Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014
The Goddamn Gallows -- Long Beach, CA -- April 16th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 03-09-2012, 05:34 AM
Long live Ronnie James Dio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
I saw this tour when it came here. This was before Metallica changed the set up every night so everything is the same but instead of getting an embarassingly bad acoustic version of Motorbreath we got one of Last Carees instead. They most certainly ended the show with Creeping Death so i'm not sure why you don't remember it.

As for the acoustic version of The Four Horsemen, I don't think i've ever seen a band insult one of their classic songs more than Metallica did with this version. It was fuckin pathetic and Tony Iommi should've nailed each member of the band upside their head with his guitar for comiting such a metal sin.

I'm fine with acoustic songs if that's what the original arrangment is or if it's already a soft and slow song. That's why Low Man's Lyric worked fine that way but people were completely dumbfounded at the show when they did Horsemen like that. Hardly anybody sang along and everyone was just standing their with blank looks on their faces and thinking "what the fuck are they doing?" I'll never understand doing an acoustic version of a rocking song. The whole concept will never make sense to me.

Other than that, the show i went to was great. I don't remember how I got tickets but I know it wasn't as hard to get them as the OP said it was for him. I know I was within like the first 10 rows and during FFWF I could feel the heat from the fire pods that went off during it

I can't remember Jerry Cantrell's set but i know it was a bit different. He did Down In A Hole and Would at my show.
You can hate an acoustic rendition as much as you want, but it's not a "sin".

My album collection: http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=10683&page=16
Old 03-09-2012, 05:39 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalIsArt View Post
You can hate an acoustic rendition as much as you want, but it's not a "sin".
Playing a live acoustic version of The Four Horsemen sure as fuck is a sin in heavy metal if there ever was one. If Hetfield wants to rip through it on an acoustic in his basement, sure go ahead. If I'm paying for a ticket though, well sir, you can fuck right off with that acoustic guitar.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Playing a live acoustic version of The Four Horsemen sure as fuck is a sin in heavy metal if there ever was one. If Hetfield wants to rip through it on an acoustic in his basement, sure go ahead. If I'm paying for a ticket though, well sir, you can fuck right off with that acoustic guitar.
You don't have to tell me to fuck off because I don't have the same opinion about this. I'm not talking about the quality of the song, but about the use of an acoustic guitar.

Fade To Black gave the band their first "they sold out" moanings from fanz...

My album collection: http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=10683&page=16
Old 03-09-2012, 06:18 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
You don't have to tell me to fuck off because I don't have the same opinion about this. I'm not talking about the quality of the song, but about the use of an acoustic guitar.

He didn't tell you specifically to fuck off. I believe he was using it in referrence to Hetfield.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:47 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Fail. That would have been worth seeing without Metallica!

Although before Jerry's better solo album, but still.
Oh there's no question it was a Fail! I'm trying to recall why I missed Jerry- my guess is that I carpooled with a guy who usually wants nothing to do with opening acts. He's the kind of guy who likes to walk in right when the headliner starts. And to be fair the traffic into and out of the Manassas ampitheater is horrendous.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:14 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force10 View Post
my guess is that I carpooled with a guy who usually wants nothing to do with opening acts. He's the kind of guy who likes to walk in right when the headliner starts.
Without even checking out who the opening acts are, I bet.

23/4 Scott Stapp
24/4 MoonKings
25/4 Spirit Caravan
30/4 Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Old 03-09-2012, 09:28 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:

Yeah, I wasn't telling you to fuck off.

I am now though.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Metal-Setlistcore

Quote:
History will judge Load & Reload differently, but it bothered me that they didn't play more of both albums.
I doubt it
Old 03-09-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
I doubt it
I like certain songs on those albums very much. King Nothing, Wasting My Hate, Attitude,...

Besides, like I said before, it's cool to like Volbeat, who are now nothing more than those records with annoying vocals. But when it comes to Metallica, hypocrisy is never far away. That doesn't mean I'm a blind fanboy.

Last edited by MetalIsArt; 03-09-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:31 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
History will judge Load & Reload differently, but it bothered me that they didn't play more of both albums.
It's weird, Load and the song Until it Sleeps in particular are actually what got me into Metallica. Not because I liked the song, it was the exact opposite. I was so put off by it that it made me realize how awesome their older stuff was and then I started listening to Ride the Lightning. From that album (Load) I only liked one song, Hero of the Day (wicked song even better video) and didn't mind a few others (Bleeding Me) but found too many of the songs had riffs that were too similar and based off the basic pentatonic scale.

Then ReLoad comes out and sounds almost exactly the same in the riff and structure department and for some reason I actually really like about half of it. But then the other half was where I noticed they started to get into the habit of stretching three minute songs into seven minute songs, something they still do today.
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains
12/06 - the Music of Final Fantasy

Tags
jerry cantrell, metallica