KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 02-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Fucked Up -- Montreal, Quebec -- February 25th, 2012

Venue: Metropolis
Other artists playing: The Sainte Catherines, Galaxie, Boogat, Alaclair Ensemble

Last night was the annual "Nuit Blanche" ("White Night", which is an expression here meaning not to sleep through the whole night) here in Montreal. For this event, the metro is open all night long, many bars are open until 5 in the morning, and there are many free activities. One of these activities was a free show at the Metropolis organized by Bande à part, a section of Radio Canada covering underground music. The event was sponsored by Sirius/XM satellite radio, and was broadcasted live.

I arrived early at the venue to make sure I would get in, but there weren't many people waiting in line, so when the doors opened I easily managed to get a front row spot. The opening band was a surprise guest, and I was pleasantly surprised when I heard they were no other than the popular local hardcore punk band The Sainte Catherines. They were the perfect band to get things started: as soon as the first song kicked in, people started to move and scream the lyrics. I didn't expect to have pits at a free show, but they were huge. The pre-Fire Works songs were especially good live. One of the best punk bands I've seen.

The next band was the experimental punk buzz-band Fucked Up from Toronto. They played thw whole David Comes to Life album, and I have to say it was one of the best performances I've ever witnessed. Everything sounded great and the songs were perfectly executed. However, what really made the show this much fun was their singer. By the third song, he left the stage and never came back: he sang on the rail, oftenly letting fans yell the lyrics into the microphone. Many times, he also went into the crowd to sing, sometimes moshing with us, other times crowd surfing. At some point he climbed on the bar at the side of the venue, and then went up the stairs to the balcony while singing the song. His performance was a show in itself and his speeches between songs were really funny. I guess partly due to the frontman, the crowd was really into the band. At the end, there was a huge (slow) circle pit. The over 1 hour and 15 minutes album performance felt like it lasted less than 30 minutes, because they were so entertaining. My only complaint would be, that half of the time I couldn't hear the main vocals.

Then, it was time for local rising stars Galaxie. They play groovy blues-rock with some modern/electronic elements and french lyrics. For the third time of the night, my expectations were blown. The songs were far heavier than what I had heard before and the musicianship was impressive; the guitarist/vocalist and the keyboardist always bursting into bluesy solos. Also again, the crowd went crazy for them and the pits were fun as hell. For me, the highlight of the set was the instrumental song they played in the middle. It was very progressive and almost brutal; actually, it sounded like it was from Opeth's Ghost Reveries, but with more groove and a less dark atmosphere.

Next up were local rapper Boogat and québécois French rap group Alaclair Ensemble, but it was getting late (or early, actually) and I was exhausted, so I met one of my friends, went for some pizza and then headed home.

Fucked Up

Let Her Rest
Queen of Hearts
Under My Nose
The Other Shoe
Turn the Season
Running on Nothing
Remember My Name
A Slanted Tone
Serve Me Right
Truth I Know
Life In Paper
Ship of Fools
A Little Death
I Was There
Inside a Frame
The Recursive Girl
One More Night
Lights Go Up

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 02-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Bobb O)))

need to see them again
10/4-Melvins
Old 02-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Why does Fucked Up not come to Chicago and play DCTL. I love that album.

Tags
fucked up