Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014
Skid Row -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 20th, 2014
The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014

Old 02-23-2012, 07:43 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
Goddamnit, you can't be serious. I honestly didn't know his name.

That would explain though why out of all the 2011 EOY lists I saw posted on that site, the one by Chris Poling was light years better than all the others.
...as well as the fact that those reviews are so much sexier than most of the others on that site.

Not to mention the fact that the ones by "that guy" are the ones I always quote in my threads.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
So are all the reviewers for that site from Metal Set Lists?
But seriously, no. One of the most prolific reviewers on that site is not from this forum. The guy who runs it is, though (ravenheart).
Old 02-23-2012, 01:47 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
But seriously, no. One of the most prolific reviewers on that site is not from this forum.
Yeah, the one who had Nightwish and Turisas in his top 5?

He should join here.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:28 PM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

I'm gonna guess #58 is Gridlink? I'm guessing you went to MDF 2 years ago...
Old 02-27-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post
I'm gonna guess #58 is Gridlink? I'm guessing you went to MDF 2 years ago...
Nope.

Sadly, Gridlink was on the list of stuff I didn't get around to listening to enough to allow me to render an informed opinion.

I'll post the album later today, hopefully along with a few others. Sorry I've been scarce lately - it was a busy weekend. Speaking of which - my dad and I took my older son to see Monster Jam on Saturday, and it was cool as hell. It's been a long time since I've been to one of those, and it was even more fun than I remember. My son loved it. Even my dad had a blast.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:09 PM

...and of course by "later today" I meant "in twelve fucking days".

Sorry, guys. I don't know how I can expect to keep interest going in this thread if I keep going AWOL from it for days / weeks at a time, but such is the busy life of a busy metalhead / chemical engineer / father-of-two-soon-to-be-four.

Anyhoo - without further ado...here comes number 58 (and hopefully a few more).
Old 03-09-2012, 08:30 PM

58. Rotten Sound Cursed

This is the sixth studio album in this Finnish grindcore outfit's catalog, which dates back almost fifteen years (the band itself has been in existence for nearly twenty). That alone is impressive, but what's even more impressive is that, in a genre where it can be really difficult to distinguish one band's sound from another at times, Rotten Sound has managed to stay so unique and relevant for as long as they have. I am a true sucker for the buzzsaw guitar tone of bands like Dismember, and although it's somewhat rare to find that in this genre, some bands such as Trap Them and Sweden's Exhale do provide ample doses of it within their grindcore framework. So does Rotten Sound, but unlike the aforementioned bands, they aren't afraid to slow the proceedings down once in a while and let that nasty guitar tone breathe a little - and when they do, the result is just magic to this grindfan's ears. The first example of this is about fifty seconds into the album's second track "Superior" (which is to say, less than two minutes into the album as a whole). The groovy-yet-still-heavy-and-grindy-as-fuck riff found at this point is one of my most favorite musical moments of 2011 - I swear to Satan. The rest of this album just makes me smile, too. This shit is just awesome. The blood-curdling, drawn-out screams of vocalist and co-founder Keijo Niinimaa during the slower parts of this album are just bliss , and the riffs that surround them are just as awesome.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
#57 is from a side-project of a former member of one of my favorite groups from Brooklyn.
This is the hint I gave for this album, but it's technically not correct (or perhaps not complicated enough, I guess).

What I should have said is, "#57 is from the current band of a founding member of a side-project of one of my favorite groups from Brooklyn".

The "favorite group from Brooklyn" is the inimitable Made Out of Babies. The side project is the short-lived Battle of Mice, founded by MooB's Julie Christmas and Josh Graham (Neurosis, ex-Red Sparowes). His current band is, of course, the sludgy post-metal outfit A Storm of Light.

57. A Storm of Light – As The Valley Of Death Becomes Us, Our Silver Memories Fade

In trying to figure out what to say about ASoL's third album, I found myself somewhat at a loss, so I went to the band's web page hoping for a bit of inspiration. There, I read a description of the album which included a blurb about it being their "most song-oriented and most musically inclined release to date". I can relate to that. The songs aren't quite as sprawling and vast in terms of scope as the band's first two albums, but this certainly doesn't mean that they aren't as heavy. The sludgy, Neurosis-esque bottom end of ASoL's sound is still as prevalent as ever, but I suppose the song structure is a bit more traditional by comparison. Another thing I read about the album was the range of guest appearances on it. I knew that the legendary Jarboe had done some vocal work on here (found on the album's second and eighth tracks, the former of which being one of the best tracks on the album), but I didn't realize that there were also appearances by folks ranging from Kris Force (Amber Asylum), Matthias Bossi (Sleepytime Gorilla Museum/The Book Of Knots) and Carla Kihlstedt (also of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum/The Book Of Knots) to Soundgarden's Kim Thayil and even indie rock darling Nerissa Campbell (who also collaborated on ASoL's first two albums as well). At any rate, despite the ever-so-slightly-more-traditional song structure on display here, this is still a very dense album, and like its two predecessors, it requires some repeated listening in order to fully appreciate. It is yet another impressive release from a band who should probably be a hundred times more well-known than they are, but for some reason I still prefer the band's exquisitely awesome sophomore release to this one (by the way, Jarboe does some really awesome vocal work on that album as well). That said, this is still a fantastic album, and it comes highly recommended to fans of Neurosis, post-metal or sludge in general, or any of the other bands mentioned above.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:18 AM

OK, so here's another one.

56. Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee, Part 2

This is the first (but not last) non-metal record in the Sexy Sixty, and if you ask me, it's a triumphant return to form for a legendary, trend-setting band. 2007's "The Mix-Up" was interesting, and while not a rap album, had The Beastie Boys' signature all over it. I wasn't really a big fan of their releases in 1988 (Hello Nasty) and 2004 (To the 5 Boroughs), and so I'd somewhat written these guys off as a bunch of middle aged knob-twiddlers who might just end up spending the rest of their careers doing production work, collaborations with various rappers and pop stars and riding the occasional summer festival train. This album, however, proves the Beasties still have the mojo to summon the flow from back in the day. In fact, while the title of this album is "Hot Sauce Committee, Part 2", I would make a motion that perhaps it could be renamed "Ill Communication, Part 2". My only complaint is that it might be a tad too long, and it seems to lose some steam towards the end, but still, I enjoyed this album a lot more than I expected to, and I've revisited it many times with pleasure.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:07 AM
...the dead are among us!

Great selections and great write-ups as well. This thread is a treat to read, thanks Nat.
10/3 - Prosanctus Inferi / Horrendous