Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 03-16-2012, 08:56 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Yeah, AAL was sick. I definitely liked the S/T more as a whole, though.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Altars of Radness

I didn't find Weightless to be impressive at all. The songs felt like they had no direction and didn't develop into anything memorable.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:29 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
I didn't find Weightless to be impressive at all. The songs felt like they had no direction and didn't develop into anything memorable.
agreed
Old 03-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I was out of pocket all weekend spending time with my family.

Time to get back on this, and hopefully accelerate it a bit. I also have a review I'm almost ready to write for Koloss, so it looks like I'll be busy this week...
Old 03-20-2012, 02:28 PM

51. American Heritage - Sedentary

So the hint for this one may have been a little misleading, if not vague. I implied that the album has “Leviathan-era Mastodon songs made in 2011” on it, and indeed, I think it does (witness tracks such as “Chaotic Obliteration”). However, there’s a whole lot more going on here than just that. For example, the vocals on this album are reminiscent of those of Black Cobra’s Jason Landrian, but speaking of that band, it’s the drummer for that group (Rafael Martinez) who actually appears on the album, playing bass on a few tracks. Speaking of guest bassists, the band also enlisted the likes of Bill Kelliher of the aforementioned Mastodon (who released a split with American Heritage in 2003), as well as the album’s ubiquitous producer Sanford Parker for bass guitar duties (since they didn’t have a full-time bassist at the time of recording). Some members of this band are from the Chicago area, and some are from the Gainesville / Atlanta area. Speaking of the latter, flavors which also infuse the sounds of such Georgia acts such as Kylesa and Black Tusk, who are both sludge bands at heart, but who also wear their punk influences proudly on their sleeves, are also apparent here. Last but not least, these guys have come up with some pretty interesting song titles on this album. Tracks such as “Fetal Attraction”, “Tomb Cruise”, and the slow-clap inducing “Morbid Angle” prove that while these guys are extremely serious about their commitment to kicking your ass with riff after riff after beautifully heavy, crunching riff, at the same time, they don’t take themselves that seriously at all – and that’s what makes this album so great. The band’s work ethic may indeed be fierce, but the end product – which is hewn together from the blood, sweat and tears of many an artist – seems effortless and consistent throughout.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Metal Setlists Elitist Committee

That's an album I regret not listening to sooner.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:12 PM

50. Trap Them - Darker Handcraft

So here's the grindcore album with the sweet, sweet buzzsaw guitar tone I was talking about in my hint (sorry, Streets - it ain't Wormrot). Before I listened to Sweden's Exhale a year or two ago, this was by far my favorite grind band with this type of sound. I still haven't seen them live yet, but they are still near the top of my must-see list because of how sick their guitar tone and riffs are. This album might just be their best yet, in part because of the production, which is just a bit cleaner than their other albums, while still remaining just fuzzy and dirty enough to still seem well-matched with their signature sound. The band once again owes mad props to Converge workhorse Kurt Ballou for that little favor. The thing that makes this album different from its two predecessors is that there are a few mid-tempo numbers thrown in here, and much like Finnish grindcore masters Rotten Sound did on their 2011 release, this allows that nasty guitar tone to breathe a little and become all that much more infectious. The only thing this album is lacking, if anything, is a true "holy shit" jaw-dropper such as "Fucking Viva" - but hey, you don't hear me complaining about it. Overall, this album is relentless like a pitbull and filthy like a fucking pig - just the way good grindcore should be.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:15 PM
Bitch, shut up and blast beat my meat like a Pete Sandoval with titties.

completely forgot about that album
Old 03-20-2012, 09:20 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

I always liked that album, but it could never capture my attention for more than a few minutes. I couldn't listen to it all in one sitting. Something about them is just lacking in the catchy department, in my opinion. That being said, they're great live!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:23 PM

Here are some hints for the next five:

#49 is the first of many slabs of female-fronted awesomeness to grace the Sexy Sixty this year.
#48 is a very similar album to one I just reviewed, except that it was released by Profound Lore and not Translation Loss.
#47 is the first of the plethora of old-school death metal albums released in 2011 to crack the Sexy Sixty.
#46 is a sludge / doom album by a band that I've been trying to like for a while now, and this year's release finally did it for me.
#45 is another doom album, by a band that I had never heard of before last year, and whom I'm really sorry I missed on tour in 2011.