Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 02-25-2012, 05:05 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Nine Inch Nails -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 28th, 2000

Nine Inch Nails
Support: A Perfect Circle
Date: April 28th, 2000
Venue: Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, Ontario

I’ve been finding a lot of setlists from shows I’ve been to on the past so I decided to post them. Some of them are with the help of setlist.fm, but these aren’t just me ripping setlists and posting them (that would be too easy). These are all shows I’ve been to and have stories to tell.

This was before A Perfect Circle had even released their debut album, I’d only just heard of Maynard from Tool having a new band so I was excited to see them. I don’t think anyone had even heard too much about them, everyone kept referring to them as “Maynard in a wig”. Unfortunatly I found them really mellow and fucking BORING. The first album was pretty laid back with not too many heavy moments and it didn’t transcend live very well.

A Perfect Circle
1. Magdalena 

2. 3 Libras 

3. Sleeping Beauty 

4. Breņa 

5. Orestes 

6. Thinking of You 

7. Thomas 

8 .Rose 

9. Judith

I had been listening to NIN for a really long time and was REALLY excited to finally see them live. The intro was fucking intense. It was basically Pinion off the Broken EP but a lot more chaotic, with a lot more distortion and samples added in. It’s still one of the greatest concert intro’s I’ve ever heard and seen in my life. The whole concert was a great example of how to put on a show that promotes your new album and satisfies your back catalogue. NIN only had three albums and an EP at the time so there wasn’t as much to choose from as later years but there was a great mix. Opening with two really old songs was cool and unexpected. They surprised me even more when they played Suck and Get Down, Make Love. They played “the hits” and a great selection of material from the recently released the Fragile (an album I still enjoy but feel would've been better regarded at the time if they trimmed a lot of the filler and made it one CD). And the encore was awesome with the drums they added to the Day the World Went Away and Hurt. It was just a great show.

Nine Inch Nails
(intro) The New Flesh / Pinion 

1. Terrible Lie 

2. Sin 

3. March of the Pigs 

4. Piggy 

5. The Frail 

6. The Wretched 

7. Gave Up 

8. La Mer 

9. The Great Below 

10. The Mark Has Been Made 

11. Wish 

12. Complication 

13. Suck
14. Get Down, Make Love
15. Closer 

16. Head Like a Hole 

Encore:
17. The Day the World Went Away 

18. Just Like You Imagined 

19. Starfuckers, Inc. 

20. Hurt

This was probably the best larger venue show I’ve ever been to. It was also the last time I ever went to Maple Leaf Gardens, which was a historic hockey arena in Toronto that was bought out by a major supermarket chain and is now a grocery store. This concert also happen on my last night of college. The next morning I moved out of residence and back in with my parents.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 -DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 02-25-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:36 PM
N00B

Oh my god, I love A Perfect Cricle and I'm heavily getting into NIN. I've only had a chance to listen to The Downward Spiral at this point, but it's already made a huge impact on what I think about music (especially with regards as to the 1990s vs today).

It sucked NIN had to stop touring 2 1/2 years before I start getting into them. They sounded like they put on such a great live show from almost everyone I've heard that had been to their shows.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:02 PM
N00B

"Moved out of residence and back in with my parents"

And there you still remain.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:14 PM
N00B

Great set by both bands! I'm still bummed I never got to see NIN, but I've always got the And All That Could Have Been album.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:11 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

NIN is an amazing live band. Seeing them on Lights In The Sky tour was hands down in my top 5 shows I've ever seen. The light show/display is easily the best I've ever seen & I know, no band will ever top that or even come close. Before I saw them I was not a huge fan. I was in love after their first show. Velvet I'd suggest next listen to Year Zero. Fantastic album, read on Wikipedia about album. They had the coolest, most intelligent marketing of this album.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:16 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300%_Density View Post
NIN is an amazing live band. Seeing them on Lights In The Sky tour was hands down in my top 5 shows I've ever seen.
I also saw this tour, the second date I think at Pemberton Fest in BC. The "Brain" computer they use on stage is fucking insane!!! I was pretty mindblown. Btw this is a solid set.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:07 PM
N00B

NIN will tour again. just gonna have to wait a few years. Trent is gonna do shows & release an album with How To Destroy Angels this year, continue being a new father, prolly fuck with some more soundtrack work, and come back to NIN as a live entity in the next 3 or 4 years. He said he's putting out NIN material this year or next also. Let' just hope his voice will be able to hold up as it has in a live setting.

I saw this tour at MSG. Manson came out and my little 20 year old mind was blown. You can see it on youtube or as a secret extra on the And All That Could Have Been live DVD.

Trent/NIN is my favorite artist, but i too agree about Lights In The Sky being the most impressive live show I've ever seen. Seeing NIN live, and the bang you get for your buck, makes it very hard to see other big arena acts and feel like it's comparable.

Iron Maiden certainly delivers in a similar way, as does Pearl Jam. Foo Fighters had a great HUGE stage show and long setlist on their fall '11 tour, but there was too much bullshit between songs and needless song extensions/singalongs for my taste. I never paid attention to Judas Priest before this past tour, but if they've always played that long, then they gotta be up there too.
Mineral-9/6
Joyce Manor-9/15
Uncle Acid-9/26
Old 02-26-2012, 05:23 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPogo View Post
"Moved out of residence and back in with my parents"

And there you still remain.
Sadly, I did stay there for five more years.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 -DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy
Old 02-26-2012, 09:53 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Sadly, I did stay there for five more years.
Hahahaha

I was just joking man, im glad you took it well.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:54 AM
N00B

By the way, Adam, is that Final Fantasy show you're going to a FF7 Show?

Tags
a perfect circle, nine inch nails