Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Old 03-05-2012, 05:36 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Deicide -- Montreal, Quebec -- March 4th, 2012

Venue: Foufounes Électriques

I had a band rehearsal that day and the concert was starting at 7:00 pm, so I had to hurry in order to get there on time. In the end, I almost managed to: when I entered the place, Lecherous Nocturne was already playing and my friend had to buy his ticket, so we missed the first half of their set. The first thing I noticed is that they got a new vocalist and that he's not as good as the bearded behemoth that sang on their albums. He has only one style of raspy black metal vocals that didn't fit the music that much. Though, the band killed it: the complex riffs were spot on and the drumming was violent as hell. The crowd didn't seem to know them much, but most seemed to enjoy their performance.

The next band is one I always had trouble thinking of seriously, mainly because of their incapacity to settle on a particular style (their albums ranging from blackened deathcore to symphonic black metal and now to Wolves in the Throne Room-esque atmospheric black metal), but still I have to admit that the new album, Becoming, although not being that much original, was filled with quality songs. They played 3 very long songs from the new record almost without interacting with the crowd. It created a dark atmosphere, but their songs never appealed to me, so at some points I got a bit bored. Still they gave an excellent performance, much better than when I saw them open for Rotting Christ last year, and they managed to captivate the attention of most of the crowd. There weren't a lot of movement, but after the songs they got lots of applauses and screaming. Something that really made me laugh during their set is that some guy on my right was constantly doing weird gestures with an evil look in his eyes, like if he was doing some sort of satanic ritual. It was so ridiculous I couldn't keep myself from looking at him and laugh.

The band that really got things going was Jungle Rot. Their caveman groovy death metal isn't something I would regularly listen to at home, but it slayed in a live context. The slam/groove breakdowns were extremely heavy and the old-school death metal riffs were exquisitely thrashy. The pit started to look like a wrestling ring, with huge dudes slamming into eachother, it was fun to watch . The crowd really went crazy for them; everyone was headbanging, yelling, chanting and circle-piting. Also, one thing I really enjoyed about these midwest guys is that they were very sympathetic: on the oposite of Deicide, they seemed to have the time of their lives on stage and the frontman kept yelling "old school man, old school!" It was a huge death metal party and one of the most fun sets of this style of metal I have witnessed. After "Gore Bag", the crowd was chanting for them to come back, so they asked if they could play one more, and they did. I love it when bands like this one really seem to care about their fans.

At last, the band everyone was waiting for came in; the legendary Deicide. Just like when they played last year, they went on stage with their "no fuck given" attitude, just plugging their instruments in and playing. Also, they mostly played the songs they played last year (except for "Save Your", "Blame It on God" and "Oblivious to Evil" that were added and "Dead but Dreaming" that was removed). Yet, what was different from last year is that it wasn't Deicide's triumphant return to Canada after 7 years of absence anymore, so the crowd was thinner and less excited. The band line-up had also changed: Ralph Stanolla isn't in the band anymore and he was replaced by an excellent guitarist by the name of Kevin. His mastery of the solos was impressive. Speaking about technical skills, the band was tight as fuck, every riff was clean and crushing (except sometimes for Jack Owen's solos, but they were still awesome). Hearing these death metal classics once again was a treat, their songs (especially the old ones) are extremely fun live. However, the thing that bothers me about Deicide shows is that the band doesn't seem to care about being on stage. They don't move, they always waste too much time between songs and Glen Benton's interaction with the crowd (although it's funny sometimes) doesn't feel that warm. Even if the crowd's really into them, there are always discomforting moments when nothing happens and it kills the intensity of the performance; and at the end of their set it seemed like they were hurrying up to finish the two last songs because they were looking forward to get off the stage, which is waht they did without saying a word after "Oblivious to Evil". This leads me to the song selection: I believe that if they really cared about their fans, they would listen to them and play songs from Legion and at least switch up their set a bit more. Playing every song you played on the last tour is just lazy, but it still fucking Deicide. When you go to a Deicide show, you know you won't be surprised, but that you'll get a huge slab of excellent, classic death metal executed perfectly.

Lecherous Nocturne (partial)
Death Hurts Only the Living
Edict of Worms
We Are As Dust

Abigail Williams

Ascension Sickness
Infinite Fields of Mind
Beyond the Veil

Jungle Rot

Their Finest Hour
Blood Ties
Demon Souls
Worst Case Scenario
Misplaced Anger
Let Them Die
Rise Up and Revolt
Fight for Life
Strong Shall Survive
Gore Bag

------------------------

Strangulation Mutilation

Deicide

Homage for Satan
Dead by Dawn
Once Upon the Cross
Scars of the Crucifix
When Satan Rules His World
Serpents of the Light
Save Your
Hang in Agony Until You're Dead
Conviction
Blame It on God
They Are the Children of the Underworld
Death to Jesus
Witness of Death
Desecration
Into the Darkness You Go
How Can You Call Yourself A God
Kill the Christian
Suicidal Sacrifice
Lunatic of God's Creation
Oblivious to Evil

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame

Last edited by VoidFlame; 03-08-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:39 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

I'm really interested to hear how a Death Metal crowd responded to Abigail Williams given all the hate they get and the fact that they played two eleven minute songs and a seventeen minute song.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-05-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:15 PM

Review posted!

Old 03-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Thrash to Kill

What's the name of your band
Old 03-05-2012, 04:43 PM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidFlame View Post
they seemed to have the time of their lives on stage and the frontman kept yelling "old school man, old school!"
Yeah he does that a lot!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:47 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Void's review summed up most of everything, but I can add a few things.

Made the trip in record time, 77 minutes. Also got on Jungle Rot's guest list, so I saved myself some $. I always like to support the bands, but in this economy, I will gladly save $ whenever I can. Got there just before Abigail Williams set. I was interested to see how they were this time, as I know a lot of the people here like their new album. Honestly though, I thought they were boring. I don't like those long ass pretentious songs they played. A lot of the crowd seemed to like them, though. 5/10

Met up w/ my buddy Bobby who hooked me up w/ a filming pass. He had some rather unsettling news, though. When he approached Glen to ask about filming, his response was apparently barely English. Dude was hammered. Not good news. According to Steve, Glen had some serious issues w/ his voice the previous night in NYC. He decided to relax his vocal chords by getting hammered. So I was nervous..............

Jungle Rot was great. My opinion on them is much like Void's. I can't really get into them on CD, but they were great live. To repeat: the crowd was AWESOME for them. No gay arm swinging, but some serious, heavy ass moshing, Slayer pit stlye. I would describe them as Grave w/ breakdowns, if that makes sense. Really enjoyed them. Got to meet their lead singer after, and chatted w/ him for a few minutes. He was thrilled w/ how energetic the crowd was, and was really happy to be filmed. Also chatted about the difference between touring w/ other death metal acts, verses touring w/ deathcore and hardcore bands. He says they've historically won over fans at those kind of shows, cause they dig the breakdowns so much. Understandble. Real cool guy, and great live band. Vids below. 8/10

Let Them Die
Rise Up and Revolt

I continued to be more nervous after JR's set. 20 minutes had passed, and nothing. Then almost 30. Then I saw Jack Owen just to my left, and Glen Benton shortly afterwards. I was relieved. They took the stage shortly after. Agreed, not as great as last year, but it was still a good performance. The guitars sounded great, and the new guy "Kevin" did an impressive job w/ the solos. A lot of people take Glen Benton's rants personally, but I think most of them are funny. Here are a few he did:

-someone said "Fuck you", and he responded by saying "Hey, watch your mouth! Do you lick your mother's pussy w/ that mouth??!!"
-"Fuck yeah, can already smell the poutine in my shit. Fuckin cheesy gravy."
-"I have some Canada in my blood. My mother's mother was French Canadian. That explains my family's hard headedness and my brother's drinking problem." (I'm not Canadian, and can understand why some people would be offended, but I thought that was hillarious.)
-"Now that Kevin's in the band we don't have any problem's at the border."

And on a sincere note (Glen Benton? Sincere? I couldn't believe it), he said something like "We had some problems last night and feel bad about, so we're gonna make it up to you fuckers tonight." Overall I think it was a really good performance, and people can complain about the setlist being so similar, but with so many bands doing short ass headlining sets, I'm not gonna complain about an 80 minute setlist nowadays. Also, there was serious pit action for the whole set. Vids below. 8.5/10

When Satan Rules His World
Blame It On God
Sacrificial Suicide + Lunatic of God's Creation + Oblivious To Evil

Am gonn aupload another clip or 2.

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)

Last edited by hellawaits77ny; 03-05-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holy_nick1991 View Post
What's the name of your band
Tribunal, a stupid, immature, yet funky death metal band.

We're playing at the Saphir next Saturday.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post

-someone said "Fuck you", and he responded by saying "Hey, watch your mouth! Do you lick your mother's pussy w/ that mouth??!!"
-"Fuck yeah, can already smell the poutine in my shit. Fuckin cheesy gravy."
-"I have some Canada in my blood. My mother's mother was French Canadian. That explains my family's hard headedness and my brother's drinking problem." (I'm not Canadian, and can understand why some people would be offended, but I thought that was hillarious.)
-"Now that Kevin's in the band we don't have any problem's at the border."
Yeah, those were the funniest .

Old 03-06-2012, 05:23 AM
Thrash to Kill

Shit I can't make it on the 10th but I see that you're playing with Vag Scars and they're fucking awesome used to jam close to them when we use to be at cité 2000. Add me through facebouche Nicolas Grenier and invite me to your future shows I love to support the local metal I'm always at shows
Old 03-07-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holy_nick1991 View Post
Shit I can't make it on the 10th but I see that you're playing with Vag Scars and they're fucking awesome used to jam close to them when we use to be at cité 2000. Add me through facebouche Nicolas Grenier and invite me to your future shows I love to support the local metal I'm always at shows
Added you (my name's Pascal). Our next show after this one is on April 20th at Cégep St-Laurent, but it's the same night as Revocation so I won't blame any metalhead for not coming...

Tags
abigail williams, deicide, jungle rot, lecherous nocturne