Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014
Motley Crue -- Alpharetta, GA -- August 16th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 14th, 2014

Old 03-13-2012, 08:29 AM
...So let the children come to me, their mother loves me so shall they...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post

55. Belphegor - Blood Magick Necromance

Maybe it's my growing interest in black metal that made me take a more open-minded approach to this album, but all I know is that every other time I've tried listening to this band I have come away with a feeling of "that certainly wasn't bad, but I can't really explain why I would consider it good". Until this album. I admit that since I've never really gotten into this band, this one could be no better than all the others, or perhaps even worse, but based on other stuff I've read about it, this is one of Belphegor's best works. All I know is that, in addition to the significant black metal influence here, this album is composed of some truly brutal heavy tracks, and at times, I'm almost reminded of albums such as Nile's "Those Whom The Gods Detest" (yes, seriously). The title track is especially good, combining a brutally fast and heavy, nearly continuous blast-beat assault with some nice creepy vocal effects and other atmospheric elements to create a really memorable composition that made me sit up and take notice. Belphegor, you now have my attention.
Yep this was a great return of form for them. Glad to see this here!
A Broken Team
No Word Said
A Silent Vow
We Loved You Then
We Love You Now
Old 03-13-2012, 11:59 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
#52 - sophomore album from a super-progressive instrumental trio of musical prodigies
Animals as Leaders - Weightless?

Obviously, right? Or am I missing something?
9/6 Weekend Nachos
9/12 Sete Star Sept
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation

Last edited by kalfitegrdan; 03-13-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
maybe
^
Old 03-14-2012, 12:30 PM

53. Woods of Desolation - Torn Beyond Reason

Streets, you called it. I'm not sure how to start this off, but let's just say that if all black metal sounded like this, I probably would have gotten into the genre a long time ago. (Of course, it's actually the fact that all black metal doesn't sound like this - meaning that there's a great deal of variety in the genre - that keeps me coming back for more...but that's another subject for another thread.) Even though these cats bill themselves as "depressive black metal", the harmonies and major keys used herein give their music an almost hopeful - if not triumphant - feel at times. Plus, the musicianship is top-notch, and these guys are also big fans of the rolling triplet kick drum beats that made me a slave to Bolt Thrower's sound back in the "Realm of Chaos" days. As one reviewer put it, Woods doesn't necessarily break much new ground here, but what they do is so well-executed, it's hard not to fall in love with it. To put it another way, this is quite simply my favorite happysad black metal album of 2011, without a doubt.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:43 PM
...So let the children come to me, their mother loves me so shall they...

Quote:

Streets, you called it. I'm not sure how to start this off, but let's just say that if all black metal sounded like this, I probably would have gotten into the genre a long time ago. (Of course, it's actually the fact that all black metal doesn't sound like this - meaning that there's a great deal of variety in the genre - that keeps me coming back for more...but that's another subject for another thread.) Even though these cats bill themselves as "depressive black metal", the harmonies and major keys used herein give their music an almost hopeful - if not triumphant - feel at times. Plus, the musicianship is top-notch, and these guys are also big fans of the rolling triplet kick drum beats that made me a slave to Bolt Thrower's sound back in the "Realm of Chaos" days. As one reviewer put it, Woods doesn't necessarily break much new ground here, but what they do is so well-executed, it's hard not to fall in love with it. To put it another way, this is quite simply my favorite happysad black metal album of 2011, without a doubt.

Yep, even though this tagged as depressive bm, there was nothing depressing I found about this much like Alcest but then the latter is quite intentional
A Broken Team
No Word Said
A Silent Vow
We Loved You Then
We Love You Now
Old 03-14-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
Obviously, right? Or am I missing something?
Obviously.

52. Animals As Leaders - Weightless

OK, so here's the deal. On the one hand, I am somewhat of a sucker for progressive stuff, and even more of a sucker for extremely tight musicianship. That said, I have a very sensitive wankery meter, and one of my biggest turn-offs is when a band goes the one-trick pony route and focuses on technical chops for the sake of technical chops, without the slightest regard for groove or musical appeal. Enter AAL. Now, I'll be honest. Based on what I had heard of these guys, I figured they would be in the wankery category, and I wasn't expecting much - but then I watched their video for "Cafo" from their self-titled album. My reaction was something along the lines of, "holy fuck, are you kidding me?" My skepticism started to melt. I got a copy of the album, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Then, I started hearing early reports about this one, and again, it sounded like it might be disappointing. All I can say is, it's not. I like this album just as much as their first, if not more. The songs are truly amazing to listen to from a technical point of view (left brain), but my right brain also gets some love when I listen to this because it's catchy and interesting. This album definitely gets my head banging, and at the end of the day, that's what it's all about. Avant-garde / progressive bands who are struggling to figure out why they aren't selling a lot of albums and / or tour tickets need to pay the fuck attention to this band, because this is how über-technical progressive metal is done (bands like Behold...The Arctopus, I'm talking to you).
Old 03-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Obviously.

52. Animals As Leaders - Weightless

OK, so here's the deal. On the one hand, I am somewhat of a sucker for progressive stuff, and even more of a sucker for extremely tight musicianship. That said, I have a very sensitive wankery meter, and one of my biggest turn-offs is when a band goes the one-trick pony route and focuses on technical chops for the sake of technical chops, without the slightest regard for groove or musical appeal. Enter AAL. Now, I'll be honest. Based on what I had heard of these guys, I figured they would be in the wankery category, and I wasn't expecting much - but then I watched their video for "Cafo" from their self-titled album. My reaction was something along the lines of, "holy fuck, are you kidding me?" My skepticism started to melt. I got a copy of the album, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Then, I started hearing early reports about this one, and again, it sounded like it might be disappointing. All I can say is, it's not. I like this album just as much as their first, if not more. The songs are truly amazing to listen to from a technical point of view (left brain), but my right brain also gets some love when I listen to this because it's catchy and interesting. This album definitely gets my head banging, and at the end of the day, that's what it's all about. Avant-garde / progressive bands who are struggling to figure out why they aren't selling a lot of albums and / or tour tickets need to pay the fuck attention to this band, because this is how über-technical progressive metal is done (bands like Behold...The Arctopus, I'm talking to you).
Hell yeah . Animals As Leaders has always grabbed me for the same reasons. When you have such a great guitar player like Tosin Abasi (who is arguably the best guitarist in all of metal) it could very well be just straight wankery, but he is also a great songwriter. Weightless is without a doubt better than the s/t album. The songwriting is very much improved and the production is a lot cleaner. It also helps that this album actually he has a real band behind him instead of just computerized drums programmed by Misha Mansoor from Periphery.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 03-14-2012, 01:31 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Animals As Leaders truly are something to behold I think, as all the band members are incredible, AND they have a seriously catchy nature to their pieces, which, as you, say a lot of instrumental metal lacks, as it usually comes down to just soloing and shredding over a progression of riffs. What I really liked is the actually lack of soloing, there are solos, but their position and how often they occur on the album is unpredictable and means every bit of music was thought out precisely, and nothing is excessive, or is needlessly there.

Also, the first album wasn't recorded as a band, it was essentially just Tosin and Misha, who programmed the drums and samples and did some leads, as it was a Tosin solo album at first, but Tosin never liked the idea of it just being about him, so he formed the band for touring the first album and wrote this album with the band in mind.

Good show so far Nat, you'll have this finished just in time for the next thread to suffer
Old 03-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:

Finally, a good album

Excellent review.
8/30 Whirr
9/3 Sete Star Sept
9/19 Punch (?)
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 03-16-2012, 12:06 AM