Midnight -- Toronto, Ontario -- July 12th, 2014
Satanic Warmaster -- Mexico City, Mexico -- July 5th, 2014
Dying Fetus -- Merriam, KS -- July 12th, 2014
Phobia -- Tempe, AZ -- July 11th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 02-22-2012, 11:57 AM
N00B

Megadeth -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- February 20th, 2012

Long time reader, first time poster. As a huge fan of Volbeat, Motorhead and Megadeth, this was an almost-perfect dream lineup and somewhat makes up for the fact that Anthrax, Testament and Death Angel (also an amazing lineup) skipped Vancouver. Again.

I'd only seen Volbeat once before at the Commodore (headlining) so while it was great to see them again in a bigger venue, the Commodore show was better. Crowd was more into them than I expected, which was great.

Motorhead I'd seen about 3 times before, all in LA, and as always if you love 'em you love 'em and if you don't you don't. I love 'em. Sound was very good I thought.

Megadeth setlist from setlist.fm since I didn't write it down at the time

Trust
Foreclosure of a Dream
Hook in Mouth
Skin o' My Teeth
Head Crusher
Public Enemy No. 1
Whose Life (Is It Anyways?)
Guns, Drugs & Money
Ashes in Your Mouth
Five Magics
A Tout Le Monde
(with Cristina Scabbia)
Symphony of Destruction
Peace Sells
Encore:
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due

May I just say how pleased I was to have Five Magics and Hook in Mouth take me off guard! I've seen Megadeth 15+ times since 1988 on the So Far So Good tour, and man, any change to the setlist is most welcome! Hook In Mouth I'd seen before but not for quite a few years. Five Magicks I've never seen live.

Adding so many from Countdown was (to me) a mild bummer but a huge crowd-pleaser. I found Countdown a downer when released, and Youthanasia even worse but as I age (44, almost 45) my taste for slower songs broadens so I quite enjoyed them. Fortunately, my fave Countdown song is Ashes in your Mouth so score there too.

I was so happy Wake up Dead was dropped, I was totally bummed we missed Poison was the Cure and Angry Again though I've seen them do Angry before. I was wondering if people could collect funds to pay bands for different setlists or something. Regardless, huge kudos to Dave and the boys for surprising me (us) for the first time in a long time. Last time I was surprised at a 'Deth show was 2001 or so.

Sound was SHIT, I only heard about 1/2 Dave's vocals. The sound man was asleep at the sheel, Dave would go to side mics that were off, and remained off for a good chunk of whatever Dave was saying. However, unlike in the 80's/90's Dave didn't throw his guitar down and stomp off stage so amazingly he seems to have remained clean for a while now! Kudos there too!

Volbeat and Motorhead had fine vocals though

Anyway, so glad I went, I was ready to stop going so often to Megadeth shows but now my faith is restored!

I sat next to a couple down from Whitehorse, Yukon, who came just for the show! For Americans, that's like Alaskans coming to Seattle just for a show. Nice, intelligent people, makes the inter-band wait much more pleasant. I sure felt old though, since I was talking about shows I'd been to from before they were born

Tip to Vancouverites: Getting to Abbotsford during rush hour need not be overly painful I've discovered. Take 0 Ave, at least if you're coming from Scurvy or Ditchmond (as I was). Less than an hour at 5:30 pm from mid-Richmond to the venue. Having said that, I'm glad Maiden's at the PNE and Van Halen are at the Garage.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:06 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopbuddy View Post
Long time reader, first time poster.
I think that's how I started my first post here a few years back as well. Ah, the memories.

Welcome to the forum.

We old farts have to stick together around here, as you probably already know if you've been lurking for a while.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Wrath!

Welcome to the board! A few of my friends went to this but I've seen Megadeth a few times now and can't stand the rest of the lineup. Sounded like a good show regardless!
Old 02-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

oooo, Hook In Mouth! And Ashes is still in the set. Dave is slowly making the recovery process from his asinine behavior last week.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:58 PM
N00B

That's an interesting setlist

Even though I still believe that 'Trust' is a terrible opener.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:09 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Well, again he changed a few songs. Definately a step in the right direction. And very cool review Man!!

07/21-Devourment (?)
07/28-Cannibal Corpse (?)
08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
Old 02-22-2012, 01:46 PM
N00B

Damn i hope they play Five Magic's in Denver and put Angry Again back in
Old 02-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Sad Wings Of Destiny

It's cool seeing Hook In Mouth, Foreclosure of a Dream and Five Magics in there but it's all ruined by opening with Trust.
10/15 - Amon Amarth, Sabaton
Old 02-22-2012, 04:14 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by girnny777 View Post
It's cool seeing Hook In Mouth, Foreclosure of a Dream and Five Magics in there but it's all ruined by opening with Trust
Well opening with Trust is better than them opening with Holy Wars, because if they open with Holy Wars they don't do the complete song at the end of the show, where it rightfully belongs, they only do that shitty reprise (as seen on The Big 4 DVD) where Dave introduces the band and only sings like the last line. Now, Sudden Death would make a good opener, if they would actually play that one live.
Rise Against (9/11)
Old 02-22-2012, 05:03 PM
Sad Wings Of Destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetgrass View Post
Well opening with Trust is better than them opening with Holy Wars, because if they open with Holy Wars they don't do the complete song at the end of the show, where it rightfully belongs, they only do that shitty reprise (as seen on The Big 4 DVD) where Dave introduces the band and only sings like the last line. Now, Sudden Death would make a good opener, if they would actually play that one live.
It's a shame we never got Dialectic Chaos/This Day We Fight as an opener, that would have been sick.
10/15 - Amon Amarth, Sabaton

Tags
megadeth