrotech and I still to this day love it. The whole album is basically just a whole bunch of creepy, yet infectious beats with some cool ass vocals and some samples thrown in for good measure. It's a simple as hell formula, but I can't even tell you how much I love it. After this release though they turned in to a very subpar melodic black metal band with only like one or two good songs to show from an entire album's worth of material. I got a chance to see them when they opened for Dimmu Borgir in the hopes that they'd play some of their old songs, but no such luck. It seems that they've completely abandoned their roots. Most albums of this genre tend to get boring after awhile, with the exception of one or two songs, this album keeps me thoroughly entertained and I suggest that if you like anything in the electronic genre, that you give this a try. The Standout songs to me are "Blade in the Dark", "Torture Device," "Inhuman Salvation," "Still Born Defect" and "The Crypt Injection."

A Blade in the Dark

Torture Device (The blood soaked music video)

So, there. Judge me at will. Just wait until I pull out a few of my favorite deathcore gems.
9/12-14 Riot Fest
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
9/27 Blood Feast
Old 03-23-2012, 04:34 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Artist: Cirith Ungol
Album: One Foot in Hell
Genre: Heavy Metal
Release Date: 1986

The band is named after Lord of the Rings which automatically gives them mad props in my book. This is a traditional heavy metal album through and through with galloping riffs, some kick ass (albeit unique) high vocals and shredding solos. This band is definitely influenced heavily by the NWOBHM style, but they're from California. The vocals, to me, sound a bit dirtier than in most albums of the genre, if you know what I mean, and I'm pretty sure the production in the reason for that and I personally like it. One of the main reasons that I love this album is that it's so damn catchy. Everything from the riffs to the choruses is memorable. And Jerry Fogle (RIP) just shreds it up with some really great solos, which is something coming from me because I usually don't like solos too much. Anyway, this is definitely something to check out for all you classic metalheads. The standout tracks to me are "Chaos Descends," "Nadsokor," "100 MPH" and "War Eternal."

Nadsokor

100 MPH
9/12-14 Riot Fest
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
9/27 Blood Feast
Old 03-23-2012, 06:59 AM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

Cirith Ungol is awesome, though it is a damn shame I can't find their stuff anywhere
Old 03-23-2012, 02:23 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post
Cirith Ungol is awesome, though it is a damn shame I can't find their stuff anywhere
They have a bunch of stuff for decent price on Amazon.

As for downloading, I saw a lot of people saying that they couldn't find it to download anywhere, but I found it on some site like 3 or 4 years ago.
9/12-14 Riot Fest
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
9/27 Blood Feast